Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Playing Blu-Ray Movie on PS3. FW 1.6 and up.

siptang is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

This is collaboration work of sassha and me. Just combined our efforts together.

Just add to this.

With firmware 1.60, the PS3 now plays .m2ts files,not in surround, though, just stereo. This will work for mpeg2 .m2ts files also, but not vc-1.

So its very simple. When U make a Blu-Ray movie backup on PC,U get a several m2ts files,largest is main movie. (EDIT: I never try backup with SAK on PS3. I found Blu-Ray movie rip on web in folders ready to be burned on BD-R.) We only need a largest .m2ts file(example 15 GB or more) ,that is a main movie. (I u have Blu-Ray rip in folders,u will find main movie .m2ts file in x:\BDMV\STREAM\, something like 00001.m2ts,move it to some new created folder. Now U can delete all other folders,we dont need them.) All that we have to do now is rename that main movie file in .mp4(example - 00001.m2ts rename to "movie name".mp4) and u're done!

I was doing some testings, with RedKawa file server I transfer a renamed .m2ts to .mp4 sample to PS3, and it said "Unsuporeted data" but anyway I press "X" and playback started! When I returned to XMB, there was no longer "Unsuported data" title!

Try it! ,its allready renamed,just copy to PS3, here it is (sample was taken out from BluRay disc) - http://rapidshare.com/files/26460506/Sony.mp4

With this method, only earlier movies with mpeg2 codings with stereo sounds will work.

There's also this method that I have found on line.

1. Install SAK (Swiss Army Knife) to the PS3 OtherOS and boot into it. I use the network connection and do it via the ps3 instead of the web browser and transfer the ISO over the network. You can hook up a FAT32 hard drive and get the ISO that way as well.

2. If you put the ISO on FAT32 hard drive, join them into 1 big iso with copy /b, then put it into a directory. If you did a network connection, then go to step 3.

3. Install Nero Premium v7.8.5.0 and once installed, go to StartSmart, Extras Tab, make sure its in Advanced Mode and then choose Mount ISO image. Mount the ISO of the blu-ray movie you have. It is VERY important to use nero, as Daemon Tools DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY FOR THIS METHOD.

Correction. Latest Daemon tools seems to work fine. If not please let me know.

4. Install AnyDVD HD 6.1.3.6. Once installed, go to windows explorer and check the mounted ISO drive to see if the AACS Directory has been renamed to SLY!. If so, you should be good.

5. In AnyDVD HD, right click on the icon in the taskbar, and you will see: Rip Video HD-DVD / Blu-Ray to Hard disk. Choose that, make sure the drive being chosen is the one with the Nero mounted Blu-Ray image and let it rip. I suggest not doing much while it works its magic.

5a. Now, a lot of people talked about how AnyDVD HD has errors with blu-ray, but that is because they fixed the ripping in the latest version ONLY if you use the special rip tool. If you go to windows explorer and copy over the files to your hard drive, THEY WILL ERROR. This is the ONLY way to do it properly, and i will show you how to verify next.

6. Once complete, you should have the full blu-ray in your hard drive and ready to go. As a test, close AnyDVD HD and try to play any of the .m2ts's on the image mounted, THEY WILL NOT WORK. But the ones off of the hard drive you decrypted will. Now, you need to check for errors. Most blu-ray movies come with MPEG2 Trailers which are ~100-300 megs a piece for other blu-ray movies. Copy 2-3 of them into a empty directory. You will need to check these for errors. When AnyDVD HD errors, it happens on every file, so you want to check at least 2-3 files for errors and make sure they are ok using MPEG2Repair.

7. MPEG2Repair WILL NOT accept Decrypted .m2ts files. You need to convert them to .ts. The program i use is called: m2tstots. It is command line based and lightening fast. Once you convert those files you have, go ahead and run them through MPEG2 repair, 1 by 1. You will have a stream error, dont worry about that, its because ALL blu-rays give that error. Once done, the only thing you want to look for is errors in the video/audio areas. I did this with 4 different movies i had no keys for and they worked perfectly.

Note:
    1.) You need FW 1.6 and up to do this.
    2.) You need UDF 2.5 driver for windows XP for your computer to see this image after decription.
    3.) Alot of manual intervention is still needed for newer released movies. Will post the commonly used hex codes later.

This was next best thing to iso loader for me.
    Sucky thing is that it has to be split...
    If you find anyway to just combine this into 1 file that will be freakin' cool.
    Post your trials and erros here guys.

imported_Sassha is offline -Hacks Newbie

Nice! :)
    ...:layB3yond::...

I thought you might like this.

imported_Ravman is offline -Hacks Neophyte

This is great. Nice job siptang and Sassha. Too bad it won't work with my FW.

Georges \"Rush\" St. Pierre

yea... I actually updated my brother's PS3 to test some of things out ^______^;

Mine still sitting on V. 1.31

imported_Ravman is offline -Hacks Neophyte

^^^
    LOL. Does your bro know about homebrew?

Georges \"Rush\" St. Pierre

not really. He's like me, he likes to keep all of his originals so it doesnt really matter. I'm the anal one in the family. If you look at my garage you will see hundreds of old games still there. (he refuses to throw them out...)

domerdel is offline -Hacks Newbie

so if PS3 now supports m2ts, why are you renaming your files to MP4? Mp4 is just a container, and it cannot support DD 5.1 which is why you are getting stereo.

I'm currently backing up a BD disc via SAK right now. I guess the next step is merging iso files, then extracting m2ts files.

imported_snafupossum is offline -Hacks Neophyte

the ps3 can play a .m2ts, but only from a disc, thats why you rename it to .mp4, your tricking it into thinking its a mp4, but when you play it, it will still play it due to the fact that it has the codec to play m2ts. its just a simple glitch.
    \"Friggin Powerslave going friggin chuck norris on us and dropping the dictionary bomb on us.\" -nickb827
    Soft Mod Depot - your source for the latest in console modding-http://smdepot.net

domerdel is offline -Hacks Newbie

actually, i got a few m2ts files to play from a sequence from the HDD, NOT a disc. like i said, m2ts is a container, not a codec... therefore i believe the "m2ts can only play from discs" theory is slightly incorrect.

Here's the steps that I took:

1. Ran SAK, ripped BD movie to Ext HDD
    2. Merged ISO onto PC - NTFS
    3. Mounted ISO
    4. Used AnyDVD HD to rip
    5. Took largest m2TS file, and split it in 3.5/gb pieces (10 total) using file splitter 1.31
    6. Put renamed 00001.m2ts - 00010.m2ts back onto ext fat32 HDD
    7. connected to PS3, selected Video > USB hit triangle "select all"
    8. First file plays awesome!!! sound excellent!!
    9. 00007.m2ts, and 00010.m2ts worked as well, others gave me message "unsupported data" and one of them said "Data corrupted"

Step 5... I want to say it was the generic file splitter. There's a rumored program called HDBDSplitGUI, but i cannot find a valid copy for the life of me.

My question is, is there really a specific numbering sequence to 5 digit code and/or is it the generic file splitter that's giving me problems with this type of file format.

running FW 1.70

UPDATE: DBDSplitGUI Helps, 90% working file. Split into 10 m2ts files from one. part 5 was corrupt. Even recognized Dolby Digital and played flawlessly (the other 9 parts). This leads me to believe that m2ts files are sensitive to how they are split. None of those extra demuxing, ,changing file names. m2ts files work, and did not come up "Data unsupported" (only one of them did it was corrupt)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast