Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial on jailbreaking with MINIMUS AVR USB

danieljamie69 is offline -Hacks Smarty

Okay hopefully this can become a Sticky because many people keep asking how to do this.

So you received your Minimus AVR USB dev board in the post....

Required:
    Minimus board
    FLIP software to flash a hex file to board: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/to...p?tool_id=3886
    Device drivers for the minimus: http://www.minimususb.com/files/minimus_x64_drivers.rar
    Hex file to flash to minimus: http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=95 (Use the "psgroove_backups.hex")
    PS3 at firmware NO HIGHER THAN 3.41 (link here http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=87
    An official blu-ray game disc (Any will do)
    Backup manager package file http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=84

How to flash a hex file:
    Install FLIP software (link above)
    Plug the minimus into a USB port on your PC
    Right click "My Computer", click "Manage", then click on "Device Manager" in the left hand menu
    Find the minimus in the list of devices, right click, click "update device drivers", and locate your unzipped folder (link above).
    Run FLIP software
    Click: Device > Select and then choose AT90USB162
    Click: Settings > Communication > USB then click Open
    Click: File -> Load HEX File (link above to correct hex file)
    Check if the file name is correct, then press RUN to program chip (Sometimes when you press RUN, nothing happens, if so, click it again)
    Check if it says "Verify Pass" at the bottom
    Hex file should be loaded, now you can safely unplug the device from the PC.

Here is a link to the official PDF help file detailing how to flash a hex to the minimus.
    http://www.minimususb.com/minimus_v13.pdf

If you already flashed the wrong hex file?
    Press and hold "Reset"
    Press and hold "HWB"
    Release "Reset"
    Release "HWB"
    And continue from "Click: Settings > Communication > USB then click Open"

Now that you have the hex file flashed to the minimus AVR, the hard part is over.

How to install backup manager (Only have to do this once)
    1) Turn off the PS3 at the wall socket.
    2) Plug in the Minimus AVR USB device
    3) Turn on your PS3 so that there is a red light indicating that it is in standby mode
    4) Press the power touch button, then the eject button immediately after, as fast as you can, and keep hitting eject for a few seconds.
    5) On the GAME menu, there should be two new options, one saying install new package files, and the other something like ps3-game/dev blah blah, ignore this one.
    6) Put the backup manager package file (link above) onto another USB memory stick, and plug it into the PS3 in another USB slot.
    7) Click "Install package files" and you should see Backup Manager v1 (or other version you use)
    8) Click X to install it, follow the prompts to go ahead.
    9) You should now have backup manager installed on the GAME menu.

How to backup a game
    1) Ensure that the PS3 loads up with the option to install package files (as above).
    2) Run Backup Manager
    3) Insert the disc you want to backup (it should now appear in the list)
    4) Use the D-pad to go down so the game is highlighted.
    5) There should be two options at the bottom, I think one is to backup and the other is to run it.
    6) Click the relevant button to backup, and wait a while (First option is to backup to external drive I think, if you click NO, then you are given the option to install to internal

How to play a backed up game
    1) Ensure that the PS3 loads up with the option to install package files (as above).
    2) Run Backup Manager
    3) Ensure ANY game disc is inside the PS3
    4) Scroll down to the backed up game
    5) Click Load, or RUN
    6) Should be taken back to XMB now.
    7) It should appear that the backed up game is now in the disc drive.
    8) Run as you would any real game

Important info
    Game compatibility list found here:
    http://www.psjcl.com/

Games with INDIVIDUAL file sizes larger than 4GB cannot be backed up to an external drive, as the PS3 only supports FAT32 for external drives.

To copy a backed up game to the PC, use the following FTP program to copy it.
    http://www.ps3-hacks.com/download.php?id=135

Do NOT update past 3.41.
    Check the compatibility list before reporting problems with any games.
    Some games can install updates for them, some can't. Some won't play at all.

If you are concerned regarding wear and tear with the Minimus board, they will eventually be releasing an outer casing that you can buy seperately. However, I currently leave it in my PS3 all the time anyway.

Please let me know if I have missed anything from this.

I did all of this on Saturday, with no failure. Successfully backed up Killzone 2 to the internal drive.

Thanks to anyone who has posted suggestions or improvements, or criticism :)

Thanks, Dan

imported_Mentality is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Maybe also add how to re-program the minimus incase they have programmed a different hex previously and don't know how to re-program it again.

Press and hold "Reset"
    Press and hold "HWB"
    Release "Reset"
    Release "HWB"

And continue from "Click: Settings > Communication > USB then click Open"

Thanks for the suggestions..

Its my first ever tutorial :)
    Thanks, Dan

imported_Mentality is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by danieljamie69
    Thanks for the suggestions..

Its my first ever tutorial :)
    No problem ;) it's a great tutorial.

How many LED's light up on your minimus when you use it?

I have just found this on they're new PDF

Quote Originally Posted by MinimusUSB.com
    If you are using a Hex where only 1 or no LED's work - then it is the WRONG hex file or
    the code has been compiled incorrectly. The Minimus LED's have been tested 100%
    working using the above settings.
    Mine only lit up one LED and I wonder if this is what caused my problems.

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9475

imported_JusPlaying is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey Dan and Mentality (honorable mention). Thanks for the guide. It's awesome and it worked for me!!!!!! My question is this. Do I have to turn off the PS3 in the back every time (I have a fatty) or is it only the first time when you trigger the hack and then it's ok to leave on standby and it'll work w/ power and eject button? Thanks again for the tutorial. It was great. Just need a little help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JusPlaying
    Hey Dan and Mentality (honorable mention). Thanks for the guide. It's awesome and it worked for me!!!!!! My question is this. Do I have to turn off the PS3 in the back every time (I have a fatty) or is it only the first time when you trigger the hack and then it's ok to leave on standby and it'll work w/ power and eject button? Thanks again for the tutorial. It was great. Just need a little help with this.
    I'm glad it worked for you.. means the tutorial is working lol

If I recall correctly, you have to switch off at the back (or mains) every time.

But, the easiest way would be to try it.

Even if you don't switch it off, it won't screw with the PS3 or the minimus even if the minimus is left in.

But the easiest way is to just switch it off then on :) I will clarify on this with my own tonight, and add it to the tutorial..

Also.. I will check the LED lighting.
    Thanks, Dan

hackedit is offline -Hacks Newbie

Bit more from that pdf

Technical Notes:
    The MCU is AT90USB162
    The Board Type Has been designed to work as Teensy (Red + Green LED's) or you
    can also set it to work as USBKEY (Red + Green + Blue Led's)

The Clock setting is 16000000

If you are using a Hex where only 1 or no LED's work - then it is the WRONG hex file or
    the code has been compiled incorrectly. The Minimus LED's have been tested 100%
    working using the above settings.
    Thanks very much for the tutorial!!!

I flashed mine with the PSgroove for teensy (psgroove-teensy-1.0.hex) and both red and green LEDs work

Think I'll try psgroove1.1_teensy1.0.762 see how that goes

edit: psgroove1.1_teensy1.0.762 worked a treat with both red+green LEDs working. Both hex's I've mentioned are in PSGroove1.1.rar that I found on this site if I remember correctly.

imported_oops is offline -Hacks Newbie

Great tut Dan thanks :) just what I needed ;)

Good to hear its working. Should be a sticky or something
    Thanks, Dan

imported_oops is offline -Hacks Newbie

One thing though what happens when the game asks for an update? (tiger woods 11)
    Also so tried to run sports champions but it just booted back to xmb, just noticed that im only getting the green light with the psgroove_backups.hex and if I load the Teensy 1.0 psgroove.hex I get the two leds (red + green) but they both stay on :(

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast