Thread: How to Install games to the PS3's XMB that need Game Data installed

polki333 is offline -Hacks Newbie

***************Revised Method***************
    THIS METHOD PUTS THE GAME ICON ON THE PS3'S GAME MENU AND AFTER INSTALLATION YOU DONT NEED A JAILBREAK TO PLAY IT BECAUSE ITS SIGNED THANKS TO THE AWESOME APP BY BrownMuffin called "Pkg Builder" and of course all the hard work from failoverflow and geohot.....

USE THIS TUTORIAL IF A GAME YOU WANT TO TRY REQUIRES "GAME DATA" TO BE INSTALLED.....

First Download "Pkg Builder" by BrownMuffin from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=81QDH084
    it's the best version because it does everything and lets you choose where to put the USRDIR folder.
    Remember to run Pkg Builder in Adminsistator mode so it can write files OK. Just right click it

In Step 2 of pkg builder change game path to..... eg. for Tomb Raider I entered "TOMBGAME" I then copied the games USRDIR directory to dev_hdd0\TOMBGAME (but delete the eboot.bin or you'll get an error) and make sure the name is in CAPS and has 8 letters/numbers.

You need to do the following steps to make the PS3 recogrize the FALSE folder name for the game you want to install to XMB

1. Use PS3 SFO Editor (you can find it in the download section under PS3 Utilities) to edit the PARAM.SFO of your game and change the Title ID of your game, just change the last number so its easy to find.
    2. Make your .pkg file using Pkg Builder making sure you use the edited PARAM.SFO, then install it.
    3. Use a file manager on your PS3 to take out the PARAM.SFO eg. dev_hdd0/game/BLES*****/ PARAM.SFO, change the Title ID to the original one and put it back where you got it.
    4. Use your backup manager to start the game, let it install the GAME DATA and when it's finished exit the game and turn off the PS3

Start the PS3 without the jailbreak and play your game

If you followed the instructions above you will be able to install updates but you will be asked to install the same update every time you start the game if you are connected to the internet.

Not all games work with .pkg installation to xmb but with this method it greatly increases the amount that work. If you find more games that work please let us know including the firmware you're on

Update: I've updated to waninkoko's CFW 3.55 v2 (not from recovery but straight from 3.41 to wan's 3.55 v2 in XMB) and all of the games I installed to XMB still work, except F.E.A.R. 2.

I have personally tried it with the games below that requires game data to be installed and it worked

Games that are working that need Game Data installed:
    Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
    Lost Planet 2
    The Orange Box (but a jailbreak dongle is needed)
    Dead Rising 2....... This one was a bastard to get working so heres the pkg and instructions
    Dead Rising 2 XMB install: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E3TGNEZB
    Vanquish works but automatically uses an alternate folder name so no need for the above method
    Games that are working that dont need Game Data installed:
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Call of duty Black Ops........ Download for this game http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V0M24EAH
    F.E.A.R. 2 BLES 00464 (doesn't work on 3.55 waninkoko v2, only option is multiman 1.16+/ highlight game/select+x)
    Timeshift (saving and using save files is buggy)

abg Burger is offline -Hacks Newbie

Apache: Air Assault also work without jailbreak.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Most games are to big to pack into one package (over 4gb) but also alot of games that are small enough dont work anyway if you pack the whole game, so always at first dont include any files in "USRDIR" except the EBOOT.BIN but always include all other files in PS3_GAME keeping the file structure.
    Where is the file being stored when you make the .PKG? PS3 HDD is not Fat32, and will handle a file bigger than 4GB. If you are making the PKG file on your PC first, well, NTFS also supports files > 4GB. I don't see why you are restricted to games less that are < 4GB, which in turn negates a TON of games.

Also, the PKG builder is signing these PKG files? You're not being 100% clear on what you are doing. Again, WHERE is the PKG file going, that you can't make larger ones? You should be able to FTP the large PKG to the PS3 and install it from there. That's how you DOWNLOAD them from PSN, they go in the GAME folder as the PKG, with the small graphic, then it's installed.

Making the PGK then having to Xfer it to a Fat32 USB device is why you can't make larger ones. SO, send it to PS3 -via- FTP and install it. You should be able to figure that out.

polki333 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Powerslave, OK good point, I never use ftp I always use multiman for file transfer......
    Post updated

jpond83 is offline -Hacks Newbie

http://store.brewology.com/updates.php?letters=abcd

thats what i used to update black ops so i could play online