Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Supported Video Codecs - If Your Movie Won't Work, Read This!

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by xseoer
    Wonderful!!!
    My movie can work now !
    Wooooo hair straitners!

mandolopez1979 is offline -Hacks Newbie

ok so when i turn my mkv. to vob. my playstation will play the vob file? or do i need to convert the vob to avi. or any other ps3 compatible file?? i just want to put it on my external hdd not burn it..??

Mr_WoRRieD is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Guru

after you are donw with mkv2vob, the file is then ps3 compatible, so you don't have to convert it to any other format.

keep in mind that if your source mkv file is bigger then 4GB you have to use the splitting option in mkv2vob

mkv2vob is misleading because you actually get a .mpg file. At least I do. It works for me and my xbox. But I'm under the impression mp4 (h264) isn't supposed to be in .mpg and that's why Zune doesn't like it even though it'll do h264 just fine. Anyone know if there is a "mpg2mp4" program or can i get mkv2vob to use the mp4 container?

FamilyGuy1 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

mkv2vob is misleading because you actually get a .mpg file
    LMAO, you can change your setting to get an actual vob extension/file. "Output File Extension"
    You can make MP4s with it as well, though I'm not sure of their compatibility with Zune. Try it with a small file and see how it goes.

White Knight Chronicles Addict 1200+hrs

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

its not too misleading. it does output a vob file but just changes the extension to .mpg. its like divx movies. u dl them and they come as .avi's

Quote Originally Posted by Mick
    its not too misleading. it does output a vob file but just changes the extension to .mpg. its like divx movies. u dl them and they come as .avi's
    DivX and .avi are something different. DivX is the codec. mpeg 2 part something... .avi is a container that can use DivX codecs. For me, mkv2vob gives me a .mpg file which is mpeg 1 container. Vob is another container used in DVDs. There is a difference. I believe when I used mkv2vob to get a mp4 file from an mkv that contains h.264 video, I got a file that wouldn't work with PS3, xbox, or zune. I will try again I suppose. the mpg works fine with xbox even though it has mp4 video inside.

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

ah, touché my friend. touché

Also I had a look at mkv2vob settings again and nowhere can you change containers. Yes you can change the output file to, say, mp4 but it doesn't change anything. It would be the same as me going to the file and right-click-->rename and changing the extension. Also I googled mkv2mp4 and there is such a program though it is just "Python script which acts as a wrapper around mkvtoolnix, ffmpeg, and GPAC" I don't have time to mess with it right now.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

I have no problem with MKV2VOB, it makes the MPG file, but it is H.264 codec.

Right, the files are not playable by Xbox 360, though they should be, the codec is H.264 and all. The major difference is DTS audio. You must have a DTS receiver through HDMI to use it. Else, transcode it to AC3, which is DD5.1 instead of DTS 3/2.1, which is what I use.

Using that PS3 media server, XB360 can watch them using the transcode folder, but if DTS321, no audio.

The file extension really doesn't mean too much. I can rename the .MKV to .MPG and Windows Media Player still plays it.

I wish Sony would just add MKV support, it's not all that difficult.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast