Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official Background Help Thread!

DorifutoRabbit is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LemonIce
    I'm trying to make my on wallpapers...How do you make bars? Anyone have a tut for that? I'm using PS
    Okay, first you need a screenshot of your theme to start with. What I do is change its opacity to about 50%, and then put it on top, and anything new, you can make on top, then hide the screenshot layer afterward.

Once you have that, you need to decide what style you want for your 'XMB holder' bar thing (:p).
    If you have a Matrix background for example, you could have a simplified outline, like they used in that white room in the second movie, which was the same shape as a memory stick, a rectangle minus a corner.

Now you have your chosen shape, select black as the first colour, grab the pencil or brush tool, and set it to how thick you want it, brush will have a smoother look. Now, using a new layer above the screenshot layer, draw each box around the logos, if you're using the standard theme you should have a big box on the left, with 3-4 smaller but same shaped boxes to the right, you can choose whether they touch sides.

If you want to add a glassy effect, what you need to use is the first selected colour-to-transparent gradient. To get the shape, you could either make a new layer with the outline you drew earlier filled in, which makes it easy to grab with the magic wand, or you can go round with the point to point selector. Either way, you should get the right shape.

After this, select white as your first colour. Now, on a new layer, draw the gradient, so that it starts at the top with transparent, and about halfway, or maybe a third of the way depending on how you like it, the white appears. Once you've done this, delete the rest of the white, you only need the part of the gradient that shows the transition, with maybe one or two pixel rows of full white.

If you want a more curvy look, grab the smudge tool, and drag the bottom of the gradient down. You might have to undo and retry to get the effect you desire.

Fiddle round with the opacity of the gradient, til it looks fairly realistic, you might even want to use filter\blur\gaussian blur on it.

And for the final touch, you could put the rough shapes of the boxes on a layer style like multiply or darken (you can do this on a drop down menu in the layers tab on the far right), to make them fit with your background, but still show up.

And there you have it, your own XMB bars, you can save them seperately with no background as a .png and then put them over the top of other backgrounds to save time, although the layer style might need to be reapplied afterwards.

Hope this helped, :)

xCamera background for official XMB - check it out!

FamilyGuy is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

2007-08-07 14:53:02
    :/

Just Buy A Friggin PS3 Already Waiting on Ninja Gaidan Sigma 2
    Ps3 Fan Service

Remy is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well...here's a really basic question

How do i put a custom background in a 3.71 m33 PSP (phat). The flash0 doesn't have the 1-12bmp anymore (as far as i can tell).

- I'm tying to use a black background while keeping the wavy lines.

jaja2006 is offline -Hacks Newbie

How do you make your backgrounds with the xmb bars? What program will I use?

Jownathown is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Remy, I am not sure on that , because i'm not on 3.71 m33.

jaja2006, You use photoshop, and you make selections over where the icons would be on one layer, and set it to low opacity. I think SJ had a deeper tutorial in his background thread.

kooris is offline -Hacks Newbie

we all know that the themes can be animated, but to what extent? i want to know if you could make an animated matrix background

Kanon7 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey, I'm just getting back into this stuff, but I remember a long time ago (before themes) someone made a neon live background. It was a modification of the stock live background- the wavey thingy. I remember to install it, you had to replace the original file in one of the PSP's partitions. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and can you tell me where to find it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3