Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Info on the new 3.55 CWF

whiteshade is offline -Hacks Smarty

Greetings, since the CFW released the forums have been littered with all kinds of questions. Thought i would make a try and answer all the questions in a single post. will take a little while to compile it all, but please ask your questions here, and answers for those of you who have those and we will keep this forum a little cleaner, and make it easier on the non searching fellas!

No emulators, FTP programs or backup managers have been signed with the new key yet, so we all just have to wait. (NO BACKUPS! NO HOMEBREW\EMULATORS!)
    it will NOT make your PS3 play PS2 games, exept those of you who already can do that. PS1 is, as always, supported.

again; DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SIGN PROGRAMS (emulators\homebrew\backup-loaders etc.) BEFORE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING AT ALL WITH THIS CFW!

So far, playing only and browsing\downloading from the PSN is not affected (you can play online and use the PS store). theoretically, Sony can NOT see the difference if you are on a CFW or OFW. but, sign in at your own risk

3.55 CFW by KaKaRoTo
    How to install:
    Depending on your situation you may need to install the CFW PUP from the PS3 Recovery Menu. To do that, follow these steps:
    download the .PUP file from http://www.ps3-hacks.com/file/239

this has to be done on OFW 3.55, but not 100% sure about that.

Ensure the PS3UPDAT.PUP is in /PS3/UPDATE/ on your USB device.
    Power down the PS3.
    Now press and hold the power button, the system will startup and shutdown again.
    Release the power button, then press & hold power again, you’ll hear one beep followed by two consecutive beeps.
    Release power then follow the on-screen instructions. You’re now in the recovery menu.
    Connect the USB device and select “System Update.�
    Hope for the best.

This CFW will add an item in your XMB called *install package files.
    this is the place you go to install homebrew ONCE THEY ARE RELEASED WITH THE NEW KEY! meaning: NOTHING TO DO WITH IT NOW, exept you can install the Gran Turismo HD full game, wich is free, or download demos from http://ps3.brewology.com/psn/

Tutorial for installing .PKG files here, courtesy of vampirul_14
    http://www.ps3-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11252

I did this myself with an 3.55 OFW PS3 slim in the europe region, even with my native language as the system language (norwegian).
    Savefiles did not get deleted!

as always, do this at your own risk, i am not to be held responsible for anything going wrong! unsure? ask questions first!
    written by a noob, for a noob!

this post will be updated as necessary!

Thanks to KaKaRoTo, fail0verflow and geohot! and Greg for hosting this site!

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Also, I've read that there won't be backup managers, at least for a while. This CFW doesn't change anything to allow backups to work. This may be wrong but, all you pirates looking for free games, this isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ERIFNOMI
    Also, I've read that there won't be backup managers, at least for a while. This CFW doesn't change anything to allow backups to work. This may be wrong but, all you pirates looking for free games, this isn't for you.
    wich, in turn, makes me a happy panda! even tho, the legality of those emulators can be questioned, right?
    what this guy want is emulators and XMBC. having the possibility to dualboot into linux would be awesome too, but that will surely come very soon :)
    this "guide"\info ok btw?

zain1990 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I was told it will take many months to have CFW from administrator at here
    So atleast its here

siptang is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

zain - it's an estimate and you know those are never down to 100%. ;)

Moved to tut section.
    Deleted the other post in the general.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshade
    Quote Originally Posted by ERIFNOMI
    wich, in turn, makes me a happy panda! even tho, the legality of those emulators can be questioned, right?
    The emulators are not illegal having the bios and roms are.

Its a good start though. Hopefully this dude will be the DAX of the PS3.

going a little off-topic here now, but are we not allowed to have the BIOS and roms of what we own? i thought so, what i meant by the legality of it was that people "pirate" alot of SNES games :P but im almost certain that we can use the BIOS from the hardware we own. but a ROM is a copy, and that is not allowed i think

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshade
    going a little off-topic here now, but are we not allowed to have the BIOS and roms of what we own? i thought so, what i meant by the legality of it was that people "pirate" alot of SNES games :P but im almost certain that we can use the BIOS from the hardware we own. but a ROM is a copy, and that is not allowed i think
    Questionable. You should be able to get your OWN BIOS and copies of your OWN games.

vampirul_14 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Look, all of the PC's these days can run with ease any emulator, with the exception of the PCSX2 emulator, that still requires a good PC. Anyway, there is no real reason to play those nes,snes,etc. games on PS3, other than because you want to. You can even use your PS3 controller on PC, so the"I want to play emulators with the PS3 controller" argument is busted.

Let's face it, most people who check the PS3 News sites are just waiting for a CFW that will allow them to play backups. It's inevitable that it will happen, like the other consoles before it, that have been hacked so people can play backups, like PS2, Wii, PSP, ect.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

The firmware with INSTALL PKG... Someone has to write a backup manager that is signed so it runs without the JB dongle (something is probably being worked on as we type). Even though it's there, it will install PKG files, but they will not run if not signed. So, you still need the JB dongle in to run the stuff, which means you'll have TWO install PKG options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast