Thread: Streaming Your HD Mkv Files to the Ps3

EJunkie is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hi all, forgive me if something like this has already been posted, but i have found this to be the easiest method and would like to share it.

As i found out ps3 wont play HD .Mkv files but i found a program called mkv2vob which does as the name suggests. It turns the mkv file into a vob/mpg file which brings you a step closer to streaming it to your ps3. Also it dosent take long for the program to do this, so far i have been experimenting with smaller files, the biggest has been 28MB and this has completed in under a minute.

So hear is what i do.

1. Open mkv2vob, select your mkv file and load it up. As for the settings in the program i have just left them as default.

2. Select your Destination folder then hit add file, and let it do its stuff.

3. Once mkv2vob has finished, find the outputed file in your desination directory and rename it with a .mpg on the end.

4. Thats it. Assuming you have your media center set up, if not there are guides on this forum on how to do that, just put the file in your media folder, then look on your ps3 and it should be there in your video folder for you to play in HD.

If it plays on your ps3 with glitching as mine did first time around it is more than likely that you are trying to stream via wifi and your router cant handle HD content being streamed. I just changed my ps3 media network to a wired connection instead of using wireless, as i know my router cant handle streaming HD and it worked perfectly/

I Hope this helps, please let me know your views and how you get on with this. I am going to try a full HD movie later so will post my results.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Yes, I posted this already when someone else asked about .MKV files...

You do not need to RENAME the .VOB to .MPG because the PS3 sees .VOB files. I just explained that to someone else a few days ago.

HD works up to 720p with .VOB files.

To everyone; a VOB file is a MPEG-2 file, so you can use .MPG, .MPEG, or .VOB as the extension.

EJunkie is offline -Hacks Newbie

Ok wicked, learnt somthing new there. Just in the process of doing a full movie now. which is nearly done, so i think this is by far the quickest and problem free way to go about it.

badtz82 is offline -Hacks Newbie

bro i all ready use mkvtovob. how time can you get by convert a film 4.37 Gb??
    how about to streaming? can use a ad hoc connection??
    can you give me a tutor. hellp me bro??
    sorry i in hurry . sorry for grammer.wkwkwk

mr.turnsignal is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Can you learn english homes?

t0mmyr is offline -Hacks Newbie

MKV2VOB is GREAT! I started using it after downloading some 1080p and 720p torrents :)

I found the best way is to convert them to .m2ts instead, ps3 plays these files great over network...however I noticed some stuttering while playing indiana jones 4 over 100mbit network so I copied the 9gb .m2ts to my ps3 hard drive (via Red Kawa server). and watched the entire film in full 1080p dolby digital goodness :)

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TurnSignal
    Can you learn english homes?
    haha great MrTurnsignal I see you haven't hacked my wireless yet.

ace1721 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by t0mmyr View Post
    MKV2VOB is GREAT! I started using it after downloading some 1080p and 720p torrents

I found the best way is to convert them to .m2ts instead, ps3 plays these files great over network...however I noticed some stuttering while playing indiana jones 4 over 100mbit network so I copied the 9gb .m2ts to my ps3 hard drive (via Red Kawa server) and watched the entire film in full 1080p dolby digital goodness
    Sorry for my ignorance but i wanted to know in what folder i will put the .m2ts file in my PS3. This is really my problem, i have a lot of m2ts files that i wanted to copy in my PS3 but i dont know where will i put it.

hope that there is someone out there who can answer my newbee question.

Thanks in advance.

ningkie is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Playing MKV files in PS3

DL Showtime 3.41/3.55 CFW PKG

Save your MKV files to any Usb Storage Device

Then Browse and Play..^^