Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics vs Jean D'Arc

Kypt is offline -Hacks Smarty

Hey guys. First of all I don't want this to turn into a flamewar, I'm just honestly curious about this. I guess I'm one of the rare type of RPG fans that have never played Final Fantasy Tactics. This is mainly due to the fact that at the time of that game's popularity I didn't speak a lick of english. With time I have gone back to those games which are "classics" yet i couldn't play due to them being "talking games". These classics include Cronno Trigger, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, etc, yet I somehow have skipped Tactics. I was about to download the PSX game for the PSP when I found out about the "native" FFT coming out so I waited, in the mean time I played Jean D'Arc.

Jean D'Arc is amazing, just finished it last night. I loved the story, the gameplay, and the graphics. So now that the game is done (well still doing some missions that I might've missed since jean is missing 2 gems) I wanted to try FFT. I have the European release and it lags whenever magic happens, but anyway. What does FFT have that Jean doesn't? I played the first couple of levels to cup a feel and will wait for the US release yet I wasn't blown away by anything on it. I understand its the tactical rpg that brought it all, but...graphics suck (PS1 graphics), the cutscenes are awesome but we can't play by cutscene...Not sure, after playing such a polished game as Jean I feel like Square Enix really crapped out on me with this port. It is not a remake it is a port...A remake would be something like Final fantasy Tactics DS, now that will be built from bottom up..

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, for those of you that have spent time with both Jean D'Arc and PSPs version of tactics, should I keep at it? If so, why? Does it get better as you get going? Is the story that engaging to look the otherway at the portage? Let me know and thanks :)

Kinetic is offline -Hacks Smarty

jeanne d'arc is better in all aspects except that it doesnt have a job system
    tactics isn't to fun to play through, it feels slow and the ending is amazingly horrible, or at least it was on the psx dunno bout the psp version but i doubt they changed it too much.
    Tactics was good back in its day but now its old, its graphics suck, and it all around just doesnt feel right. btw my opinion was the complete opposite when i first played it, but soon after playing games like disgaea and jeanne d'arc it just seems more real to me that it was good in its time but not so much anymore.
    tactics would have probably seemed a whole lot better if you played it before jeanne d'arc, but unfortunatly there are not going to be many a srpg that is going to be as good jeanne. this is due in part since jeanne is polished and looks and plays amazing where as the classics look worn and play a little rough.

Bottom line: keep with tactics if and only if you want to try and play all of the classics that you missed out on. After playing jeanne, you are going to be completely disappointed in tactics since it has bad graphics, little story (that is fairly confusing), and a very horrible disappointing ending.

*Again as a disclaimer when tactics came out it was my favorite game, it seemed very innovative and amazing, the only thought i had that was the same as now is that the story and ending sucked. so basically im trying to say that this isnt a biased fanboy opinion, it is just the facts that tactics is dated and square didnt seem to do anything to make it look prettier (excluding the added cutscenes) and so after playing an appealing game that seems to offer where tactics was lacking, tactics looks, feels, and seems all around like crap.

cage is offline -Hacks Veteran

Jean D'Arc pwns fft.

eloder is offline -Hacks Veteran

FFT pwns Jeanne d'arc if it weren't for the slowdown...

Jinx1337 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

FFT is a classic game.

Jeanne D'arc I have yet to play.

Keep your PSP's ready for Disgaea in two weeks!!
    It blows both of them away.

Ev0lutionz is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Jean d arc turn play really sux, i had enough troops to finish the guy and the turns ran out and i had a game over.

Kypt is offline -Hacks Smarty

Thanks for your opinions. I think I'll wait for the US version of FFT to come out and then test that. Will give it some levels before I make up my mind either way so i can experience it with the least amount of lagg and if I like it I'll keep it else I'll just wait for Disgaea since that one looks pretty damn neat as well.

Los
    Los is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

I would have to say FFT for the EPIC storyline (and gameplay). No other Strategy RPG comes close to it. Jeanne D'Arc is a very nice game with some depth to it, but play FFT and you'll see what I'm talking about. The job system is very flexible and highly customizable. Since there are two new powerful jobs, and 2 new characters, you can pwn even more.

Xbox Live Gamertag & Playstation Network ID: Los255

spacewiz is offline -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Los
    I would have to say FFT for the EPIC storyline (and gameplay). No other Strategy RPG comes close to it. Jeanne D'Arc is a very nice game with some depth to it, but play FFT and you'll see what I'm talking about. The job system is very flexible and highly customizable. Since there are two new powerful jobs, and 2 new characters, you can pwn even more.
    couldn't have said it better myself
    the job system is mad fun. mix and matching class skills makes some hardcore characters
    PS3 : 300gb : 4.41 OFW
    PSP-1000 : 6.60 PRO-C Fix 3
    DSi : acekard2i - AKAIO 1.8.9

Crimsonscyes is offline -Hacks Ninja

A lot of people are gonna say FFT no matter what just like a lot of people say FFVII will always be the best game ever. I've tried both and IMO Jeanne D'arc is a lot better. It's just easier than FFT to pick up and play plus the story in Jeanne D'arc is excellent.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast