Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fallout: New Vegas

JoN- is offline -Hacks Veteran

FALLOUT 3
    ===========================

It's been a while since I've posted here on this site, mostly because I haven't hacked my PS3 and sort of feel out of the scene compared to everyone else. I figured I'd contribute some way to forums (like I used to back in the day) and noticed that I haven't posted up a review in a while... so here I am.

Fallout New Vegas (FNV for this review) is pretty much Fallout 3 with an update... or even an expansion to it. Not much has changed in terms of graphic level, the glitches, or any other major improvement but it does fix some of the issues Fallout 3 dealt with.

FNV now allows the users to aim down the sights, which is great because aiming in FO3 often became a hassle when not in VATS. VATS was 'supposedly' improved (says the Bethesda or whoever made this title), yet I haven't noticed too much of a difference from the last game.

This game has several glitches, often freezing or even texture problems. At times, textures won't load properly and the ground and or environment look very bad. Gameplay is slightly improved with the new aiming system but besides that, it's pretty much the last Fallout game that you either already loved or hated.

PERSONALLY, (while other game review sites will disagree) I am not enjoying this story as much as the prior. With the new environment, it lacks the entire 1950's feel that FO3 carried with it. It also is lacking the whole American idea (through finding items such as Lincoln's Repeater, Deceleration of Independance, etc) and instead is replaced with a more Western feel. Also, it feels less focused on the idea of Post-Nuclear ideas (scavenging, food, shelter, etc) and instead is solely focused on the idea of factions and gangs.

Most of the reviews I've read have loved the new story and the idea of factions to take part in and enjoy starting off faster. Personally, I loved FO3 story much more and the ideas behind FO3 were what made the game enjoyable (as it obviously was not the often glitches and gameplay mechanics).

Overall, it has slight improvements yet still remains to be a Fallout game that doesn't seem to have changed at all since the last one. Improvements such as the Command Wheel for partners are useful but we're never entirely needed. Different ammunition for guns is also a nice addition to the game. This may be an improvement to the series, but if you never enjoyed Fallout 3 there is a good chance you are not going to enjoy this title.

============================
    OVERALL SCORE: 8.5

ISSUES: FREEZING, FRAME RATE, NO REAL UPDATES TO PREVIOUS TITLE

* Trophy Support
    ============================

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Excellent game, I got no issues except the freeze-ups. Frame rate would slow when too many things on the screen, AS USUAL, they never build a machine that DOESN'T do that. They always have to push the GPU, instead of keeping within limits to make game play a lot more smooth. This has been a problem since the beginning, and I see there is no resolution on site...

doomer703 is offline -Hacks Smarty

Just got it today in the mail and will play it later tonight cant wait .. I have been looking foward to this game for awhile now. But been playing bioshock 2.

Signature by ziiro3

Quote Originally Posted by doomer703
    Just got it today in the mail and will play it later tonight cant wait .. I have been looking foward to this game for awhile now. But been playing bioshock 2.
    You see Bioshock:Infinite? It's going to be too sweet!

doomer703 is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by JoN-
    Quote Originally Posted by doomer703
    You see Bioshock:Infinite? It's going to be too sweet!
    Bioshock Infinate looks like a game that I would have to play first the trailer and demo game-play is not really appealing to me.. I mean I love The other to Bioshock series but this is so new to me and will have to either hire it out or just buy it....

Signature by ziiro3

Kaiji is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave
    Excellent game, I got no issues except the freeze-ups. Frame rate would slow when too many things on the screen, AS USUAL, they never build a machine that DOESN'T do that. They always have to push the GPU, instead of keeping within limits to make game play a lot more smooth. This has been a problem since the beginning, and I see there is no resolution on site...
    The PC version suffered the same, I got the game to run with AA on high as well as max resolution and high detail, everything ran smoothly except the moment I spoke to an NPC, the game would slow to a crawl (regardless of the settings). Evidently, that plagued all pc users. Wasn't aware it was on the console as well.

Current :A PSP 3000. Waiting on new screen, MS PRO DUO adapter, and battery.
    Wife has a PSP 2000. Woot.

After playing Fallout New Vegas to the very end (last mission, not everything completed) I did NOT enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did Fallout 3. It was a fun ride, nonetheless, but I got bored quickly where FO3 I could play forever.

I was going to play the DLC, but I deleted my game save for Xbox360. I installed he game to the HDD, like they allow you to (needing the original in the drive). SO I went to delete that, my Son sat there and watched me do it too; knowing what was going to happen, and yep, it deleted everything that had to do with the game. I Picked delete for the installed game, and just accepted it, and everything was wiped. My Son didn't even ask me if I REALLY wanted to do that, till later he said WHY did you do that, when I went back to look for my saves. So, I am not starting over, and thus will NOT be playing the expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave
    I was going to play the DLC, but I deleted my game save for Xbox360. I installed he game to the HDD, like they allow you to (needing the original in the drive). SO I went to delete that, my Son sat there and watched me do it too; knowing what was going to happen, and yep, it deleted everything that had to do with the game. I Picked delete for the installed game, and just accepted it, and everything was wiped. My Son didn't even ask me if I REALLY wanted to do that, till later he said WHY did you do that, when I went back to look for my saves. So, I am not starting over, and thus will NOT be playing the expansions.
    PS3 will NOT be even getting the first add-on.
    Fuck Microsoft, it took us like 6 months extra to get the add-ons for Fallout 3 and we are still missing one of the Oblivion ones.
    Remind me to get the new Elder Scrolls for Xbox 360 or PC...

Which Oblivion DLC is missing for PS3?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast