Thread: Themes and Editing RCO files

bomernee is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Themes and Editing RCO files

I've had a lot of fun on my psp with customising themes. Back in the day I even did the flashing technique which was really risky and pulled it of and got some amazing themes.

I wanted to make my own custom theme for ps3 and make a 360 imitation theme. What is possible at the moment?

1) Can we edit any rco?
    2) Where are they stored?
    3) Do they have like everything, like the text for trophy alerts and can we edit those?
    4) Whats the chances of bricking while messing around with these files?

Hope this is following the rules of the forums. Cheers.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

Customizing themes has been possible for a while on the PS3. Not the in depth customization like on the PSP like switching the menu itself around. Even dynamic themes can be made you need skills using a certain Adobe program cant remember the name right off though.

Ok awesome.

I've been digging around the resources folder (made a copy on my pc) and have used rco mage to extract the xmls.

I want to find all the things I am able to change and basically then change them as I see fit.

In system.rco the xml has code which reads something like:
    "You have earned a Trophy." which I'm going to change to "Achievement Unlocked:"

I wanted to swap the sound for an actually 360 sound clip but could only find an mp3 of the sound, tried using adobe audition to convert to wav but this made it fail the compiling.

I also want to change the pictures they look like 100x100 png I was going to try using paint.net.

I've changed the Game catagory to Homebrew, and was gonna experiment further but I'm wary to how much I can actually change without causing an error which would require a reformat or reflash of my resource or reinstallation of firmware.

Be careful messing with that stuff you can brick your PS3. Here is a website I visit to get new themes http://www.ps3-themes.com/. You can visit it directly from the PS3 web browser and install the new themes directly from the web site.

Mr_WoRRieD is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bomernee View Post
    http://www.ps3news.com........./ think i found my answer sorry
    isn't that your favorite website Jsamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsamp View Post
    Be careful messing with that stuff you can brick your PS3. Here is a website I visit to get new themes http://www.ps3-themes.com/. You can visit it directly from the PS3 web browser and install the new themes directly from the web site.
    Thanks for the link found that site the other day But no risk = no fun.

Surely if they are able to change the system.rco to show homebrew instead of game it should be safe changing other text in the rco files? Themes are cool but I want to change the system display information and I'm kinda assuming/hoping if I only change the output (ie the displayed text) it shouldn't do any damage, as it's not messing with system stuff just text like the whole "hello world".

Guess I'm just gonna have to research more myself and just have to risk trying some things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_WoRRieD View Post
    isn't that your favorite website Jsamp?
    Yes sir they are the most super fantastic awwesomest site in all the land.