Thread: How can I download files to my phone?

Lourde Incarnadine is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Default How can I download files to my phone?

There are some files that you just can't download on the phone. In particular, I was going after a couple of oldschool ROMs for Nesoid and SNesoid. I go to download the ROMs, which are compressed in *.zip files, and end up with file that's 7.95kb regardless of what size it's supposed to be! I've poked around, but all of the advice I've seen on the subject says to either use Astro File Manager or Download Them All. I've tried both, before and after rooting, in the stock ROM and in Cyanogen, through Dolphin HD or the stock browser and... they just don't do it. I always end up with same results: a corrupted, incomplete 7.95kb file.

I can download *.apk files through the browser just fine, and I can download *.mp3s or compressed GBA ROMs via other apps like RomGet GBA Lite. *.zip files download fine if I'm grabbing phone-ROMs through something like ClockworkMod Recovery. But those NES and SNES games? About the only solution I've found is downloading them through the computer and using Dropbox. -_-;

Phone is a rooted DInc2, running CyanogenMod 7.1.0beta 1. Any suggestions on how to get it to download files on its own, without having to go through a computer first?

Currently running: PSP1001 with 5.50 GEN-B2 + Mystic Silver PSP3001 with 6.20 PRO B-9 (perma-patched).
    Rooted HTC Droid Incredible 2, CyanogenMod 7 v7.1.0-beta1.

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Have you tried other websites? Sounds pretty unusual to me, I just tried it and it worked fine
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

Weird, I guess that particular site (which is normally excellent*) isn't phone-friendly... I tried my second-favorite ROM depository and it worked ok.

This phone is making me feel like such a newb; these are retarded questions... >_<

* they do their own hosting, no voting, there aren't any ads, no waiting period between downloads, and you can download any ROM except for N64, GBA, or NeoGeo with a free membership. Paid memberships get you access to those + ISOs.
    Currently running: PSP1001 with 5.50 GEN-B2 + Mystic Silver PSP3001 with 6.20 PRO B-9 (perma-patched).

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

wait... ic2 can be rooted? did you use a xtc clip? did it come s-off? *runs too xdc"

oh sweet jesus yes! it can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    wait... ic2 can be rooted? did you use a xtc clip? did it come s-off? *runs too xdc"

oh sweet jesus yes! it can be done!
    Used AlphaRevX beta for the S-OFF, then once it was rooted I downloaded a Cyanogen beta from a messageboard and threw it on to the phone from my SD card with ClockworkMod Recovery/ROM Manager. AFAIK there isn't a stable, release version yet but the beta's working fine so far. Phone ain't exploded or nothin'. I can't see a single compelling reason to go back to stock anymore, even rooted stock.

If you're on Verizon, make sure you take care of your email. AFAIK they only do it with DInc2s, but when you sign up for Verizon they opt you in (without asking you or telling you, of course) to a VZW mailbox that keeps copies of all of the email that comes through accounts associated with the phone, any contacts that you've added since the initial transfer from your last phone, and possibly other stuff. I had to go to myverizonwireless.com and search through account settings before finally unsyncing my preexisting email accounts from this service. From what I've heard, it's part of some DInc2-specific syncing app that they use. I'm not even sure that the employees know they're doing it, it's just a checklist item to them. -_-

It's not necessary (you can still receive email without it) and pissed me off when I found out about it. Just make sure you copy out or back up the phone numbers that it has stored; I lost those contacts and had to re-enter them in my phone after deleting them from the VZW account's syncing info.

Only sign I had that something was up was when I started getting txts from 6250 that would just say "VZWNMN: #" whenever I had a new email in my Gmail account... glad I found this info while trying to figure it out.

Oh well, back to trying to figure out Tasker (i.e. my $6.49 inferiority complex...).

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Glad to see AlphaRevX worked for you, it didnt seem like you trusted it too much when i recommended it to you in your other thread.

And yeah, I knew it had to be the site you were using
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

It's not like I have a Pandora battery for my phone; felt like I had to be a little careful. <_<

Anyways, got some basic stuff with Tasker figured out, like turning on & connecting Wifi when I get home, or turning on the GPS when I use certain apps that need it (and turning it off when they close). Journey of a thousand miles, man. Journey of a thousand miles.

BTW, first time I visited this forum with my Droid I got a window talking about downloading an app but skipped through it, and the window no longer dispays. What app was it talking about?

:EDIT: Next project will either be rooting a friend's Droid X for him or turning another friend's Nook Color into a CyanogenMod 7 tablet.

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

tapatalk is the app

Thanks, man.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

I wish more sites would download on the phone. I saw a certain site that specializes in Android apps; you'd think they'd support phone downloads!

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk