Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why won't Sony or Nintendo have AO rated games???

Guest is offline -Hacks Veteran

I would buy games like this if they were released :mrgreenthumbsup:

I have the edit ver of the wii Manhunt 2 that I like playing but it would be better if it was a AO rating

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/m...ml?sid=6172830

Sony, Nintendo forbid AO-rated Manhunt 2
    Console-makers confirm policies preventing licensed third parties from releasing Adults Only games on their systems, effectively banning the Rockstar title.
    By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
    Posted Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm PT
    When Take-Two Interactive yesterday confirmed that the Entertainment Software Rating Board handed down a rating of AO for Adults Only for Rockstar Games' Manhunt 2 on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Nintendo Wii, the publisher said it was exploring its options.

GameSpot has confirmed with Nintendo and Sony that one of those options, which would be to accept the ESRB's judgment and release the game with the AO rating, isn't an option at all. Both companies forbid licensed third-party publishers from releasing games rated AO for Adults Only on their various hardware platforms. Though Manhunt 2 isn't slated for any of Microsoft's systems, the company has also confirmed that it does not allow AO-rated titles on the Xbox or Xbox 360.

The sole exception to this rule was in 2005 when the already released Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was retroactively rated AO, at which point retailers pulled it from shelves and Take-Two suspended production of the game.

"It's currently our policy not to allow the playback of AO-rated content on our systems," a Sony spokesperson told GameSpot.

Nintendo's official line was much the same. "Games made for Nintendo systems enjoy a broad variety of styles, genres, and ratings," a representative told GameSpot. "These are some of the reasons our Wii and Nintendo DS systems appeal to such a broad range of people. But as with books, television, and movies, different content is meant for different audiences. That's why the ESRB provides ratings to help consumers understand the content of a game before they purchase it. As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems."

Take-Two's most readily available alternatives are to appeal the ESRB's AO rating or to modify the game. As of press time, a Rockstar Games representative had not responded to GameSpot's inquiry about how either move would impact the game's scheduled July 10 release date.

p0op is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

tl;dr

They're trying to stay away from this guy

Crimsonscyes is offline -Hacks Ninja

:o Please take that picture down I'm gonna have nightmares now lol. He looks like he's about to rape someone.

p0op is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Mike[dot]420 is offline -Hacks God

whos that ?

and they dont allow it because in the end. there are so many unfit parents that will allow they're 5 year old to take the game to school and that causes MUCH MUCH more controversy then the game originally made.SO they just cut it out all togeather.

I DONT know my 3rd best guess though. i think of some better stuff later as my high wears off.

3.71 SONY PTF THEMES? CLICK HERE !![56k Warning]
    3.71 FLASH0/CXMB THEMES? CLICK HERE !![56k Warning]
    Installing a flash or cxmb theme? Click HERE !!

makaveddie is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

They dont' want AO games because it kills their target market... AO can ONLY be sold to people above 18 (I believe), while MA games can be sold to anyone... some one tell me if I'm wrong here?

Crimsonscyes is offline -Hacks Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by makaveddie
    They dont' want AO games because it kills their target market... AO can ONLY be sold to people above 18 (I believe), while MA games can be sold to anyone... some one tell me if I'm wrong here?
    The only thing you were wrong about is M rated games being sold to anyone. You need to be at least 17 to buy a M rated game and they ask for ID.

Neutrino is offline -Hacks Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by makaveddie
    By definition, the target market for an AO game would be the potential buyers, so such a game would not kill off the target market.

In fact, every additional game increases the chance that there is a game that a consumer would find attractive enough to merit buying the console.

The reason console makers don't want to carry AO games is that it would be bad for the corporate image. Hyper-reactive parents and politicians are all too keen to snap at the slightest sign of violence or obscenity in games nowadays. Imagine the crap they would bring to the table if they found out that the newest release for the PSP was the critically acclaimed (and AO-rated) 'Manhunt: Major Massacre Edition'.

makaveddie is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    By definition, the target market for an AO game would be the potential buyers, so such a game would not kill off the target market.
    How does making a game targeted to teenagers but only being sold to people above 18 not diminish the target market? They knew that if they kept the game as is, the pool of potential buyers would decrease, resulting in poor game sales. The AO also increases parents' awareness of just how ruthless the game may be, while an MA rating is really laughable (MGS:PO was MA and that game was not violent at all in my opinion).

You are right about the corporate image though. Target has already begun to pull Manhunt 2 off of the shelves.

Confuzion is offline -Hacks Smarty

Its a shame that companies don't produce a lot of AO games, because the childish crap I see these days is just unappealing... Manhunt 2 uncencored was a nice change

\"Knowing nothing in life but to be legit.. don\'t quote me boy, i ain\'t said sh1t.\"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast