Thread: Lua Player not working with Custom Firmware

Nads is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hi guys,

Im a brand new Lua programmer (although ive been programming in C++ and Java for a while now).

I recently created a new script and it runs fine on the LuaPlayer for Windows. But I cant get LuaPlayer to run at all on my PSP!!!

I have custom firmware 3.90 M33-2, and from the recovery menu I have 1.50 Kernel selected!

I downloaded LuaPlayer v0.20 for firmware 1.5 and then copied both the folders luaplayer% and luaplayer into my PSP Game folder.

But when I try to load the Lua Player on my PSP I get a message saying 'The game could not be started'.

If someone could please help it would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks alot.

Nacos is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Pretty sure the LUA player you are using is out-dated leme find the newest version... hold please.

Nacos is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

ah thats perfect it works now.

thanks alot, youve been great help as I was browsing around for ages with no luck!

I did download the latest from the official Lua site, although i think the update you provided was probably required for my firmware version.

thanks again.

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Finally someone else is learning lua. Not many people do these days. If you run into any problems let me know. I might be able to help you. At least I think I can help you with the beginners stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos
    Finally someone else is learning lua. Not many people do these days. If you run into any problems let me know. I might be able to help you. At least I think I can help you with the beginners stuff.
    OK mate thanks alot!

I want to get a job in games programming, have been fairly unsuccessful so far with C++ games jobs although ive had good companies to interview with, like Codemasters,Sega,Creative Assembly and Sony.

So now im building up my work and improving my coding but at the same time I want to try my hand at Scripting as sometimes we do get scripting jobs come through and I would like to apply to these as I might be able to get in this way!

Hence I started learning Lua as it seemed to be the industry standard for games.

Im aiming to just get a small 2d demo game going at the moment, not even decided yet which genre my game will fall under - but it will be either rpg or side scrolling action game.

How about yourself, have you made a game on Lua for PSP yet?
    If so I would like to ask you how did u manage the player animations? Did you use 2 different images for each direction the player moves in? or more? Also did you store them into an array and just cycle through?

Thanks mate.

Blade_punk is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nads
    If so I would like to ask you how did u manage the player animations? Did you use 2 different images for each direction the player moves in? or more? Also did you store them into an array and just cycle through?
    I havent checked out anything to do with LUA for a while but if you can rotate/flip images or anything like that try doing that instead of using individual pics. Save you some very valuable RAM ;)

-Rock Station-
    PSN: Xsjado7

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Nads
    Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos
    OK mate thanks alot!

I want to get a job in games programming, have been fairly unsuccessful so far with C++ games jobs although ive had good companies to interview with, like Codemasters,Sega,Creative Assembly and Sony.

So now im building up my work and improving my coding but at the same time I want to try my hand at Scripting as sometimes we do get scripting jobs come through and I would like to apply to these as I might be able to get in this way!

Hence I started learning Lua as it seemed to be the industry standard for games.

Im aiming to just get a small 2d demo game going at the moment, not even decided yet which genre my game will fall under - but it will be either rpg or side scrolling action game.

How about yourself, have you made a game on Lua for PSP yet?

Thanks mate.
    I haven't got to animations yet. Nevermind, you seem to know more about it than I do.
    I was told that many people don't use lua anymore. They use C++ more I guess.

RonJon is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

mang. i remember my first lua app. it was so gay