Thread: Square

Mister Eff is offline Gone fishin -Hacks God

Default Square

I just downloaded an app called Square, it is available on Android and iPhone and it gives you the ability to take credit card payments with your phone. They ship you the reader for free and the only fee is a 2.75% charge per transaction. I am now waiting for the card reader, should make my Craigslist sales a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Android Market
    Accept payments everywhere, from garage sales to coffee shops. Free card reader.Accept credit cards on your Android device with no contract, monthly fees, or merchant account required. Every user receives a free Square credit card reader in the mail. Within minutes of downloading the app, you’re ready to take payments.

* For everyone. Now individuals and businesses can accept credit card payments anywhere, from garage sales to coffee shops.

* Easy to use. Plug in your free card reader and start swiping. Track sales, tips, tax and payment location.

* Safe and secure. Square meets all industry-standard security practices to ensure safety for you and your customers.

Square is an innovative point of sale solution that replaces your cash register and credit card terminal. Square accepts all major debit and credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Getting Started:

1. Download the App
    2. Activate your account
    3. Accept credit cards

Learn more at squareup.com.

Accept payments. Everywhere.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.squareup

I got the scanner in the mail yesterday and it works perfectly.

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

That's actually quite amazing. But how do they dead with fraud? ie you take a payment from something you sell in person via craigslist, and it turns out he used a stolen credit card?

For the stolen part I have no idea, but it does check to see if the card is authorized just like a store does. If the person reported it stolen or the person has insufficient funds it does not allow the transaction to go through. Also, from the site you can issue refunds.

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Well if they stole the card they would also have to steal the PIN. Square requires the customer to input PIN too right? Or maybe they can sign too and really, signitures don't add security.

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

Would have signed up instantly if it was open to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by ERIFNOMI View Post
    Well if they stole the card they would also have to steal the PIN. Square requires the customer to input PIN too right? Or maybe they can sign too and really, signitures don't add security.
    They sign, PIN is for debit and from what I can tell Square will always treat it like credit.

Argeoff is offline -Hacks Ninja

Cool find, now that is really something new and creative.
    Proud Owner : PSP 2000, Fully hackable mobo, 5.50 GEN-D2, 5.50 GEN-D3
    Fan Of One Piece, Chopper !!!