Thread: Roll Back Achieved - 2.2 iPhone 3G to something Accidentally

sappersmash is offline -Hacks Newbie

I have an iPhone 3G which I was attempting to roll back from 2.2 to 2.1 using the .ipsw file I found through Google and I have achieved it.

Through all the searching I had done I thought that it was not possible to roll back from 2.2 to 2.1 with out changing the baseline?

Any way, I tried to restore the iPhone through iTunes using the .ipsw file I had and it failed on 4 attempts through an Error 1013. Through all my research I thought this was due to the baseline requiring a change?

So I tried to update the firmware using Quickpwn 2.2 on an XP machine and that failed due to a firmware error.

Prior to using quickpwn the iphone was stuck on the connect to itunes screen and would only boot to this screen. After the quickpwn failure the ipod would boot to a screen showing the connect to itunes image but also the slider to unlock for an emergency call.

It would then unlock when slid to the emergency dial screen.

Here is the strange part, I didnt do anything else to the iphone. It would only boot to this hybrid screen but would show signal strength and time.

I connected to itunes and it displayed an iphone but had no other options and when I attempted to reboot to the DFU mode it wouldn't boot.
    After 2 or 3 reboots the iPhone booted to the correct iphone home screen. It's now fully functioning with the old firmware.

Is this a known thing to do? I couldn't find any info on doing it when I tried to search before.

So I thought I would do my best to explain this on here and somebody who knows what they are doing could explain it if it is a new method for the 3G 2.2 firmware roll back or at least explain to me what I actually did right :P

Here is the output of my about screen:

Network: Not Available
    Songs: 17
    Videos: 0
    Photos: 0
    Capacity: 7.1GB
    Available: 6.8GB
    Version: 2.0 (5A347)
    Modem Firmware: 02.28.00

Again as I said, the only reason I have posted all this babble is that I have no idea what I did to fix it or to roll it back from 2.2 which I thought was impossible without a baseline change?

usedcargodd is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

You can downgrade your FW but your baseband will stay the same. You cannot unlock a phone with the 2.3 baseband. You can downgrade your BB from 2.3 to 2.28 if your bootloader is not over 5.9 So your phone was outdated to begin with or you couldn't have. I think the thing that saved you is the Custom FW you found on Google. lol, either way, good job!

Quote Originally Posted by sappersmash
    Is this a known thing to do? I couldn't find any info on doing it when I tried to search before.
    To answer your question, it is known but there is really not a benefit to it. YOU, out of very few 3G users, can actually update their FW and still have an unlockable phone.

Edit - Haha, I just noticed how old the original post was. lmao, so yeah. Hope that helps yah a year later.
    2G 16Gb 3.0
    100% Working on T-Mobile