The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!

Would you like to get all the new buzz from Dashhacks in your email each day?

Want to learn more about the team who brings you the Dash Hacks news?

Read about them now!

Thread: Simple HTML feedback form without using PHP or CGI?

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Default Simple HTML feedback form without using PHP or CGI?

I'm using SharePoint to create a site at work where we can post training documents, memos, and other important information. One of the things my supervisor requested was a feedback form. My plan is to make a HTML page with the feedback form on it, put the HTML file on a file server (not an actual web server), then embed that in Web Part.

I have an HTML file already embedded so I don't need help with that... I just need to figure out how to get a functional feedback form without using server-side scripts. Since I only have access to a file server and not a real web server I don't think I can use PHP or CGI scripts like I would normally do in a situation like this. Everyone will be viewing this site with Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP if that changes anything. It needs to send an email to me with the content they entered in the form. We all use Outlook 2003 for email if that helps.

SharePoint is installed on a web server but I don't have access to upload my own files to it outside of SharePoint itself and I can't modify the SharePoint installation in anyway aside from the one site I have owner permissions on.

TL;DR

Is it possible to make a simple feedback form on a webpage without using server-side scripting?

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Only Mod w/ >10k posts -Hacks Titan

Sure, modify the server to do what you want.
    Of course, it's even less practical.

But anyway, might be easier just to stick a mailto link. Sounds like an internal thing, so I'm sure all people providing feedback know how to use Outlook.

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ZiNgABuRgA View Post
    Sure, modify the server to do what you want.
    How? I'm not in a position to do that.

But anyway, might be easier just to stick a mailto link. Sounds like an internal thing, so I'm sure all people providing feedback know how to use Outlook.
    I wrote a vbscript which takes input from the user and sends it to my email. All they see is a pop-up window asking for their feedback. The only problem is I can't make it run when it's on the file server... yet it works fine when I preview it through IE on my computer.

I may just use a mailto link after all. It will be less hassle for me to set up.

Thanks for your advice.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Only Mod w/ >10k posts -Hacks Titan

You might be able to use Javascript to construct the mailto link depending on the stuff they enter on the form (such as setting the subject/body of the email), however, the user would still need to actually hit the send button on their email client for it to send - if that's what you're getting at.

h3nno is offline -Hacks Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZiNgABuRgA View Post

Probably the most efficient way.

Is the file server hosting SharePoint? What OS is the file server running?
    Black fat PSP - OFW 2.50 > OFW 3.03 > GTA:LCS downgrade to 1.50 > CFW 3.90m33-3 w/ 1.5 kernal addon > 4.01m33 > semi-brick > full brick > CFW 3.90m33-3. > 4,01m33-2 w/ 1.5 kernal addon and 4.05 visualizations.

Hacked: 21 Fats 12 Slims.