Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Prespectives for the PSP, 2008 Retrospect

StevenMitnick is offline Banned -Hacks Newbie

Thumbs up 2009 Prespectives for the PSP, 2008 Retrospect

Since the year is almost up I thought it would be a good idea to make a retrospective of 2008 in terms of the PSP Gaming (I am sorry homebrewers but I shall exclude homebrew from this topic since I am not the best person to talk about it).
    So we could say that 2008 started pretty well with God of War and Crisis Core making their debuts on PSPs but things turned grim after that. Ready at Dawn handed over their PSP Dev Kits, franchises like Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider didn't come to the Sony handheld this time, and there was an obvious period of drought in game releases during the summer holiday - you might remember me doing a State of Gaming thread in this same forums around that time.
    This end of the year brought some new games to PSPs all over the world but still it feels like 2008 was waaaaay to weak in comparison with 2007.
    All over the web there are 4 games that make the obvious - or not-so-obvious - choices for best games in 2008:

1. God of War: Chains of Olympus
    2. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    3. Patapon
    4. WipeOut Pulse

Then you have the hidden cards that came out, game like:

1. Space Invaders Extreme
    2. Echochrome
    3. Downstream Panic
    4. Star Ocean: First Departure

Near the end of the year we were also blessed - though some beg to differ - with Loco Roco 2, and a suprisingly good FIFA 09 and more recently Dungeon Maker II.
    On the PSN side on things we also have Everyday Shooter, or the mighty Super Stardust Portable
    I guess the more impactful things in terms of non-gaming on the PSP was the 3000 revision and the "scanline" issue.
    So yes, 2008 had few games, but GOOD games - and I decided to leave out games like Valhalla Kinghts 2 due to the fact it was over-hyped and did not deliver.
    So where does that leave us for 2009? If you look at it in a 2008 point of view, 2009 is going to be the year of the PSP - or so Sony claims, again.
    Let's check the 2009 lineup for the PSP as we know it to be right now:

1. Dissidia: Final fantasy - This might be the only game I'll ever import and from the looks of it I don't think I'll regret it. Slated for a 2008 Japan release, WE all know it only going to get US/EU bound more than six months into 2009

2. Final Fantasy Agito XIII - The first numbered series to come to the PSP - or so developers claim - is going to be both single and multiplayer friendly. Will it deliver?

3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - A wildcard here... We know the KH series to be quite good - though there are many haters - but the fact that it won't have any FF character in it makes us wonder: can KH succeed without FF presence?

4. Parasite Eve 3 aka The 3rd Birthday - Now this is a franchise - that I personally - longed to see revived by the folks at SE, although not as good as the Resident Evil series, it is still quite solid and may give us some fun with our handheld.

5. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - AH-HA! The best 2008 game for the PSP in Japan (if not the best 2008 game period) is finally crossing nipponic borders! Thousands of PSP'ers are itching for this one.

6. Phantasy Star Portable - Sega's rival to the Monster Hunter saga on the PSP is also coming US/EU side. We all loved the original games for Game Gear, Master System and Genesis, but can this PSP iteration deliver?

7. Resistance: Retribution - So, Sony decided to turn a FPS into a 3rd Person Shooter? The game seems to promise a lot but will it deliver also? We do have bad experiences with over-hyped games, ain't we?

Also worthy of mention are games like: Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2, Star Ocean: Second Evolution, Prinny: CIRbtH, Mana Khemia. Not bad considering we aren't even in 2009 yet. Things could get even hotter!
    As for the rumour mill - we all love it don't we? - Around the net we can hear echoes of a new GTA for PSP, a LittleBigPlanet PSP version, a new Jak and Daxter game, Ready at Dawn's might comeback, the famous vapourware's Oblivion: Travels and GT: Mobile may - or may not - appear, a unnamed and unnannouced CryTek PSP game and a PSP-4000 revision.
    Out of my list I left Level-5 Ushiro, for it is yet TBC date in Japan - God knows how long we'll have to wait for that one - But considering Jeanne D'Arc was one of the best RPG's on the PSP, Ushiro promises a LOT.
    And I guess that pretty much sums it up, eh? The only question left in my mind is: Where is the hell are the oh-so-promised Ubisoft projects? Oh well...

(The author of this wannabe article encourages criticism, and wants YOUR opinion. If you had the patience to read all that, please leave your comments and opinion, the purpose of this huge chuck of text is also to promote discussion)

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

tl;dr.‏‎‏‎‏‎‏‎‏‎‏‎

barnesm999 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMitnick View Post

3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - A wildcard here... We know the KH series to be quite good - though there are many haters - but the fact that it won't have any FF character in it makes us wonder: can KH succeed without FF presence?

I never played Final Fantasy in my life when I opened up Kingdom Hearts 1 for Christmas one year. And i fell in love with it. It wasn't until I beat it that I found out it was even guest staring characters from other games...

I then went through and played chain of memories, which I don't believe had any FF characters in it which I didn't even notice until now. And then KH2 which I thoroughly enjoyed, not for FF characters, but for the plot and characters in general.

I guess the FF characters make some people enjoy the game a little more, but I don't think the series runs on FF at all... I know for a fact now after playing some FF games that I enjoy KH a lot more then FF anyways...
    Formerly barnes8 but i registered with an old email that i forgot the password too :\

flash670 is offline -Hacks Hacker

looking forward to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 7.

i also fell in love with kingdom hearts when i played it a couple years ago, cant wait for this to come out.

anyone of release dates out for KH: Birth by sleep or final fantasy agito yet?

EDIT: crap, bad news for KH fans looking forward to this game "quickly"
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Platform: PlayStation Portable
    Release Date: TBA
    Release Region: United States

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    Release Date: TBA
    Release Region: United Kingdom

CEROKingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    Release Date: December 31, 2009
    Release Region: Japan
    SOURCE
    Last edited by flash670; 01-27-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    .Chosen0ne\. I Ain't Jockin' Yo Swagg I Be Jawdroppin'
    .UPGRADE YOUR PSP TUTORIAL.

sirtifiedacc is offline -Hacks Member

Sega should SOOO port a Yakuza title to the PSP. However since they don't even plan to bring Yakuza 3 to the PS3 outside of Japan, i doubt that would happen. Its funny how they finally decided to create a quality title.. but when they do..they have no idea what to do with it.

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Nothing personal but a lot of discussion if you ask me

As I really never liked wipeout and I consider it a pretty bad F-zero clone, also Patapon is one of the worst games I've ever seen, don't know why a lot of people like it, same as Loco Roco which I hated too. I think it's maybe just me

Also didn't like most of the "hidden cards" you posted, maybe I'm kind of picky

Anyway

I don't know how could you overlooked "Star Wars the Force Unleashed" as it was one of the few games that caught my eye this year, and one of the best psp games there's ever been IMO, if you haven't tried it, you really have to.

2008 was a really weak year for the psp, I even got a 360 so I could catch up my gaming (been playing Gears of War, It's really good)

Hope 2009 will bring a lot more games
    Then again, I'm really picky and I'm only waiting for:
    - Resistance Retribution
    - Parasite Eve the Third Birthday
    - Final Fantasy Dissidia
    - Prinny can i really be the hero?
    - Kingdom Hearts, seems worth it
    and that's it

I don't like Monster Hunter, FFXIII Agito looked really bad in the trailer I saw the other day, I have no idea what is Phantasy Star Portable and so on

What I would really love to have:

- Devil may cry, temptative name Dance of Sparda, hopefully the story of how he sealed the demonic world and beated mundus (even a damn port would be ok)

- Killzone, in FPS as Liberation was a piece of crap, at least from my point of view, cause I really liked the one for PS2

- Resident Evil game, anything would be ok, but if it plays like RE4, it'll be awesome

- Something from team ICO, wouldn't that be super-extra nice?

- New Tekken with online play or at least the posibility to use the PS3 adhoc party

I know my dreams are a bit impossible, but hey, that's why they are called dreams, you have to go as high as you can

edit: all in all 2009 will be a great year for the psp.

/\ not my opinion, I just cut and paste if from the original thread at DCEmu Forums too /\
    ( ^^)b

Fd! is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmm View Post
    I just cut and paste if from the original thread at DCEmu Forums too
    lol @ forums teleportation.

sirtifiedacc is offline -Hacks Member

It would be nice to see the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 ported over with Portable Ops style graphics..afterall it would be a good follow up to Portable Ops.. even though there would still be a good 20 year gap between Portable Ops and Metal Gear 1 and 2... but lets face it..the PSP needs another Metal Gear Title.

gold2040 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sirtifiedacc View Post
    It would be nice to see the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 ported over with Portable Ops style graphics..afterall it would be a good follow up to Portable Ops.. even though there would still be a good 20 year gap between Portable Ops and Metal Gear 1 and 2... but lets face it..the PSP needs another Metal Gear Title.
    I would cream my pants if MGS2 was ported over
    PSPDosbox ---> Compatibility List
    Want to contribute, PM me

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

I also wanted to play through Metal Gear 1 & 2, but couldnt be bothered configuring the msx emulator.

Wasnt there supposed to be a Metal Gear anniversary pack coming out on psp?
    ( ^^)b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast