Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Supported Video Codecs - If Your Movie Won't Work, Read This!

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

My xbox plays the .mpg files just fine. And playing files on my computer is never a problem thanks to VLC. My problem is playing them in the zune software. If the zune software can play them then it'll convert the file to play it on the zune player. But zune doesn't support the mpg container I think. It'll do h.264 no problem in the mp4 container.

borrrden is offline -Hacks Newbie

I had terrible problems with a video file that I had, so I decided to do my own experimentation. There is a well known video re-encoder known as Super 2010 that converts video files into many formats. I decided to go through a lot of codecs to see which ones would work (from Super) on the PS3. Here are my results.

Method: I used a small video file that I shot with my digital camera as a source file. It is 450 kbps 320x240 VC-1 WMV movie file with 64-kbps WMA2 audio that is 59 seconds long. I stripped the audio and converted just the video at first, to see if the video format was compatible at all. If it was, I tested it with various audio formats. I set the video scale size to "No Change" and the FPS to 30 (the same as the source). I set the bitrate to 480 kbps (the first choice higher than 450 since 450 was not available). I set the audio channels to 2, and the bitrate to 64 (the same as the source file). Whenever it was an option, I used MEncoder, though I don't think it makes a difference in the end compatibility-wise. I only tested the more popular formats (i.e. no WAV audio, vorbis, MPEG-1, etc) in AVI, MP4, and MPG. If it was playable on my PC then I tested it on the PS3 via Java PS3 Media Server. Here is what I found:

AVI (will only work when encoded with mp3 audio, any type of AAC or other audio makes it unplayable on the PS3)

Supported (Test Passed):
    DivX / MPEG-4 (DIVX / DX50 / XVID)
    MS-mpeg4-v1 (any option)
    XviD

Unsupported (Test Failed):
    DivX / MPEG-4 (FMP4 / MP4V)
    Flash Video
    H.263+
    H.264/AVC (any option)
    MPEG-II
    MS-mpeg4-v2
    WMV7
    WMV8

MP4 (only tested with AAC LC and AAC Main)

Supported:
    DivX (AAC Main)
    H.264/AVC
    MPEG-4 (AAC Main)
    XviD

Unsupported:
    DivX (AAC LC)
    MPEG-4 (AAC LC)

Note: I have really strange streaming problems with MP4 files and I don't think I am the only one. AVI files containing data of identical bitrate will play fine via Media Server, but MP4 files will stutter every few seconds. If I set media server to force realtime transcode to MPEG-2 on MP4 files, it will play fine. If I play it via USB stick, it will also play fine. I saw on other forums that people started noticing this around PS3 firmware v 2.1 (mine is 3 something I think). Something about it transmitting at too high a bitrate (multiplied by 10 i.e. 2.5 Mbps will be sending at 25 Mbps). If you are planning on streaming, I suggest AVI.

MPG......Super fails miserably on this one because it doesn't produce ANY playable files with MPG. I tried almost every combination and they all failed to render right. Unplayable on my computer let alone the PS3. There are plenty of ways to make an MPG file if you REALLY want to though. Hope this information is helpful. I'm not very good with video stuff.....but maybe someone who is can use this information. For me, it just helps me know which format to convert my non-working video to.

MajorFoley is offline -Hacks Newbie

hey guys i currently got a couple of seasons of pokemon as avis however i have a small problem
    season 2 works with as a .avi and for video codec has mp4 and audio mp3
    season 3 has exactly the exact same things but however when i try to play them on the ps3, season 2 works but season 3 comes up with an unsupported data type
    is there a way i can convert them with no loss in quality (these are dvd rips and i dont want them to be lowered in quality in any way)

maste-r-mind is offline -Hacks Newbie

dont know if its any help but i use ps3 media server its great for well alot as long as you have a router, ps3 and a pc/laptop then you can wirelessly transcode to the ps3 , good thing is its basicly noob proof and does music and pics. infact its basicly the windows 7 server but better because it supports more formats and can grab vids off u tube n stuff (not tryed that though)

its worth a look anyway
    http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list
    friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die

siptang is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

it looks like OP is getting outdated.

If anyone is interested in updating the whole post, please let me know and I will sticky it.
    Trying to tidy things down as well as keeping it updated.

Siptang.

onzevil1234 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thank you ^^

magistar0 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hello guys.I have 200 hundred cd s with dvd movies on them.I can t watch neither on my ps3 or my imac.When i try to put on ps 3 i get message taht this disc is not supported.
    When i put that cd on imac and open it i get one ts video folder and when i open that folder in it is a 6 or 7 vob and some other files.I don t know how to watch that on my ps3 ,and if i can with what program i can cobvert it to some playable format.I tried to do that with handbrake ,but i just cant any of that vob files put it in handbrake,it wont let me.
    Can someone tell me what to do.I am bbad in english but i hope that you understanded me.

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Use the whole video folder in handbrake. Also, you should have posted a new topic in help rather than cluttering a general topic that is here to provide info more so than support.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4