Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated 3.55 Kmeaw Tutorial

Rewdboy05 is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Hacker

Default Updated 3.55 Kmeaw Tutorial

PLEASE READ EVERY SECTION OF THIS TUTORIAL AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE EVEN ATTEMPTING TO MOVE FORWARD! While installing CFW on your PS3 isn't really all that difficult it's not difficult to screw up. All of the sections of this tutorial are here to help you so please make use of them.

The old tutorial was getting a little outdated so I wanted to create a newer one. Noobs, don't confuse yourself by reading the comments; anything important brought up in the comments will be added to the tutorial. BE WARNED THAT YOU ARE INSTALLING CFW AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT NOR WILL ANYONE ELSE AT DASH HACKS BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK OR OTHERWISE DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM. First, let's do a quick F.A.Q. so you know you'll be able to upgrade to CFW or not right off the bat.

F.A.Q
    1. You must be on firmware 3.55 or lower to install a CFW. There is currently NO jailbreak, CFW or downgrade for 3.56+.
    2. If you are currently on another CFW you will need to return to 3.55 OFW in order to go to Kmeaw.
    3. In order to do any updating at all the logic board on the Blu-ray drive must be functioning properly. If your laser is not working and you're not sure about your logic board try to play a game demo; if the demo works your logic board is working so you can go forward. If you don't have any game demos on your PS3 follow this tutorial to get one. If you find your logic board to be broken you can buy a new one and remarry it to your console with this tutorial. BE WARNED THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT TO UPDATE WITH A FAULTY LOGIC BOARD YOU WILL END UP STUCK IN AN INFINITE UPDATE LOOP.
    4. You must be on firmware 3.55 or lower to install a CFW. There is currently NO jailbreak, CFW or downgrade for 3.56+.
    5. When upgrading to 3.55 CFW from a 3.41 dongle you may notice afterward that any games in which you had to modify the eboot in order to play on 3.41 will no longer work on 3.55. Fear not, all you need to do is replace that modified eboot with the original eboot and the game should work just fine.
    6. If you already know a thing or two about PS3 hacking you may notice that I make no mention of the Lv2 patcher outside of this bullet-point. The reason is that it is no longer necessary for your average user since it is now included in all of the Kmeaw-compatible backup managers.
    7. You do not talk about fight club.
    8. There are currently no reported cases of bricks from Kmeaw. As long as you follow this tutorial properly and only attempt to install Kmeaw on an able console (i.e. 3.55 firmware and below, working logic board, etc.) you should have no problems. This does not, however, detract from the fact that you are doing this at your own risk.
    9. There currently isn't any way to play backups of PS1 or PS2 games on the PS3 regardless of whether you have CFW or not. When there is a way I will update the guide so don't ask otherwise. (MultiMan V1.11.05 had experimental PS2 backup support but it didn't work well and has since been removed.)
    10. YOU MUST BE ON FIRMWARE 3.55 OR LOWER TO INSTALL A CFW. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO JAILBREAK, CFW OR DOWNGRADE FOR 3.56+!!!!

Alright, now that we've got that out of the way, let's get started.

Required Hardware:
    A PS3 with a firmware at 3.55 or below.
    A PS3 controller.
    A mini USB cable.
    A USB drive big enough to hold the software and formatted to FAT32.

Required Software:
    3.55OFW PS3UPDAT.PUP (MD5 sum=CA595AD9F3AF8F1491D9C9B6921A8C61)
    Kmeaw's pre-patched PS3UPDAT.PUP (MD5 sum=2BE5E87A22BF1E7F48E98FCABD38977B)
    (Unfortunately we no longer host the 3.55OFW nor the Kmeaw .PUPs. For that reason I will not link to them directly. You're just going to have to Google for them but they're not that hard to find. Just make sure to check their MD5 sums against what's posted above to make sure you've got a legitimate copy.)
    A backup manager (I recommend MultiMan)
    The Fix Permissions package
    An FTP Server/Client. Several backup managers, including MultiMan, work as a server but I still prefer OpenBox. For a client, there are several free ones; the most commonly used would be FileZilla, although some people don't like it.
    Any other various homebrew that may suit your fancy.

Step 1: 3.55 OFW
    First we gotta get you on 3.55OFW. (If you're already on 3.55 OFW you can proceed to step 2.) Number one, disconnect from the Internet and remove any games from the disk drive. (This isn't absolutely necessary but I'd hate to see you update to 3.56+ on accident.) Next, create a folder on the root of your flash drive called "PS3", then in that folder create another folder called "UPDATE" (make sure it's in all caps!) and then put the 3.55 OFW PS3UPDAT.PUP into the "UPDATE" folder and put it in the USB port closest to the PS3's disk drive. Now head on over to "System Menu," "System Update" and then "Update Via USB." (Note: If you're on another 3.55 CFW you may have to update to OFW via the recovery menu. Method to follow.) Yay! Now you're on 3.55 OFW!

Step 2: 3.55 Kmeaw
    Now, to move on to CFW. The method is much the same. Replace the OFW PS3UPDAT.PUP on your flash drive with the Kmeaw PS3UPDAT.PUP (make sure you keep the file structure). This time we're going to need to use the recovery menu though. (Note: Not all PS3s will need to use the recovery menu but for simplicity's sake let's just use the recovery menu anyway since it will work on all PS3s regardless.) In order to get to the recovery menu you will need to follow this process:

Turn off your PS3.
    Hold down the power button until it turns on, you hear three quick beeps and then shuts back off.
    Let go of the power button.
    Hold down the power button again until you hear two quick beeps.

Now you should find yourself in the recovery menu. It will ask you to connect a PS3 control via USB, do so and then hit the PS button. Once again, make sure you have no game disks in the drive and disconnect from the Internet, just to be safe. You can now make like a Price is Right contestant and come on down to option number six, "System Update." Now go make yourself a sandwich or something and when you come back you should be on Kmeaw's CFW! (Cue Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare!) To make sure you were successful go to the "Game" tab in your XMB and look for two new icons, "Install Package Files" and "*/app_home/PS3_GAME/". Note that the "System Information" icon will still say that you're on 3.55 and make no mention of Kmeaw so don't try to use that as an indicator of success.

Step 3: Homebrew Installation
    So what are you going to do now that you're on Kmeaw? Install some homebrew of course! You can now clear off the contents of your USB drive to make room for your beloved homebrews. To install a homebrew package put it onto the root of your USB drive and then open up the "Install Package Files" option under the "Game" menu. From here you can install the .pkg files by simply pressing X. If there are several versions of a homebrew it means there are different versions for different firmwares. Sometimes you'll be looking for the one that's tagged "KM" (for Kmeaw) and other times the appropriate file will be the one without a tag if the others all have tags that aren't "KM."

Backup Managers
    What about backups? Well, you'll need a backup manager. Remember that if you decide to use MultiMan you'll need to install either BDEMU.pkg (Versions below 2.00.03) or BDROM-reset.pkg (Versions at or above 2.00.03) separately and you'll need to reinstall every time you update MultiMan. For most games you'll need an original game disk in the drive. If you're unlucky and have a faulty laser then most games will not work for you. For a list of which games will work diskless as well as on an internal HDD vs. external HDD visit this site. Once you've a game in the proper location (Which depends on which backup manager you're using. For MultiMan it's dev_hdd0/GAMES for internal HDDs and dev_usbx/GAMES for external) you'll want to launch you backup manager, then select your game. It's going to kick you back out to the XMB, don't worry, that's normal. However, what you'll notice on the XMB is that the game icon you had in the disk drive has now been replaced with the game you selected. You can now just select the game in the XMB and enjoy!

MultiMan 2.00.03+
    For your average noob installing the newer versions of MultiMan can be quite daunting. There are a lot of files included in the .rar so I'll help guide you through the process. First you'll need to install multiMAN ver (ver number here) BASE (20110529_223000) (with SHOWTIME).pkg then install BDEMU.pkg (Some versions of MM have this file included and some don't. If you're missing it then Google "BDEMU.pkg" and you should be able to download it from one of the first couple results. It's unclear whether this file contains any copyrighted information and for that reason I won't link to it here just to be on the safe side.) and if you want the experimental SNES rom playback you have to install SNES9x[20110529][multiMAN].pkg. The LAST_GAME_355.pkg (found in multiMAN [Last Game].rar) will add another icon to your XMB under "Games" that will quickly load the last game you played with MultiMan without needing to actually start MultiMan. All of the other files are for customizing and opening up the more advanced features of MultiMan. The way I feel about them is if you can't figure out how to do them on your own you probably shouldn't be messing with them so I'm not going to go into the rest of the files.

Fix Permissions
    Some people may experience a lot of black screen errors. These can often be fixed by running the fix permissions package (FIX_PERMISSIONS_Waninkoko_Kmeaw_CFW_3.55.pkg). I've heard from many people that this works wonders but I've never needed to run it myself. If you find yourself getting a lot of black screen errors or trying to get a lot of games to work you should first update to the latest version of your backup launcher, if that doesn't work then run this .pkg. Once you're done you can simply delete it from your XMB if you don't want to keep it there.

FTP
    If you like to keep your backups stored on a computer to save space on your PS3 (or if you're a dirty, dirty pirate) you can make the transfers via your FTP server/client. There is an infinite number of combinations of servers/clients you could use but since I suggested OpenBox and Filezilla I'll quickly tell you how to use those together. Find OpenBox under the Network tab in your XMB and run it as well as Filezilla on your computer. Now, in the "Host" box in Filezilla type your PS3's IP adress, OpenBox should be displaying it; Username is root, Password is openbox and Port is 21. Once all that is in just click "Quickconnect" and you're rolling. I would also suggest that you always use a hard-lined connection when using FTP as it is generally several times faster and more reliable. Also, you never want to transfer media files via FTP since the PS3 will refuse to recognize them. To transfer media files you will want to use a media server (like PS3 Media Server).

What else can you use a hacked PS3 for? Well, I'm quite partial to emulators since I'm more of a classic gamer and I'm sure you/your girlfriend will enjoy PSVibe. (Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like.) There are some other various apps and such that may be interesting to you. I'll leave you to explore.

If you found this tutorial helpful don't be afraid to give me some rep (Click the little balance icon in the upper right hand corner of this post.) and five star rate the thread! (Click the star icons just above and to the left of the balance icon) Rep is the only thing I get out of pouring my time into creating a tutorial so don't leave me hangin'!

Enjoy!

Mr_WoRRieD is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Guru

now if you also added how to boot backups we won't get anymore questions about it.
    i know it has nothing to do with installing firmware....

anyway i will point to your tutorial if someone ask again in help

You're right. I'll add a couple sentences about launching backups.

Mr_WoRRieD is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rewdboy05 View Post
    However, what you'll notice on the XMB is that the game you had in the disk drive has now been replaced with the game you selected.
    just add that not the physicall game has been replaced, but just the icon , people may become paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_WoRRieD View Post
    just add that not the physicall game has been replaced, but just the icon , people may become paranoid
    LOL. If only you could change a game like that.

Azadi is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thanks a lot, this will help a lot of people. Only thing missing is how to install MultiMan, hope you can fill in that too.

Best tut around.

Btw, I'm already at 3.55, do I need to install 3.55 OFW ?

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Azadi View Post
    Thanks a lot, this will help a lot of people. Only thing missing is how to install MultiMan, hope you can fill in that too.

Best tut around.

Nope.. Just go into recovery menu and install 3.55 Kmeaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadi View Post

Best tut around.

Thanks for the compliment. MultiMan and BDEMU are .pkg files just like any other homebrew. Installing homebrew is already covered:

Quote Originally Posted by Rewdboy05 View Post
    So what are you going to do now that you're on Kmeaw? Install some homebrew of course! You can now clear off the contents of your USB drive to make room for your beloved homebrews. To install a homebrew package put it onto the root of your USB drive and then open up the "Install Package Files" option under the "Game" menu. From here you can install the .pkg files by simply pressing X. If there are several versions of a homebrew it means there are different versions for different firmwares. Sometimes you'll be looking for the one that's tagged "KM" (for Kmeaw) and other times the appropriate file will be the one without a tag if the others all have tags that aren't "KM."

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Nice guide Rewdboy05.. It has everything covered, but it would be better if u made it visually pleasing..Just a suggestion

Spoiler for Example:
    F.A.Qs
    - Q1
    - A1
    - Q2
    - A2

Requirement

- PS3 with firmware 3.55 or lower (with a working blue ray drive
    -A PS3 controller.
    -A mini USB cable.
    -A USB drive big enough to hold the software and formatted to FAT32.

Files Required

- 3.55 OFW
    - 3.55 Kmeaw
    - etc, etc

Quote Originally Posted by iamafreak View Post
    Nice guide Rewdboy05.. It has everything covered, but it would be better if u made it visually pleasing..Just a suggestion

Spoiler for Example:
    F.A.Qs
    - Q1
    - A1
    - Q2
    - A2

Requirement

- PS3 with firmware 3.55 or lower (with a working blue ray drive
    -A PS3 controller.
    -A mini USB cable.
    -A USB drive big enough to hold the software and formatted to FAT32.

Files Required

- 3.55 OFW
    - 3.55 Kmeaw
    - etc, etc

Thanks! That's a good idea; it'll make it easier for me to say "If you've already done X you can skip to section Y." I'll work on it a bit later when I've got some free time.

Edit: I implemented your suggestion, added a few sentences here and there for clarification and added a quick tutorial on how to get FTP working. I think it's a lot easier to use now. Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast