Thread: nexus s battery life and rooting

Rambokill is offline -Hacks Hacker

Default nexus s battery life and rooting

My nexus s(unlocked) arrived 2 days ago and I love it at least for now.The only thing I found to be annoying it battery life .I ve read that if you reset factory data it will fix the battery issue (What are APN settings.Does it have to do anything with reseting fd) .Is this a permanent solution ,what do you suggest so I can save battery life.I never use 3g only wi-fi.
    What can you do if you root your phone?Plz respond I am a real NOOOOOOB.

PSP SLIM AND LITE CERAMIC WHITE>5.00 M33-6>LEDA0.2>m33_630 ADDON
    LOL

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

First off, you have one of these easiest phones to root. It's a google experience phone and only takes a few commands with ADB/fastboot that come with the Android SDK.

APN is Access Point Name. It's how your data is routed over the phone network.

Factory reset will just return your phone to complete stock, exactly as it was when it shipped from Google/Samsung.

Now, root means getting root access. This is mostly used so apps can run with root privileges. If you've never used Linux this might be new to you. It's similar to having admin rights in Windows. In Android, which is built on the Linux kernel, root access gives you access to, well, root. Apps which are designed to have root access can control any part of the phone. This includes under-/overclocking the CPU, accessing the system folder which lets you do proper app backups and theme-ing, and running custom ROMs which are versions of Android modified by the community to add features or give the phone a certain look and feel.

I like my phone rooted. I have Titanium Backup which runs scheduled backups every night of my most important apps/ settings plus any new or updated app. Custom ROMs are often much better than stock ROMs, especially for phones that aren't in the Nexus series which have a lot of carrier bloat and OEM skins by default.

I would recommend you visit RootzWiki.com. I've been a member there since inception and it's really a great community. Extremely friendly. You can also check out xda-developers but be careful if you post a question. Flaming is a way of life there.

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

If you really are always on wifi, go to settings>Wireless & Network settings>Mobile Networks> and check the box that says "Use only 2g networks".

This will save you battery, but wont let you use 3/4g while it's enabled.

You can also try a custom kernel and undervolt/underclock your cpu to save power. If that's not enough you can try these too: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

AND

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

With that one ^ you can do the undervolt/underclocking and also set up profiles that can save you even more battery, but you need to root the phone first.

Good luck
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

Rambokill is offline -Hacks Hacker

Thanks for responding.People were claiming that if you reset your factory settings your nexus s battery life will be improved significantly.Someone mentioned that if your phone was unlocked you had to write down APN settings(Is that important).I got the idea of rooting your phone but I will root it as soon as school year starts(I kinda wanna learn more of the current android unmodified os). Thanks a lot for your help ERIFNOMI(IMONFIRE lol).

As for that Dookie I ve already unmarked every single box in mobile networks.I will try all of your suggestions as soon as I root my phone.I appreciate your help.
    PSP SLIM AND LITE CERAMIC WHITE>5.00 M33-6>LEDA0.2>m33_630 ADDON
    LOL