The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!

Would you like to get all the new buzz from Dashhacks in your email each day?

Want to learn more about the team who brings you the Dash Hacks news?

Read about them now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting to learn programming

RoseWolf is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Starting to learn programming

Okay, so, I've started learning C++ from random tutorials. I'd like to get into gaming and was wondering if it would be doable to lean a simpler language like Lua or Java alongside C++.
    Also, I'm constantly studying Japanese, as an exchange student.
    Do you guys reckon it'd be too hard?

jenny is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

As long as you keep working on C++ it shouldn't be too hard. It just takes time and practice. I stopped for like 6 months or so doing more important things and I basically forgot everything. Though, that wasn't much a problem since I took a liking to assembly and have been learning that instead.

parradoxx is offline -Hacks Smarty

oh so i cant break then learning c++ just at loops any tips
    Pray 4 the best prepare 4 the worst

RoseWolf is offline -Hacks Newbie

Would it be a good idea to try Java at the same time? Or just buckle down on C++ and do whatever later?

jenny is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RoseWolf View Post
    Would it be a good idea to try Java at the same time? Or just buckle down on C++ and do whatever later?
    Learn C++ first, then Java. It'll be much easier since Java is structured in a similar way as C++.

Auto-Merge:
    Quote Originally Posted by parradoxx View Post
    oh so i cant break then learning c++ just at loops any tips
    Lots of practice and reading.

h3nno is offline -Hacks Member

Hmm, what computer background do you come from? Unfortunately programming isn't as simple as learning a few tutorials and stringing a couple of algorithms together. I would advise doing some background research. Understanding IF statements, WHEN statements, DO .ect. A good place to start would be buying/sourcing a C++ for dummies book or partaking in a course. As Jenny said probably not the best thing to start/stop/start. I use to do HTML, PHP and CS haven't used it in ~8 months and I am having trouble recalling a cascade stylish sheet format now.
    Black fat PSP - OFW 2.50 > OFW 3.03 > GTA:LCS downgrade to 1.50 > CFW 3.90m33-3 w/ 1.5 kernal addon > 4.01m33 > semi-brick > full brick > CFW 3.90m33-3. > 4,01m33-2 w/ 1.5 kernal addon and 4.05 visualizations.

Hacked: 21 Fats 12 Slims.

PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by h3nno View Post
    Hmm, what computer background do you come from? Unfortunately programming isn't as simple as learning a few tutorials and stringing a couple of algorithms together. I would advise doing some background research. Understanding IF statements, WHEN statements, DO .ect. A good place to start would be buying/sourcing a C++ for dummies book or partaking in a course.
    Not really. I taught myself C++ solely from online tutorials. I never opened a book, nor did I need one.
    I'm not a pro, but I'd consider my homebrew to be a fairly good demonstration of the use of looping and conditional commands.
    That's besides the jewels of OOP. And AFAIK, a WHEN statement doesn't exist.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Only Mod w/ >10k posts -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    And AFAIK, a WHEN statement doesn't exist.
    Sure it does.

Code:
    #define hungry 1
    #define when while

printf("Here's an example of a WHEN statement\n");
    do {
      printf("Eat toast");
    } when(hungry);

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

At least now days there is a language that is usable in the immediate future. I learned BASIC, Pascal, Cobol, and JCL, and it did me absolutely NO good what so ever. That was back in the 80s, when it was being used. Meanwhile, the other schlubs in the classes were getting their pictures taken for the year-book, for "Future Business Leaders of America" and they're all nobodies, even today.

Sure, you can still use BASIC today, but big deal. I used to program in ASM for 65XX based units, then some small machine code, but that's all long gone...

C, C+, C++ has been around for years, and should still be in the immediate future. This stuff changes all the time, as well as HTMLs, Java, and so on. It will change one day, but I probably won't be around to see that. Maybe they'll just add another "+" to it?

PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ZiNgABuRgA View Post
    Sure it does.

Code:
    #define hungry 1
    #define when while

printf("Here's an example of a WHEN statement\n");
    do {
      printf("Eat toast");
    } when(hungry);
    Why limit yourself to a WHEN statement then? Why not
    Code:
    #define AsLongAs while
    #define InTheCaseOf if

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    At least now days there is a language that is usable in the immediate future. I learned BASIC, Pascal, Cobol, and JCL, and it did me absolutely NO good what so ever. That was back in the 80s, when it was being used. Meanwhile, the other schlubs in the classes were getting their pictures taken for the year-book, for "Future Business Leaders of America" and they're all nobodies, even today.

Sure, you can still use BASIC today, but big deal. I used to program in ASM for 65XX based units, then some small machine code, but that's all long gone...

C, C+, C++ has been around for years, and should still be in the immediate future. This stuff changes all the time, as well as HTMLs, Java, and so on. It will change one day, but I probably won't be around to see that. Maybe they'll just add another "+" to it?
    Heh, I doubt these languages will be in use ten years later. They're more than sufficient for the time being.
    But who knows, a lighter, more efficient language might be introduced somewhere down the road. That's the beauty of technology.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast