Thread: I think I installed the wrong kernel

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Default I think I installed the wrong kernel

I was trying to install clockworkmod recovery on my captivate but I think I flashed the wrong kernel. The tutorial I followed said I had to install a custom kernel to be able to install cwn. I don't know which one I installed-I'm at work and can't check.

I noticed this morning that my phone seemed reluctant to unlock and now I've noticed it doesn't see my headphones so I can't listen to music while I'm at work.

Could someone point me to the right kernel for my phone? I don't want a custom ROM, I just want the clockwork recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Download Odin here.

Optional: Restore to stock everything first. There's also this tool to do it instead of Odin3, looks pretty good. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944418

Using Odin, flash the stock recovery from here. Then follow the directions in that thread to install ClockworkMod. Should be pretty straighforward
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

Thank you, works perfectly. You're a lifesaver.

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

If you're only using Odin to restore recovery you'll still want another kernel. If I were you, I'd use odin to restore to 100% stock, just to be safe. You'll lose your data though. Then you can start over knowing there aren't any pre-existing problems.

The only kernel I found for the captivate on RootzWiki is for AOSP ROMs such has CM. There might be more for your phone xda-developers. RootzWiki is a newer site and old phones aren't that popular there.

I flashed back to 100% stock, installed CWM, then I installed Onix kernel v2.0.5 since it has the potential to overclock the processor to 1.6GHz. Not sure if I'll really leave it high but it'll be fun to play around with. I'll probably end up leaving it somewhere between 1.2 and 1.4GHz if I can get it to OC that high.