Thread: Red Dead Redemption

JoN- is offline -Hacks Veteran

RED DEAD REDEMPTION
    ===================
    *This review contains SPOILERS of the introductory scene*

Ever since I first saw that Rockstar Games was bringing out a GTA Western, I knew I had to have it. And knowing Rockstar, it generally brings out games that redefine the Sand-Box genre. Games like GTAIV really showed the future of what sand-box games were to be like. Now Red Dead Redemption and it further illustrates the future of these types of games.

Red Dead Redemption is the story of John Marston who is out to take revenge on a co-ally of his, Bill. The game starts with you being shot by Bill and being then aided by a girl named Bonnie. From there, like the missions begin. You will start off by continually traveling between the Ranch and another city not far off. This missions, while interesting, are the least exciting of the entire game. As you continue on, the game does get more interesting and the story does expand. Do not worry about that. In fact, the story turns into a tale of the revolution, power and the affect it had on everyone.

The graphics of this game are phenomenal, very impressive for a sand-box game. It does have it's few issues, but you will literally take time looking at it and feeling it to be real. Also, the map itself is massive. You will spend a great deal of time simply going from one location to the next. And don't worry, unlike Far Cry 2, there are some things to do on the way, such as helping people get their stolen money back or even prevent a hanging.

The sound is also well done, with surround sound you can hear the birds coming from each direction while still managing to hear a gun shot in the distance. There is little music (but does feature in-game music), but when the music is there, it's always in contrast to the situation.

One of the best things they could have done was include the online multiplayer. While as of right now the Free Roam is lacking, there is a CO-OP Mission Pack coming out in June (and will be FREE). The online game modes are some of the more basic ones (capture the flag, team deathmatch, free-for-all), but because of the style of gameplay, it's always enjoyable.

One more thing I forgot to mention is the controls. Near identical to GTAIV and for a reason - it works.

Now, I've been saying all positive things because mostly, there is no bad things to say. There are a few glitches, the horse back riding itself can just be annoying. But what really makes this game GOOD is that it's fun. The online is fun, the single-player is fun. The overall game is enjoyable and this makes up for all the glitches or nuisances.

*Note, check the EXTRAS NOTED for more great features the game includes
    ====================
    OVERALL: 9.5 /10
    ISSUES: Single-Player Missions can be bland/repetitive, Missions like collecting cows seems to lose the focus of the game, Co-Op Free Roam is limited to a couple of missions, Glitches, Horse back riding can be annoying
    *Trophy support

Extras Noted:
    *Includes support for Rockstar Games' Social Club
    *In-Game Music is supported during SINGLE-PLAYER
    *HOME unlockables

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

have you already beat it?
    Spoiler:
    im 65.3% done, just made it home and have played almost 17 hours is there still alot more or is it all the small sidequests/question marks

edit: nm theres still plenty

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

I want to play this BAD. I cant yet though because I made a vow to finish the games I start and I have to finish Dragon Age first. I'm quite pleased to read the great reviews on this game though. From the sounds of things its worth a DL disc.

Joss is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jsamp
    I want to play this BAD. I cant yet though because I made a vow to finish the games I start and I have to finish Dragon Age first. I'm quite pleased to read the great reviews on this game though. From the sounds of things its worth a DL disc.
    Similar situation, have got 4 or 5 that i want to complete before i buy anymore. Ive got UC2 still in the wrapper!

PS3: 60GB
    PSN ID: Josseh

warner_v is offline -Hacks Hacker

good review i totally agree about the glitches some do piss you off but other than that this game is top notch.

purple-draaanks is offline -Hacks Newbie

I wouldn't worry to much about the glitches. Rockstar is pretty good on fixing them and releasing the patch.

BCapper92 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Played this game for like an hour just, pretty nice. Had a go on the story line for like 30 minutes, and it seems pretty fun.

But I must say the multiplayer is awesome, I joined my mate and we were dominating in some cannons. El Presido or something.

yes but it would be good if they included all codes initially, no need to buy again.