Thread: iPhone 3GS without the AT&T contract?

jigar7 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hi all,

I live in Ohio (United States) and I wanted to purchase an iPhone 3GS (16 GB) which costs around 600USD without the AT&T contract from an Apple Store in the United States.
    My question is... If I buy an iphone without the AT&T contract, will I be able to use SIM cards of network carriers in other countries?
    I have a traveling job, so I prefer to switch to a local network carrier in whichever country I reside in. I guess that is a cheaper option, rather than talking on the phone with international roaming activated... very expensive!!!

I don't think I'm gonna buy it before I get a conformation that the phone will work with other SIM cards. I don't want to end up locking my phone when I am in some other country (mainly UK, Australia, Dubai...... and US of course).

son_of_satan666 is offline -Hacks Guru

hey man...

if you buy the phone from the apple store it should be a factory unlocked phone meaning it should work with any sim any network..

however just incase if does not work you can always hack the iphone using redsn0w this will also allow you to use any sim any network in any country..:mrgreenthumbsup:

ps next time please post your que in help thanx...:mrgreenthumbsup:
    D3aTh

JTucker is offline -Hacks Smarty

One of my friend has bought an iPhone without the AT&T contract..But he can not use different sims in it...I don't know the exact reason but when he changes a sim,then the network connection disappears..
    I guess this information will help you..

siggenis is offline -Hacks Newbie

DOWNGRADE IPHONE 3GS FROM OS 4.0 TO OS 3.1.3
    ONLY WORKS WITH THE IPHONE 3GS

Did you upgrade your iphone 3GS 3.1.3 to OS 4.0 via iTunes and you can’t jailbreak it? You want to downgrade it back to 3.1.3?
    Follow these steps and you can easily downgrade it back to 3.1.3.

THIS ONLY WORKS FOR THE IPHONE 3GS DO NOT ATTEMPT ON ANY OTHER IPHONE

Step 1) Disable your antivirus

Step 2) Download Official Firmware “iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw�

Step 3) Put your iphone in recovery mode ( power off iphone, hold home button while connecting to computer usb, when iTunes logo appears on your iphone you can release the home button).

Step 4) Download usbview, extract and run it and click on options then select config descriptors and then hit F5. Find the root from the left that is your iphone. Now find your iphone’s ECID number, select it and copy it.

Step 5) Download latest java from www.java.com
    Step 6) Download fw-umbrella-semaphore-222 and also download TinyTSS Quick, extract and run umbrella.exe. Type your ECID number, select the devise version iPhone 3gs – 3.1.3, and select SHSH Repository Saurik – Cydia. Finally click submit and wait for about 30-40 seconds on the status bar you should see success and done. The SHSH file is going to be saved in the same folder where umbrella.exe is.

Step 7) Open notepad (Windows Vista/7 right click and open as administrator), click file and open and go to “c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\� . Choose to show All files and open hosts.

At the end of the document add and then save:
    #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Step 8) Open TinyTSSQuick.bat and type the location of your SHSH file and hit enter then type your SHSH file name e.x. 1111111111111-iphone-3.1.3.shsh (make sure you also type .shsh at the end) hit enter and if a permission window pops up (Windows Vista/7) click Allow. DO NOT CLOSE TINYTSS.

Step 9) Put iphone in recovery mode again and open iTunes
    Step 10) Hold Shift and click on restore. Find and select the Official Firmware 3.1.3 that you have downloaded and your iPhone 3GS will start downgrading.
    Step 11) When installation finishes an error message 1015 will pop. DO NOT GET SCARED THAT IS NORMAL. Now you just have to get out of Recovery mode. Click OK.
    Step 12) Download RecBoot-Version-1.0-Windows, extract and install libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe when that finishes run Recboot.exe and click exit recovery mode.
    Congratulations you have successfully downgraded iPhone 3GS OS 4.0 to OS 3.1.3.
    If you want to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 now just download spirit and run it.

Visit my website @ www.siggenisnetwork.com

Arion is offline -Hacks Newbie

hi, great explanation! is it possible to downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2? I recently made the mistake of upgrading firmware to 3.1.3 and had been dumbfounded as to how to jailbreak and unlock the new firmware...

Kevmau5 is offline God to All Mod -Hacks Guru

if on 3.1.3 then use spirit to jailbreak and then use cydia to install ultrasn0w to unlock

:mrgreenthumbsup:
    http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/Kevmau5/?action=view&current=JB.jpg&newest=1

smither07 is offline -Hacks Newbie

siggenis thanks for the information! :sigh:

son_of_satan666 is offline -Hacks Guru

THANK YOU kevmau i was using heaps of my brain cells trying to thing of what i can use to JB 3.1.3 lol.. got a friend with a 2G hahaha.... old school i know but couldnt think.. lol:mrgreenthumbsup:
    D3aTh