The following are a general list of forum rules. We ask that you read these rules before posting in the forums.
- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful or threatening posts against any forum member are prohibited and will result in an immediate ban.
- Religious and racist jokes, slurs, etc. may be deemed offensive and insulting to others and are NOT permitted on our forums.
- Adult content, such as pornography, may be offensive to some members and is thus prohibited and will be removed.
- Flaming or insulting members in signatures is prohibited. Offenders will have their signatures removed and will receive an infraction.
2. Advertising and Spam
- Making an account just to spam will result in an immediate, permanent ban. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- In an effort to reduce the amount of link spamming we encounter, we have implemented some new rules into the forum. Effective immediately, you must be a member for a minimum of 30 days and have a minimum of 30 forum posts in order to post links, images, use bbcodes, have a signature, send PM's (you can still receive PM's) or to create a blog. In addition, the same rules apply in regards to the ability to send PMs and the ability to post visitor messages (you can after 30 days/30 posts).
- DO NOT create duplicate accounts. Secondary accounts will be permanently banned and initial accounts will receive a temporary ban.
- DO NOT make a topic just to advertise a website.
- Spamming websites deliberately in posts will result in links being removed and an infraction or possible ban at a moderator's discretion.
- Linkbucks/Sharecash links or any link which generates money are NOT permitted on our forums. Posts containing such links will be removed and the forum member will be banned.
- DO NOT use "link-shielding" services to hide Linkbucks/Sharecash links or any link which generates money. Posts containing such links will be removed and the forum member will be banned.
- DO NOT post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Posts containing referral links will be removed and the forum member will be banned. This also applies to user profiles and signatures.
- Making threads about your post count is not permitted and threads will be deleted. People really don't care that you reached 1000; You're not the first.
- DO NOT post just to increase your post count (post boosting).
3. Illegal/Copyrighted Material
- DO NOT post links to copyrighted material, or websites that offer copyrighted material. Links will be removed and the forum member will receive an infraction or possible ban at a moderator's discretion. Copyrighted material includes, but is not limited to, any game ISOs, ROMs, rips (etc.) that are not freeware, music that is not free to download, copyright protected movies, and anything else protected by copyright laws.
- DO NOT link to copyrighted material in your signature. The link will be removed and the forum member will receive an infraction or possible ban at a moderator's discretion.
- DO NOT request links to copyrighted material. This includes through PM. Offenders will be warned or banned.
4. Forum Etiquette
- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Members are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting. Members consistently posting in the wrong forum may be given a warning.
- Please do not request private help via e-mail or PM. This is a public forum where help provided is there for all to benefit from.
- Be patient and polite; no one here is paid to help and we all have lives outside of the forums.
- Please try and avoid hijacking a thread because the original question closely matches yours. It's always far better to start a new topic than cut into someone else's and start to take it away on a tangent - this is confusing for all and makes replying difficult.
- If you have something to post and you're not sure which forum it belongs in, do not post it in more than one forum (cross posting). If the administrators or moderators think it would fit better in another location, it will be moved there. Duplicate threads only serve to create confusion, and repeat offenders will receive an infraction.
- No "Bumping" (Your threads/posts): Please do not repeatedly bump your threads to try and get attention. Most members of the site are not online 24 hours a day, so they will not see your post the instant it is made. Do not bump a thread within 24 hours.
- No "Bumping" (Others threads/posts): Before replying to a thread, take notice of the last post date. Try and avoid replying to posts more than 3 months old. If you have a similar question and cannot find the answer, create your own thread.
- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is members should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or colored text, etc. Similarly members should not SHOUT in topic titles or posts. Members consistently abusing this will be warned.
- If you can't provide anything helpful or productive to a topic, don't post in it.
- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new thread. DO NOT create a topic with a title that has nothing to do with the thread content.
- To prevent your topic from being deleted/locked - use the SEARCH function. Furthermore, to prevent your topic from being deleted/locked - DO NOT post nonsense, misinformation or false claims.
- Please keep in mind that not everyone knows how to hack/mod consoles. If someone (i.e., a new member) asks a question that you feel has been answered a thousand times over and you feel the urge to flame (insult) this member, DON'T.
5. Regarding Moderation, Reporting Posts & the Ignore Feature
- Members are asked to not act as 'back seat moderators'. If members note an issue which contravenes something in forum policy, they are welcome to bring it to the attention of a member of the Moderator Team. Please use the 'Report Post' feature to report posts. The report button is located to the upper-right of posts:
- DO NOT respond to such topics yourself. Members who constantly 'act' as moderators may be warned.
- DO NOT PM moderators with your reports. PMs don't help us resolve issues that have already been reported.
- If there is a member you're unable to get along with, use the ignore feature found under the Settings & Options section of your User Control Panel.
- If someone is deliberately being disruptive report them, but if it’s a personality conflict than it’s your responsibility not to react to them. Use the tools we provide.
- Only one image is permitted. Signature images will be tolerated within the following restrictions; 500px width limit, 150px height limit.
- Only images are permitted. Embedded videos in signatures are not permitted.
- "Hiding" an image that exceeds the allowable signature dimensions within spoiler tags is not permitted.
- Images that are suggestive, graphic or obscene are not permitted.
- Affiliate or referral links are NOT permitted.
- If your signature violates the signature guidelines it will be removed.
- You may also advertise your own personal site with a link in your signature, rather than spam our forum with advertisement topics.
- Users who do not wish to see member signatures may disable them in their User Profiles via the User Control Panel.
7. The Reputation System
- User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of a user's benefit to our forums. Its basis comes from the opinions of all forum users that choose take part in it.
- Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take away points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.
- Click on the icon in the upper-right of posts to give or take away from a user's reputation.
What are good reasons to leave positive reputation?
- Reputation should be given to people who post meaningful and helpful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more green bars next to their name isn't a good reason to give positive reputation.
What are good reasons to leave negative reputation?
- Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. Posting misinformation, nonsense or false claims are also reasons to give a person negative reputation.
- If you have a personal grudge with someone, it is not appropriate to give them negative reputation without reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropriate use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.
- DO NOT abuse the reputation system. Consistently giving users positive or negative reputation for no reason will result in repercussions.
- DO NOT abuse people through the reputation system. Posting hateful comments through the system will result in an infraction or ban at a moderator's discretion.
- DO NOT whinge about all negative reputations. Using the reputation system properly is NOT abuse.
- DO NOT contact moderators to deal with reputation complaints. Only administrators have the power to deal with reputation disputes.
- DO NOT whinge about negative reputation in the forums. Doing so will result in an infraction or possible ban at a moderator's discretion.
- DO NOT whinge about negative reputation in your signature. Doing so will result in an infraction or possible ban at a moderator's discretion.
- If you have a valid complaint about reputation, send a private message to any administrator with a link to the post you were given incorrect reputation. All complaints will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and changes to the reputation are not guaranteed.
The forums are a privilege, not an entitlement. Under our community guidelines we reserve the right to ban anyone who does not follow the rules.
If for any reason you are banned for a day to a few days (often referred as a suspension) and decide to make duplicate accounts, your ban WILL be extended all the way up to a permanent ban, so please, if you are suspended, just wait out the time you are, and it won't kill you.
You obey these simple rules, you should be fine, and enjoy the forums.
The —Hacks staff assume members have read these rules and will not except ignorance as an excuse for not following them.
The breaking of any rule WILL lead to you being warned or even banned without notice so don't risk it!
This list is not exhaustive and may be amended or added to at anytime as required and without notice so check back regularly.