Thread: iPhone 4 And 3GS Are The Best-Selling Smartphones In The U.S.

lcf13 is offline Varcolac Moderator -Hacks Veteran

Default iPhone 4 And 3GS Are The Best-Selling Smartphones In The U.S.

iPhone 4 And 3GS Are The Best-Selling Smartphones In The U.S.

It may not come as a massive surprise that Apple’s iPhone, despite the excessive price-tag, is the top-selling smartphone in the U.S. market right now

What is interesting, though, is that it is followed by its predecessor – the iPhone 3GS, which despite being over two years old, continues to outsell Android-based devices from likes of Samsung and HTC. Here we list the top 5 selling devices in the second quarter:
    1. Apple iPhone 4
    2. Apple iPhone 3GS
    3. HTC EVO 4G
    4. HTC Inspire 4G
    5. Samsung INTENSITYII
    Despite iPhone 4 leading the pack from older brother 3GS, the report by research company NPD did show that Android OS covers the lion’s share of the market with 52% of new sales during Q2 of this year. iOS claimed a solid 29% share, while RIM’s BlackBerry device/OS only managed to muster 11% of the market – further evidence that the once market-leading range is continuing its rapid downward plummet towards the tech scrapheap. BlackBerry Messenger was a huge reason why RIM’s devices were so popular a couple of years ago, but the advances made on other platforms, and the ease in which one can freely communicate through WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger apps has left the BlackBerry exposed – with not a lot else left to reel in customers.
    Despite the lack of a new iPhone which is usually launched at the end of Q2, Apple has still managed to keep consumers interested with the introduction of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 on Verizon which launched in February. The tediously elongated release of the white iPhone 4 in April kept the Cupertino in the headlines, but by that time many had either decided to wait for the next device, bought a conversion kit, or actually realized that in reality, the white iPhone doesn’t look that nice.
    Although we now have the much-improved iPhone 4 and are looking ahead to the fifth installment, it is important to pay homage to a smartphone which has exceeded anybody’s expectations in terms of sales and longevity. The iPhone 3GS is free today at Best Buy on a two year AT&T plan as opposed to the usual $49, so grab yourself a great device which will undoubtedly go down as a classic by clicking here.
    With Apple perched so nicely atop the rest, can you see maybe, HTC or Samsung catching the iPhone any time soon?

SonySux is offline -Hacks Newbie

That's a shame. Has anyone else here studied economics? Does anyone remember studying a category of goods called 'snob factor goods'? They're the type of goods which companies sell to attract those who like to think that they have more expensive goods than everyone else and that expensive must mean better. Such goods typically account for a small market share, with maximum return on investment for the manufacturer. These goods maintain a high price (often the highest in the market) to psychologically attract and exploit a particular kind of people. So, when these people feel satisfied with their elitist goods, the company cracks the champaigne bottles at their expense. I note that recently Apple had a higher reserve of cash than the U.S. government. Some companies I've worked for called Apple the best marketer in the world. (they don't manufacture...ANYTHING, it's mostly sub-contracted in China).

This is not the case for every iPhone owner. Of course they're people who want particular features, trust a brand they find reliable and those who are tech-savvy etc. But Looking at Apple's sales, unfortunately that seems to be a very small proportion of the population.

As a final note, from a business perspective, I find it shocking and dangerous that Apple recently sought and succeeded with an injunction to a competitor's new flagship device - (Samsung) without that company's knowledge (which is legal in a very few places in the world). This is not healthy competition. I adored many philosophies that Apple has shown in other areas, such as creating competition with Microsoft etc. But this is ugly. Now that Google has bought Motorola, and they have pending lawsuits with Apple and Microsoft, based on technology in the iPhone that Motorola invented 15 years ago, I hope Google drains them dry. Let the patent war begin. (I don't trust or like Google either, but they can bring commercial justice here.)

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

All eyes are on Google now to knock Apple off their ego trip. It's nice to see in 2 years Android has gained crazy momentum. I think consumers are finally seeing the benefits of multiple OEMs and the freedom of choice. Helps that Apple is having a rage fit, copying Android features in iOS 5, and getting all around bad publicity.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    All eyes are on Google now to knock Apple off their ego trip. It's nice to see in 2 years Android has gained crazy momentum. I think consumers are finally seeing the benefits of multiple OEMs and the freedom of choice. Helps that Apple is having a rage fit, copying Android features in iOS 5, and getting all around bad publicity.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Too right!! And did you see that patent lawyers have pinned down the top patents that they now own, which Motorola bought/invented 15 years ago? All of the top patents are the branded features in the iPhone...haha! And one of the existing cases Moto Mobil. has against MicroFart is to get the Xbox 360 off the market...going to get rough........

dm646 is offline Moderator -Hacks Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by SonySux View Post
    That's a shame. Has anyone else here studied economics? Does anyone remember studying a category of goods called 'snob factor goods'? They're the type of goods which companies sell to attract those who like to think that they have more expensive goods than everyone else and that expensive must mean better. Such goods typically account for a small market share, with maximum return on investment for the manufacturer. These goods maintain a high price (often the highest in the market) to psychologically attract and exploit a particular kind of people. So, when these people feel satisfied with their elitist goods, the company cracks the champaigne bottles at their expense. I note that recently Apple had a higher reserve of cash than the U.S. government. Some companies I've worked for called Apple the best marketer in the world. (they don't manufacture...ANYTHING, it's mostly sub-contracted in China).

This is not the case for every iPhone owner. Of course they're people who want particular features, trust a brand they find reliable and those who are tech-savvy etc. But Looking at Apple's sales, unfortunately that seems to be a very small proportion of the population.

As a final note, from a business perspective, I find it shocking and dangerous that Apple recently sought and succeeded with an injunction to a competitor's new flagship device - (Samsung) without that company's knowledge (which is legal in a very few places in the world). This is not healthy competition. I adored many philosophies that Apple has shown in other areas, such as creating competition with Microsoft etc. But this is ugly. Now that Google has bought Motorola, and they have pending lawsuits with Apple and Microsoft, based on technology in the iPhone that Motorola invented 15 years ago, I hope Google drains them dry. Let the patent war begin. (I don't trust or like Google either, but they can bring commercial justice here.)

i remember that...and i think its funny how that section describes my current boss... like he would rather pay 100% more for a dewalt orbital sander rather then get a royboy (or however its spelt)...just cause its "better" they both do the same thing... dewalt 80$ the other one 40$...
    THREAD RULES:
    don’t bash anyone asking for help
    don’t use this thread to start a flame war
    don’t use unsuitable language (this is a child friendly thread)
    if you find an error with this thread please post it in red (like this line) with your help we will keep any brick possibilities to a minimum
    Do not use red for anything else.

im glad that i opened thread that pulled so much comments, well here is what i say... apple haters come on! its matter of personal choice, i will newer buy a android device especially that samsung galaxy, cos im a hard core apple fan., on the other side same thing goes for all of u, so...

one thing that im surprised that someone actually pulled of is a totaly different approach from the economics side which i agreed and congratulate to sonysux for pointing that out! Bravo man! all exept this line "Some companies I've worked for called Apple the best marketer in the world. (they don't manufacture...ANYTHING, it's mostly sub-contracted in China)." this is true, but all big and medium companies does like apple do, cos that is called cutting the expences(or slavery) whatewer!

Nice to see a hot debate that doesn't get out of control...it's just a little debating! Emmm did everyone see the news? Steve Jobs just quit as CEO.

man, well this is probably one of many(hopefully) retirements , but by the way he sounds it looks final!

SO, IT LOOKS TO ME THAT APPLE STOCKS IS GOING DOWN!

alltough mr.tim probably is just a figure...