Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL]multiple full rez images in your 01-12.bmp

BioToxxx is offline -Hacks Smarty

This tut will walk you through making a 01-12.bmp with any combo of small, normal, images and as many high rez images you can fit. I’ll be using Photoshop CS2 and HHD Free Hex Editor for this tut.

First here is a little chart showing where in the original 01-12.bmp each image is located, its color tint on the psp, and how many k to each slot.

01:00000000 - tint = gray - start of file
    02:00001820 - tint = yellow - 6.176k in
    03:00003040 - tint = light green - 12.352k in
    04:00004860 - tint = pink - 18.528k in
    05:00006080 - tint = dark green - 24.704k in
    06:000078a0 - tint = purple - 30.880k in
    07:000090c0 - tint = teal - 37.056k in
    08:0000a8e0 - tint = light blue - 43.232k in
    09:0000c100 - tint = dark purple - 49.408k in
    10:0000d920 - tint = orange - 55.584k in
    11:0000f140 - tint = brown - 61.760k in
    12:00010960 - tint = red - 67.936k in

Now the starting slots are fixed so those are our only real restrictions here. An image must start at one of the set points or you will get a dead theme slot in that spot. When using an image larger than 6.176k it will bleed over into the next, for example I have a 17k 480x272 image and place it at the first point (00000000) it will be first in my theme list, work fine, but it will kill the next two slots. So my next image will have to start at the next available start point, slot 04 which is 18.528k in. There is no need to pad out a 480x272 image to fit a span of slots perfectly, since it is at the full screen rez the psp wont get a chance to display any garbage left between the image end and the next start point.

Okay enough of my talking lets make our file. =)

*note* full 480x272 background images will make white boxes out of default xmb icons. To use a full 480x272 bg without white boxes you'll have to have a custom topmenu_plugin on that includes all the subicons too. To keep original icons/subicons with no white boxes the biggest you can make a bg image is 460x261.

In photoshop open your choice 480x272 image (keep things simple for full rez ones that will go in slots 01 – 11, save your most complex detailed image for slot 12 since it can have a large filesize and you don’t have to worry about it killing slots after it). Edit to your liking and choose file > save for web.

Choose filetype > jpeg in the drop down list. Note the filesize in the bottom left, now start lowering quality to get the filesize as small as possible while keeping it visually pleasing.

Note the chart up at the start while you do this so you know how many slots that image will be taking up and remember actual size after a save is always a little larger than the displayed size. My image in the screen is 17.62k (18,039k actual after save) so I know it will take up three slots in the theme list since the 4th starts at 18.528k.

Now rinse and repeat as many times as you like. Edit your 480x272 images, save for web as jpeg and lower the quality to get things as small as possible yet still visually pleasing.

Finally take your fav, most detailed 480x272 and save for web as jpeg at high quality. This will be your 12th slot image and it’s size doesn’t matter so go big and fancy.

Okay so I made 3 images under 18.528k, knowing that each would take up 3 slots a piece from the chart up there. So “metal” will be in slot 1 taking up slots 1-3, “boobs” will be in slot 4 taking up slots 4-6, and “ghost” will be in slot 7 taking up slots 7-9. I know “quins” will be my 12 since it is the largest filesize so I just grabbed two normal size 6.176k images for the available 10 and 11 spots. Now that I know all my spots are filled as efficiently as possible it’s time to compile them together.

We copy and paste an original 01-12.bmp (or any normal size compiled one) into our folder.

Open it in your hex editor.

Be sure overwrite mode is turned on so it overwrites the existing stuff rather than just shoving things around, here's a screen of the button in HHD free hex editor, I imagine it's an available option in any editor.

Refer to the chart at the start for easy reference to the image start lines.

Open your first image in your hex editor, select all and copy

Back in the original 01-12 hex with the first “42” @ 00000000 selected

paste in the copied jpg hex.

Find the end of the jpg you just pasted in, note what line you are on, and use the chart to find the next image start point.

Open your next image in your hex editor, select all and copy.

Back in the 01-12 at the next available start point select the “42” at the start of the line and paste in the next image.

Rinse and repeat pasting in images at the starts of the preset starting lines. When you’re all done choose file > save as and name it 01-12.bmp

Drop it on your psp and you’re good =)

sometimes when you go to change theme's the psp will dump a white screen on ya even though a valid image is selected. Just choose the slot you want and then choose theme again and it will load the image.

Making one with 11 normal size ones (6.176k each) and one high rez is a little quicker. Compile your 01-12 with 12 normal size ones like normal and then just hex edit in your high rez jpg right into spot 12 and save as 01-12.bmp and you're done.

Last edited by dbrums; 04-13-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: updating

Currently tweeking 3.03 OEC

KaZx is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Jownathown is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Sticky this!

Spartan 117 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

nice tut

*STICKIED*
    lol @ Thread

© Spartan 117. 2005-2017. All rights Reserved, lol

Need X-Box 360 help, Click Here!

ONEDEADLYVENOM is offline GameBoot King -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 117
    nice tut

*STICKIED*
    I was going to sticky this but I remembered that I aint a mod so, any way this tutorial is sweet and deserves a sticky from the 1st post , keep up the good work meng!

ODV out!:mrgreenthumbsup:
    IT'S A DICTATORSHIP HERE NOW WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS TO THREADS WE CREATED ! WOW AND THEY SAID NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE ! WHAT A LIE ...
    I WILL NOT BE DOING ANYMORE REQUESTS MY FRIENDS NO GAMEBOOT OR CINTRO OR COLDBOOTS! I AM SURE I WILL GET BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH TOO ..

Aj23 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I did this whole tutorial and put on my psp tried to flash with psp wardrobe and the screen cam up white... just like with all the other bmp i tried to put on.. i went to theme to chagne color but the first 4 or 5 slots were blank and the others were just original sony colors...do you know whats wrong or what i can do?

Rob S. is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Aj23
    I did this whole tutorial and put on my psp tried to flash with psp wardrobe and the screen cam up white... just like with all the other bmp i tried to put on.. i went to theme to chagne color but the first 4 or 5 slots were blank and the others were just original sony colors...do you know whats wrong or what i can do?
    Aj23,

if this is the first time you are replacing the original 01-12.bmp with a custom one, your going to get the white screen

if you are using a single image full resolution 01-12.bmp, or using BioToxxx's tutorial for multiple full resolution imaged 01-12.bmps:

go to theme settings / theme

pick the .bmp you want (if you have only one, it will be the first under original)

exit theme settings

even if the screen is white, either go to reboot psp (if you installed the network icon .prx) or hold up on the power switch (coldboot)

you will see your 01-12.bmp after you reboot your psp

you will only have to do this once...

i have flashed 01-12.bmps multiple times after doing this and they always show up after exiting recovery mode.

Aj23 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by robs1968
    Aj23,

if this is the first time you are replacing the original 01-12.bmp with a custom one, your going to get the white screen

if you are using a single image full resolution 01-12.bmp, or using BioToxxx's tutorial for multiple full resolution imaged 01-12.bmps:

pick the .bmp you want (if you have only one, it will be the first under original)

exit theme settings

even if the screen is white, either go to reboot psp (if you installed the network icon .prx) or hold up on the power switch (coldboot)

i have flashed 01-12.bmps multiple times after doing this and they always show up after exiting recovery mode.
    I did what you ssaid but the same thing... still whtie screen.... the spots where i put my custom one are blank under the theme setting ... ujst looks like a shadow there.....I have a few bmp made....maybe i can post my smallest one with only three themes and someone else can see if it works

heres is my bmp

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2std77

Rob S. is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by robs1968
    Aj23,

exit theme settings

I did what you ssaid but the same thing... still whtie screen.... the spots where i put my custom one are blank under the theme setting ... ujst looks like a shadow there.....I have a few bmp made....maybe i can post my smallest one with only three themes and someone else can see if it works

heres is my bmp

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2std77
    Aj23,

you need to read through some of the tutorials on here because you are doing something wrong....

i split your 01-12.bmp and there's something seriously wrong with it:

first, your full size bg is corrupt:

second, 4 of your 60x34 bmps are corrupt as well

aside from it being way to large (on 3.40oe you will get the white icons)

i resized your original full sized bmp to 460x261 and saved it as a .png tricked .bmp

it's only 28kb

i flashed it to my psp and it works fine...if it doesn't work for you you're doing something wrong...

are you sure you are putting it in vsh/resource ?

try it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/r8fx7r

you should be asking for help in the help forum Aj23....

BioToxxx is offline -Hacks Smarty

Can you split a 01-12 with different image sizes? I think a split just cuts at 6.176k intervals, the normal spread. That partial full size image there is exactly 6.176k of the image so i kinda think that the split cut it and the rest of it would be in the next slot but I dont know it it would show in a split since theres not a proper image header on that second half ya know? If the little 60x34 ones are showin up corrupt I'm thinkin they just didnt start at the proper places. Images can only start at the begining the 12 preset lines.

Currently tweeking 3.03 OEC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast