Thread: Android Market's most popular emulators disappear without a trace, and yongzh news

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

Default Android Market's most popular emulators disappear without a trace, and yongzh news

Android Market's most popular emulators disappear without a trace (update)

By Sean Hollister posted May 29th 2011 12:10PM

If you're an Android gamer, chances are you've heard of Nesoid, Snesoid, Gensoid, N64oid, Ataroid, Gearoid and Gameboid: they're all video game console emulators developed by yongzh, and many ranked among the most popular paid apps on the Android Market. This week, they've got something else in common, too -- they've all been abruptly removed. Following a complaint from Sega, two emulators were nixed late last month, but we're hearing that Google has since revoked yongzh's developer privileges, just like PSX4Droid comrade-in-arms ZodTTD. We're currently reaching out to both yongzh and Google for comment, and hope to hear back soon, but it's looking like a bleak week for the emulation community.

Update: We got in touch with yongzh (or Yong Zhang, as he's known in real life) to discuss the matter, and he confirms that his developer account has been removed and his apps pulled without warning -- cutting off his primary source of income and leaving him with an inbox stuffed with worried email from customers. He has, however, already migrated a number of emulators to third-party app store SlideME, where they'll be free for a while, allowing existing customers to get updates without paying a second time, and likely helping a number of new individuals to mooch off his troubles. He's not too optimistic about his prospects at SlideME, though.
    did sony have a hand in this,
    beacause of the Xperia Play?

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

That's horrible. Makes me glad I purchased my emulators when I did...

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

I find this very confusing as the key part of Android is Open Source. So when a program is made from open source code gets removed it's sad to see.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

Thats really lame. I tried a few emulators and thought it was hard to play some games. RPGs on the other hand are good to play imo. Im gonna go find them now just because.

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

From what I read, the developer Yong Zhang has copied the code for some for his emulators from existing emulators..Google might have found out about it and revoked his developer licence.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Exophase
    yongzh has received a relicense for gpSP by me, the sole copyright holder of the source he forked off of (he isn't using any code from any of the other forks). So Gameboid isn't violating any license agreements. It getting pulled is either at Google's discretion due to complaints against the owner in general or, more likely, Nintendo pressuring him. Remember, Google makes money off of his sales too. I doubt they'd remove emulators that didn't directly correlate to any particular person's specific complaint (nor would they take a complaint from some random non-copyright holder seriously). Nintendo, on the other hand..
    http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/0...From-App-Store

I believe the SNES emulator was based off Snes9x, the license of which does state only for non-commercial use, so he may be violating that.