Thread: Dragon Age 2 (Impressions)

war breaker is offline Senior Member -Hacks Ninja

Thumbs up Dragon Age 2 (Impressions)

Hello all,
    I have never done a "review" of a game before. I figured I could just post a few opinions of my own to help anyone who may be on the fence about the game.

For starters, i was a huge Origins fan, I loved it entirely. There were a few things that I felt could have been done better and I feel they pulled it off on the second game.

Dragon Age 2 starts you off as a main character, as in you cannot choose what race origin you started as. You have the choice of Male or Female and choose between warrior, rogue, or mage classes. I did just finish the game this morning for the third time and each time i tried it with every class.

The warrior class is your general tank class. As a warrior you are expecting to be a heavy damage dealer but in Dragon Age that is not the case. The warrior class is pretty much a tank class, keeps aggro off your party and lets the REAL damage dealers do their job without succumbing to the heavy attacks from the mobs you fight. You can choose between sword and shield or two handed weapons. The differences between these pretty much depends on your play style. Two handers have a wide arc which lets you deal damage to multiple enemies from one swing of your weapon. You can do this as well with the sword and shield but the arc is not as large. The two handed weapons can be considered crowd control while the sword and shield can help you become a walking target. None of this is bad in general but if you are looking to do some real damage and feel like a real contributor to the party, you may not find that in this class.

Rogue class is a "ninja" class, of sorts. They deal heavy damage because they rely on criticals and concealment buffs. This class can be most useful if you have a good tank in your party to keep all the attention away from you. The bonuses from attacking while not being noticed are pretty worth it in this class. You have the option of wielding two blades or wielding a bow. I did try the bow but felt i was not active enough in the party so i just continued to dual wield. This class gains extra damage if a mage is also debilitating the mobs that are attacking the tank.

Now for my favorite class, Mage. I played as a mage for my last playthrough and I have to say, that was the most fun I had with the game. I think the reason being was that since I had gone through it twice already, I pretty much knew what i wanted from a mage. I saw what the other mages offered and what i wanted out of those. The mage is a HEAVY hitter, they deal a lot of damage if they are leveled properly. You also cannot rely on your party to keep all aggro off of you which means you have to outfit yourself with some defenses and the mage class does have some pretty good ones. The specializations are also pretty intense. You get a choice between force mage, spirit healer or blood mage. You can choose up to 2 specializations and I chose spirit healer and force mage. Spirit healer offered group revival and group heal which kept my party going strong and saved me from having to fight one on one in rough encounters. Force mage was pretty much a fluff when i picked it but stumbled upon a passive ability taht provided 100 fortitude. Which pretty much makes you uninterruptible when you attack, which is a must for mages.

The story in Dragon Age 2 is put pretty well, in my opinion, and sets up the next games story, or upcoming dlc storylines. I did, however, find it annoying that so many new things were brought up and left out in the open without any other story to follow. It's not entirely a bad thing but it does leave you wanting to know more well after you complete the game.

There you have it, a small review of the game. If this helped you by all means post it up. I know there are other sources for reviews but there is no harm in getting a second opinion on the actual gameplay you go through in a title. If i see enough people like it I'll try to put up some reviews on other games and I'll put some more effort into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewdboy05 View Post
    Since we're talking about conspiracy theories I wanna share one! I don't think Powerslave is real. I think he is an artificial intelligence created by the CIA and given to Greg to test since he is a former international super secret special agent. Greg now uses him as a deterrent to keep stupid people away from the forums.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

There you have it, a small review of the game. If this helped you by all means post it up. I know there are other sources for reviews but there is no harm in getting a second opinion on the actual gameplay you go through in a title.
    I actually prefer to get my game impressions from people that I know or virtually know. Those review sites can be quite biased.

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Completed almost every side quest (and main quest) in one playthrough as a warrior. Took me 29 hours.

war breaker is offline Senior Member -Hacks Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpus View Post
    Completed almost every side quest (and main quest) in one playthrough as a warrior. Took me 29 hours.
    @JSamp, you are right, game informer has been known for that.

@Scorpus yes sir, it has a VERY lengthy campaign, so you can imagine what 3 pklaythroughs is in hours lol I went through all the side quests and in the casual expl;oring you find items to give to people, found all those too lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewdboy05 View Post
    Since we're talking about conspiracy theories I wanna share one! I don't think Powerslave is real. I think he is an artificial intelligence created by the CIA and given to Greg to test since he is a former international super secret special agent. Greg now uses him as a deterrent to keep stupid people away from the forums.