Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to use game saves

laurence is offline -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nug
    Wow, your ripped this off from ps3gamesaves.net!
    Never heard of it no wonder you coming here anyways I add credit to your site in the this first post.

Quote Originally Posted by KEnn3y
    You have stolen from us(PS3GS.COM)
    How dare you ...MOD's here ban this man he has done very badly
    And stolen from us and you have done to believe it
    He not going to get ban or warn he has broken no rules. Also don't come to other forum making trouble.

If your wondering where I am and cant seem to find me around I\'m at ps3-hacks

siptang is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

ps3aj - add their names next time as courtesy.

Nug & Kenny - Just for giggles and all, did you check the date on his original post?
    just checking. Also, I agree with laurence on the ban idea. This person didn't do any thing wrong. He should of however gave credit to his sources.

For i.e. alot of my tuts come from many different sources and I always try to give credit or mention that it's from many different sources from web. This argument should have been avoided.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Nug
    Wow, your ripped this off from ps3gamesaves.net!
    Ok, you want to claim some kind of copyright to this tutorial? Here is what YOU, or the AUTHOR of that tutorial must do:

1. Get permission YOURSELF, from Sony, to post screen-shots of their console screens. I am sure that they would have a problem with you or the author claiming rights to their material, as your own, for a tutorial on game-saves.

2. Get permission from Microsoft for posting screen-shots of their O/S, you used to make the tutorial as well.

Oh, and I suggest you read up on copyright laws that are applicable to the INTERNET, and the fair use policy, and not copyright laws that would protect an author of a published book. You, as a user from the site, cannot claim any kind of infringement, nor can the site owner. If it was posted in the PUBLC forums, none of you have a claim, period.

If you were to walk into a copyright office NOW, with your tutorial AND pictures? They would boot you out the door, WITHOUT the permissions from Sony and Microsoft, to use those screen-shots. You have no right to claim copyrights on copyrighted materials. All the poster should have done was give credit where credit was due. Sony and M$ both could make ANYONE remove the screen-shot pictures from the tutorial.

If this was, in fact, a MAJOR issue? MANY sites like Xbox-Scene, and Eurasia would be in trouble for reposting many tuts, articles, and NEWS. They just give credit, and a source link.

I know how a copyright works, but you do not have the rights to use those screen-shots, so you can't claim copyright infringement at all. Anything you write, once you are done, is basically copyrighted, and you MUST put in the text "(C)2007 [your name]; All Rights Reserved" However, again, without permission from Sony and M$ to use those screen-shots, you can't make any claim.

You can register your work with the Copyright Office for a nominal fee but this is not necessary to enjoy copyright protection. (Trademarks and patents are different worlds). However, registration with the Copyright Office gives you significant advantages if someone infringes your copyright., including statutory damages (set by law so you don't have to prove how you've been damaged) and attorney's fees. But there are time limits to file. Whatever action you take now, comes out of your pocket, and cannot be recovered without registering, and well, we all know how that will go if you walk into the copyright office with THAT...

So, hire an attorney and lose your money. I would only suggest you tell the poster to place a link and give credit (which was done). The tutorial is NOT protected in any way, shape or form, the original post with the tutorial from the originating site has NO copyright notice, or "(C)2007 Joe User" in the tutirial. It may have one now that I said it, but it is too late.

You want my advise, stop while you still have your dignity.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

More:

"Fair Use" includes items for use in nonprofit educational purposes, and what is a TUTORIAL? Technically, a TUTORIAL posted in public is non profit education. You are telling someone how to do something, thus educating them. If it were information being SOLD for profit, example "buy my tutorial" or sold in a book for profit, then it would be covered under the copyright act. You can't advertise BUY my tutorial, and have it posted publicly. Other items not covered would include information that is common property without original authorship. The problem is that one person's view of "Fair Use" can be vastly different from another person's view, and there is no assurance that the courts will agree with you.

Fair use was created to primarily allow parody, commentary, news reporting, and education. Notice that those are all written situations. Your chances of getting away with taking a screen shot of Anna Kournikova on TV, and then posting it on a Web site while calling it "Fair Use" are virtually nil. So, it makes you wonder how there legally can be thousands of pictures of her on hundreds of Web sites, doesn't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2