Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cobra-USB Jailbreak device

jibbz is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

Default Cobra-USB Jailbreak device

Cobra-USB Jailbreak review

The Team at Cobra-USB have been kind enough to let me review a sample of their revolutionary new Jailbreak device.
    The Cobra-USB Jailbreak dongle arrived today by courier shipped directly from Hong Kong.
    You can find a list of the "Official resellers" by clicking * HERE *.

1. Unboxing :
    The parcel was securely packaged and free from damage when it arrived.
    The Cobra-USB dongle comes in a neat little mock snake skin box

2. Getting started
    The Cobra-USB dongle is available in 2 versions, 1 regular version which will come ready to use with v1.1 firmware pre-installed ( This is what i received ) and a blank version where the firmware will have to be downloaded from the Cobra-USB website. If you have purchased the blank version you can download the required firmware from here : Official Cobra-USB Download section. Download the User manual for futher instructions on how to install and update the Cobra-USB dongle : User Manual (PDF Format)

3. Jailbreaking the PS3 with the Cobra-USB
    The Cobra-USB dongle requires 3.41 OFW to run ( 3.55 support hopefully coming soon ... see official site for details ) If you are running a firmware that is higher than 3.41 but lower than 3.55 you will be required to downgrade your firmware. Instructions on how to downgrade can be found in the User Manual
    Jailbreaking with this dongle is exactly the same procedure as the previous dongles. From a cold boot press the power button on the PS3 quickly followed by the Eject button.
    Once in Jailbreak mode you will notice two new options under GAME on your XMB, Install Package Files and /app_home/PS3_Game/

4. The Backup Manager
    Download the Cobra-USB Backup Manager *HERE* and unpack using winrar to extract the PKG file.
    Copy the Cobra_USB_Manager.pkg file to the root of a FAT32 Formatted USB stick or External Hard drive and install the PKG file using the Install Package Files option under Game.
    The Backup Manager is similar in design to some of the previous managers that you might of seen ( Rogero , Gaia etc etc ) with the a basic list layout and a small thumbnail icon in the top right corner. Supports FTP and Covers also.
    Creating a Backup using the Cobra-USB Manager is simple process , Run the Cobra-USB Manager, Insert Game disc and then the game will appear at the top of the list. Highlight the game and press Circle on your PS3 Controller.
    You will be asked to choose a destination for the game and which format you would like to make the game rip ( ISO or Standard ).
    ISO format allows you to dump games to a FAT32 formatted external drive even if the game exceeds the FAT32 file limits. This works by splitting the ISO file into smaller chunks of data and renaming them in number format that the Backup manager can read. ISO formatted games require a Blu-ray disc in the drive for the ISO to work.

Cobra USB Manager loads game backups from the following directories:
    · /dev_hdd0/GAMES
    · /dev_hdd0/BDRIPS
    · /dev_hdd0/GAMEZ
    · /dev_hdd0/PS3ISO (for iso backups)
    · /dev_usbXXX/GAMES
    · /dev_usbXXX/GAMEZ
    · /dev_usbXXX/PS3ISO (for iso backups)

And it writes game backups to:
    · /dev_hdd0/GAMES
    · /dev_hdd0/PS3ISO (for iso backups)
    · /dev_usbXXX/GAMES
    · /dev_usbXXX/PS3ISO (for iso backups)

5. Features and Settings
    What sets this dongle apart from its predecessors is the list of features that are not available on any other dongle or Custom firmware :

** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
    ** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO’s from HDD
    ** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO’s from HDD
    ** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO’s from HDD
    ** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD

After testing most of these features i am extremely happy with the results, Everything worked as advertised. Ripped movies in ISO format played back without any problems, PS1 ISO support was Amazing ! , I was slightly disappointed to find that my favorite game (Vib-Ribbon) played at a slightly higher framerate than it should but it was still playable.... This may of been a problem due to trying to play a PAL (Euro) format game on a NTSC machine.

6. Overall
    PROs :
    * PS1 ISO support is a massive plus for me and i can finally store away my Modchipped PSX.
    * The Cobra-USB team have announced that PS2 ISO support for backwards compatible models will arrive very soon in firmware update 2.0
    * Can be used as a downgrader
    * Sleek black gloss design with glowing Cobra design while running *Pimp*
    * Multi region for movies
    * ISO support and Split ISO support for external drives.

CONs :
    * Only supports 3.41 firmware and cold booting can be a pain for slim users that need to unplug the power cable each time.
    * Slightly larger than most of the dongles on the market
    * Blu-Ray Movie dumps contain AACS copy protection and must be transfered to a PC to remove this protection. This can be removed using AnyDvd HD or DVDFab software.

When i first found the specs for this dongle i honestly thought it was too good to be true.
    Many of you will say that Dongles are a thing of the past but with these features i welcome the return.
    Great work Cobra-USB Team. I'm already looking forward to testing the new 2.0 firmware update.

If you would like to purchase a Cobra-USB dongle then please visit the Official Cobra-USB website at : www.cobra-usb.com most resellers will have them available to ship today.

Here is a video of the PSX ISO mode in action :
    + —Hacks YouTube Video Player
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This review is a work in progress. I will update this thread when i test all of the features this dongle offers. I will also add some videos images of the Cobra-USB in action soon.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

I dont figure it will be long before we see these features on CFW.

Mr_WoRRieD is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jibbz View Post
    If you are running a firmware that is higher than 3.41 but lower than 3.55 you will be required to downgrade your firmware.
    ok, most of us can move on , we have 3.55

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_WoRRieD View Post
    ok, most of us can move on , we have 3.55
    3.55 owners could use this method to return to 3.41
    I used a spare 3.30 PS3 that i picked up for $50 (Bad laser) which i repaired for free using parts from a YLOD console that was given to me lol
    * See the quote from Cobra-USB below *

-Edit-
    Added a video of the PSXISO mode - Pepsiman and Chocobo Racing.

-Edit 2-
    I cannot seem to get the PSP Minis working ..... There is no instructions for it in the user manual
    I'll contact the support and see what they say.

-Edit 3-
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra-USB
    We are pleased to announce that we are currently working on a solution to enable Cobra USB on PS3 firmware 3.55, with the release expected to take place a few weeks from now. This will bring all of Cobra USB's ground breaking features to the more up-to-date firmware, with the added bonus of removing the need to perform the power/eject cycle to enable the dongle - this will become totally automated. Support for 3.55 will be provided simply as a Cobra USB firmware update, meaning ALL Cobra USB dongles will be supported without the need for a new hardware revision. We will make further details available as the release draws near, keep an eye on this website for updates!
    Sweeeeeet !!!

-Edit 4-
    Cobra-USB have removed the PSP Mini support from the features list.
    So it does not support PSP Minis
    I wish i knew this before wasting two hours trying to get them working lol

-Edit 5-
    Cobra-USB release a new FW for the dongle ( V 1.2 )
    We have released Cobra USB firmware v1.2, which is available from the downloads page. Changes in this release include:

Fixed compatibility issues with some games in discless mode
    Fixed a bug that prevented Cobra from detecting a PSX CD-R if it was inserted too early in the boot process
    Download the new firmware here : http://www.cobra-usb.com/download.html

Skyking is offline -Hacks Newbie

So when can we expect the ps2 support, I'm not trying to sound rude or anything. I just bought a fat ps2 in gamestop and was wondering if I should return it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
    So when can we expect the ps2 support, I'm not trying to sound rude or anything. I just bought a fat ps2 in gamestop and was wondering if I should return it or not?
    It could be within the next few days :

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra-USB
    Support to load ps2 backups in iso format without the need of any other product will be added in revision 2.0 of the firmware and Cobra USB Manager. We're in the process of implementing this feature and expect to release 2.0 in 10-14 days. This feature applies only to models with backwards compatibility.
    They posted that announcement on the 14th of May. Hopefully the 2.0 FW update will also include 3.55 compatability that they announced on the 18th.

ratface21 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Dammit guys I've got a slim

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Cobra have released firmware update 3.1
    Cobra Firmware 3.1 is out, minor release to fix bugs.

- Fixed stability problems. Cobra users are advised to update to this firmware as soon as possible.

- Fixed compatibility issue with Mortal Kombat.

- Fixed PAL/NTSC issues in psx games.

- Bugfix: some few specific psx titles such as Langrisser Final Edition wouldn't play in other regions.

- Fixed a possible discless bug under very rare circumstances.

- Cobra USB Manager can now understand the ".001, .002, ..." name convention used by hjsplit and other similar programs and rename them automatically to
    ".0, .1", name convention. Users can use hjsplit or any other similar tool to split iso files in the PC.

- Added functionality to the core to implement a cobra firmware updater in the PS3.
    Finally a fix for the NTSC/PAL PSX problem...... Now i can play the English version of Vib-Ribbon instead of the NTSC-J version.

The HJSplit compatability is a cool edition aswell.

Great work Team Cobra

Another Firmware update released by Cobra v3.2 :
    Cobra Firmware v3.2 More Features and bugs fixed.

- Added support for PS2 backups in optical discs (CD-R/DVD+-R)

- PS2 original games are now region free too.

- Fixed a bug that caused incompatibility with several PS2 backups in iso format.

- Fixed some remaining PAL/NTSC problems in PSX games.

- Cobra USB Manager will output now a mds file too when dumping a dual layer DVD or PS2-DVD. This file is not used by Cobra at all, but it can be used
    for burning to a dual layer DVD+-R while keeping original layer structure. This is mandatory when burning dual layer PS2 dvd's.
    PS2 backups from Disc.....Nice, Now i can save some HDD space and just run the burnt discs from my old modded PS2.

It's great to see that Cobra are still supporting their product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast