Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Could hacking my PS3 be the answer.

Blkzilla is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Could hacking my PS3 be the answer.

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this is a bit wordy, but I believe knowing the whole story helps solve problems.

I have a weird problem with an old PS3 a friend gave me and I'm wondering if hacking my PS3 so I can copy games to the HD and run them from there will help. Searching the net and here hasn't revealed much as to what the problem component in my PS3 may be, although it maybe the Blu-Ray drive. Maybe someone here can. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Ok, so my buddy gave me his old, 1st gen I think, PS3. He told me that it played games just fine but it wouldn't play movies. On the way home I stopped by GameStop and bought Tiger Woods 14 & MLB the show. Hooked up the PS3, downloaded and installed some update, threw in a Blu-Ray disc, and it worked.

Cutting to the issue.

I can play TW14 all day long without any issues. I started the Road to the Show portion of MLB the show, played for 30 minutes or so and the PS3 beeped a few times and powered-off with nothing but a blinking red light. I could play exhibition games without the system shutting down, BUT I could never make a throw to 1st base.

I cleaned all the dust out of the system, and checked the fan, it cuts on and off at various times while I'm playing or watching a movie. I also cleaned the Blu-Ray lens but the problem remained only with MLB the show... I figured the disc was bad so I returned it for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. CoD doesn't get past the opening scene without the PS3 shutting down. Tiger Woods... still runs like a champ.

As I said earlier, I think it could be something wrong with the Blu-Ray drive, but I'd hate to replace the drive and the problem remain.

Have any of you guys had an issue like this before? Hacking and running from the HD could be the answer, right?

likuid_ocelot is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by Blkzilla View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this is a bit wordy, but I believe knowing the whole story helps solve problems.

I have a weird problem with an old PS3 a friend gave me and I'm wondering if hacking my PS3 so I can copy games to the HD and run them from there will help. Searching the net and here hasn't revealed much as to what the problem component in my PS3 may be, although it maybe the Blu-Ray drive. Maybe someone here can. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Ok, so my buddy gave me his old, 1st gen I think, PS3. He told me that it played games just fine but it wouldn't play movies. On the way home I stopped by GameStop and bought Tiger Woods 14 & MLB the show. Hooked up the PS3, downloaded and installed some update, threw in a Blu-Ray disc, and it worked.

Cutting to the issue.

I can play TW14 all day long without any issues. I started the Road to the Show portion of MLB the show, played for 30 minutes or so and the PS3 beeped a few times and powered-off with nothing but a blinking red light. I could play exhibition games without the system shutting down, BUT I could never make a throw to 1st base.

I cleaned all the dust out of the system, and checked the fan, it cuts on and off at various times while I'm playing or watching a movie. I also cleaned the Blu-Ray lens but the problem remained only with MLB the show... I figured the disc was bad so I returned it for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. CoD doesn't get past the opening scene without the PS3 shutting down. Tiger Woods... still runs like a champ.

As I said earlier, I think it could be something wrong with the Blu-Ray drive, but I'd hate to replace the drive and the problem remain.

Have any of you guys had an issue like this before? Hacking and running from the HD could be the answer, right?
    #1 - Most likely you wont be able to hack your PS3 seeing you updated it to play Tiger 14. Only way to do so would be to get a hardware flasher...and roll back your FW to 3.55, then install CFW.
    #2 - As far as the blu-ray drive...I don't think it's that.
    #3 - Enter recovery and rebuild the database on the hard drive.
    #4 - Delete any GAME DATA on the hard drive for the games you are having issues with (not SAVE DATA, GAME DATA).
    #5 - Try and run the games again and see if you still have issues.
    #6 - Come back and lmk what you come up with.

Same result. Tried using COD_BO2. I couldn't get past the intro on this game. There wasn't any game data to delete after rebuilding the db. I started the game, downloaded an update, and started watching TV while the update was downloading. I heard two beeps, looked up and there was a blinking red light on the PS3.

Thanks for replying, I forgot I made this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Blkzilla View Post
    Same result. Tried using COD_BO2. I couldn't get past the intro on this game. There wasn't any game data to delete after rebuilding the db. I started the game, downloaded an update, and started watching TV while the update was downloading. I heard two beeps, looked up and there was a blinking red light on the PS3.

Thanks for replying, I forgot I made this post.
    What Firmware are you on? Next step I'd take would be either upgrading to 4.46 if you're not already on it, or reflashing 4.46 if you're on that already, manually.

I'm on 4.46. is there an FAQ here with directions on reflashing?

Go to Sony's site and download the 4.46 OFW. Create a folder called PS3 on a USB drive. Create a folder inside the PS3 folder named UPDATE. Place the OFW package you downloaded from Sony's website in the UPDATE folder. Make sure the OFW package is named PS3UPDAT.PUP. Go into the XMB and do a system update, select from USB.

Thanks. I will give it at shot as soon as I can and report back. I really appreciate the help.

Tried to reapplyh the upgrade and it says "No applicable update data was found." To me that says yes I see an available file but I'm already on 4.46. So how do I get around this? I've verified that the PS3 sees the USB drive because it shows up as an available device under the Photo menu.

You absolutely made sure there is a PS3 folder on the ROOT of the USB drive, and a folder inside the PS3 folder labeled UPDATE, and inside the UPDATE folder the 4.46 update is named PS3UPDAT.PUP?

<a href=http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm>Click here for a visual representation of the above</a>

That's what I did. The error message makes me think that it sees the update but won't apply it because it's already on 4.46

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast