Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple Roach Motel Software for 3G 2.1 Phones

randyguthrie is offline -Hacks Newbie

I tried upgrading my iPhone using a Mac and here is what happened.

When I tried to upgrade my iPhone 3G to 2.1 I went through the normal procedure of having Pwnage build a custom ipsw file and then installed it with iTunes. When I tried to do an update the procedure generated an error. I believe that it was number 17 but I could be wrong. I then put the phone into recovery mode and did a restore. Everything seemed to be great except that the AT&T logo was not showing and I only had one bar no matter what. Needless to say I could not make any phone calls. I then restored the phone using my old custom 2.0.2 ipsw file and it looked good. I had signal and the AT&T logo. I tried the update again and got the same error. I tried the restore again and got the same problem with the logo and signal. I restored again with 2.0.2 and everything seems to be ok.

I then decided to check that the real 2.1 would run ok. It does. Then I tried to load pwn'ed 2.1, pwn'ed 2.0.2, and Apple's 2.0.2. As I tried to restore each of the ipsw files I received an error from iTunes. Obviously Apple's 2.1 has some kind of 'Roach Motel' software that does not let you restore other firmwares. I am now stuck in Apple's non-jailbroken 2.1 Roach Motel.

imported_Franny is offline -Hacks Hacker

Damn, after all that you get stuck.

Quickpwn?
    16GB iPhone 2G
    Jailbroken 3.0
    AT&T

I tried Quickpwn on Windows and the same thing happened. As soon as the computer tried to upload the firmware it received an error from the phone. Like I said Apple has added some new form of Jailbreak prevention.

Diabloghst is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

probably cuz u have itunes 8

imported_nedthehead is offline -Hacks Neophyte

If you can, I`d try restoring your iPhone with a fresh install of iTunes on a different computer ;)

Really? What are the issues with iTunes 8? I could always reinstall iTunes 7.

Aliandro Operator is offline -Hacks Guru

iTunes 8 has a work-around not to let you use CFW's. It checks the FW before installing it. There is a patch being worked on right now but am not sure if its out or not.
    I suggest you remove iTunes using a third-party uninstaller such as Your Uninstaller 2008 or Smart Uninstaller or something similar to make sure ALL iTunes related files are removed.
    After that, install iTunes 7.x or whichever you want.

That should probably work. :)

The Operator!
    Legend: (FW): Firmware. (OFW): Official FW. (CFW): Custom FW. (BB): Baseband. (JAU): Jailbreak/Activate/Unlock. (MFW): Modem Firmware. (SA) SIM Adapter.

That sounds right. The installation craps out just at the time when iTunes would normally begin flashing the phone which is why I had assumed that the problem was in the phone, but it could have just as easily been iTunes doing a final check.

There is just one problem with your idea though. Why is it that I cannot reinstall Apple's 2.0.2? Do you think that iTunes also checks the existing firmware on the phone and then craps out if the installed version number is greater than that of the new install?

It is weird that I seem to be the only one with the problem. You would think that everyone would be getting hit with it and complaining all over these forums.

Aliandro Operator is offline -Hacks Guru

No thats not exactly right.
    You can easily use iTunes to upgrade to an OFW (Original Firmware). It doesnt check the iPhone's FW, it checks the FW your trying to instal, as in, the Firmware File.

Also, you wouldnt lose anything by downgrading iTunes. So I suggest you do.

If anything with your current situation, there must be some sort of a mistake or error of some sort. Know what am saying?

Anyhow, for now, try using iTunes again to install the OFW you want, even though I suggest you upgrade to a CFW. Try your best and report back.

The Operator.
    Legend: (FW): Firmware. (OFW): Official FW. (CFW): Custom FW. (BB): Baseband. (JAU): Jailbreak/Activate/Unlock. (MFW): Modem Firmware. (SA) SIM Adapter.

If I had not methodically gone through the above procedure I would agree with you, especially since no one else seems to be having a problem. I can assure you though that iTunes gave me an error when I tried to install OFW 2.0.2. In post http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8382 seems to have had the same problem that I did though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast