Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S II

  
  1. #1
    PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Doesn't Matter
    Posts
    584
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Samsung Galaxy S II

    I'm really interested in buying a Samsung Galaxy S II. I have a few questions I'd like to be answered.
    This would be my first smartphone. Although I've used many, I've never personally owned one.


    - I heard it comes with Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)

    Is that correct? If it is, is it possible to upgrade the Android OS to some of later versions? Meaning, will it be locked on v2.3.3?

    - I read on Engadget its browser has problems when rendering

    Is that correct? Does it by any means affect the whole browsing experience?

    - It's large compared to other smartphones

    Does its size affect its lightweight mobility? Meaning, is it large enough to become a pain fitting in your jeans pockets? This will of course vary from user to user.


    So far I only have these questions. If I get more, I'll ask here.
    Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

    Zero, I believe you have one. How would you rate it?


  2. #2
    Organized_Chaos's Avatar
    Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,768
    Rep Power
    53962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    - I heard it comes with Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)
    Is that correct? If it is, is it possible to upgrade the Android OS to some of later versions? Meaning, will it be locked on v2.3.3?
    When official updates come out, yes - you will be able to update to newer versions. Until then, you can probably install custom ROMs (custom OS) to get functionality of any newer version with additional tweaks and hacks created by the developers.

    - I read on Engadget its browser has problems when rendering
    Is that correct? Does it by any means affect the whole browsing experience?
    I'm not sure on this one. If the browser sucks then you can try Firefox, Dolphin, or Opera.


    I don't know about the other question, I've never used a Galaxy S II.

  3. #3
    h3nno is offline -Hacks Smarty
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austalia
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    - It's large compared to other smartphones

    Does its size affect its lightweight mobility? Meaning, is it large enough to become a pain fitting in your jeans pockets? This will of course vary from user to user.


    So far I only have these questions. If I get more, I'll ask here.
    Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

    Zero, I believe you have one. How would you rate it?
    I don't own one but I have been told that they "feel" lighter than an iPhone.

    Galaxy S II - 116g
    iPhone 4g - 137g

    Try the size out, walk in to your service provider put one in your pocket and walk out?
    Black fat PSP - OFW 2.50 > OFW 3.03 > GTA:LCS downgrade to 1.50 > CFW 3.90m33-3 w/ 1.5 kernal addon > 4.01m33 > semi-brick > full brick > CFW 3.90m33-3. > 4,01m33-2 w/ 1.5 kernal addon and 4.05 visualizations.

    Hacked: 21 Fats 12 Slims.

  4. #4
    PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Doesn't Matter
    Posts
    584
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    When official updates come out, yes - you will be able to update to newer versions. Until then, you can probably install custom ROMs (custom OS) to get functionality of any newer version with additional tweaks and hacks created by the developers.
    Hmm. So can I update from Gingerbread (The latest being 2.3.5) to Honeycomb (The latest being 3.2)? Or is it officially able to update to only Gingerbread (2.x.x) releases?



    I'm even more interested after seeing video reviews comparing it to other smartphones.

    Two questions:

    - Is it out in the US yet?

    I think I read somewhere that it should be out on August 29th. I'm not sure exactly where it was.
    Is there any indication that it will be provided by AT&T?

    - What does installing custom ROMs give?

    I thought the Android OS was already open. What are the benefits of running custom ROMs?
    My knowledge is basically zero when it comes to Android features. Is it possible to run unsigned code on it?

  5. #5
    iamafreak's Avatar
    iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,343
    Rep Power
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post

    - Is it out in the US yet?

    I think I read somewhere that it should be out on August 29th. I'm not sure exactly where it was.
    Is there any indication that it will be provided by AT&T?
    Yeah, 29-Aug is the launch date

    It will be provided by Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T

  6. #6
    PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Doesn't Matter
    Posts
    584
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks for the answers. I have one more question.

    - What are all of these variants?

    I mean I've been reviewing the Galaxy S II and it really impressed me. But then I see the so called variants. Do they have different specs?
    What is the Galaxy S II in this review called? Simply Galaxy S II or is it a certain model?

  7. #7
    PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Doesn't Matter
    Posts
    584
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    - What are all of these variants?

    I mean I've been reviewing the Galaxy S II and it really impressed me. But then I see the so called variants. Do they have different specs?
    What is the Galaxy S II in this review called? Simply Galaxy S II or is it a certain model?
    Somebody please answer this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •