Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guide for XLink KAI.

Anubislg is offline -Hacks Newbie

Welcome to the guide for XLink KAI!
    Now..I'm sure most of you are saying... "WTF is that?"
    Well...in a nut shell, it lets you play your PSP Games that only have AD-HOC mode, wirelessly over the entire INTERNET!

AD-HOC and Infrastructure....wha?
    There are two modes of wireless play in the PSP world. AD-HOC, and Infrastructure.

AD-HOC~You can think of this mode as a "chained" mode. Basically, any PSP's within a 30 foot range, you can connect with/play games with. You could think of this mode, like the old-school "link cable" mode.

Infrastructure~Think of this mode, like the internet. With this mode, you can link up with any other PSP in the world (provided that you have access to a WiFI Point)

Disclaimer/Things to know.

Ok ok, but first, a disclaimer:
    THIS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO FLASH YOUR ROUTER! THIS MAY MAKE YOUR ROUTER GO KA-BOOM, AND NOT WORK! I, PSP-HACKS, AND ANYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, TAKE NO RESPONCIBILITY IF YOUR ROUTER BECOMES BROKEN!

Oki...that's enough bold text for me for 10 years.
    Now for another rule:
    You can only use the firmware update on the following routers:
    Linksys WRT54G/GS & Buffalo G-54 wireless routers.
    No other routers will work as of me writing this, sorry guys!

Now that that's out of the way...on with the guide!

Downloading everything you need.

For starters, download the router Firmware from this link:
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads/ddwrtpsp1c.zip

Then unzip it to what-ever location you wish. I found the guide included in the zip file to be very helpful, at times. Although note I'll go into more detail further on in this guide. But please do read the entire guide that comes with the zip file, it has some useful things on it. :D

Now, download the XLink KAI Client, and then install it.
    Here's the addy: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

Just click on the Download link up at the top, select your OS, then you're good to go. After that's installed, we'll get around to registering, and installing everything.

Getting everything configured, and the firmware installed.

Registering XLink:
    It's free, damn easy, and otherwise not really a pain in your rear.
    So, start up the XLink Program by going into your start menu, then clicking on "Start Kai." Just like in the pretty picture below.

Now, when that's done, you'll see a screen like the one in the picture. Click where you see the first arrow in the lower left corner. This'll bring up the user registration form. Just simply fill it out, and you'll be set to go. Be sure to include a REAL E-mail address, since they send you a e-mail to verify your account.

After that's done, feel free to close down Kai, since we'll have to do some a lot more things before everything's set up n' good to go.

Now, go back to the start menu, but this time, click on the "Start Kai Config Tool" Like in the pretty picture below.

Now, you'll see a screen that looks like the one below. Please try and match all the options up so they look like the one in the picture. Of course, there ARE some exceptions. For example, your Network Adapter will most likely be different. And of course, enter in YOUR XLink User ID and Password where it asks for it.

Ok...now you're done with that, yee-haw!
    Now for the Router Firmware.
    You'll have to get into your Routers main menu, which is done by entering in an address in your web-browser.

I'll tell you now... 80% of the time (maybe higher?) it's something like 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, to access your router. Unless you've fugged around with it.

Once you're there, follow the directions to install the firmware on your router, that you found in the ZIP file. It's a good guide, I like it. ^^b

Once that's done, here's a few things I found out that the firmware guide neglected to mention. =='''

1. Reboot your Router after the firmware's done. This generally means removing the power from it, hitting the reset button on the back of it, then slinging wet noodles across the room.
    (Ok...I wonder how many people will really sling wet noodles across the room, and if I can get away with saying that. . .)

2. You may have to re-boot your cable/DSL modem. This is done by removing the power from your modem for a good solid 5~10 minutes, sometimes shorter. I had to do this, before I could hop back onto the internet on my PC.

How to use KAI, how to configure your router, and junk like that.

Now...this is where I'm thankful for the PrtScrn button on my keyboard.
    For the most part, just follow the pictures! Please note, I'm using a Linksys Router. Sorry guys, I have no pics, or info, on the other router listed. ._.'

Access your router, using the above mentioned way (I.E. Use your internet-browser, then enter in something like 192.168.1.1...although it's not always this, of course, like I said earlier.) Then set Autologin to Enable. Put in your XLink Username, and password.
    Notice where it says Interface? You can find out details about what to put there in the Firmware Read-me. Although the only one that worked for me was br0, heh.

Next up is starting the KAID Engine on your router. What IS a KAID Engine? Don't worry about it. If you want to know the details on how this all works, I'll make a 2nd post about it all. This part will also show you how to get your PSP Registered on the router!

Now, for how to work what you see in that picture above.
    First off, click on the button that says: "Start Kaid"
    It should then say RUNNING, like it does in the picture up there.
    Next:
    Start up whichever game you wish to use Multi-Player with on your PSP. Once it's started up, try to host a game.
    Once the game is hosting, click on the button that says "Scan PSP."
    If all works out, then you should see where it says PSP_NOT_FOUND change to something else!
    Wireless Mode at this point will also change from AP to PSP.

Here's some quick things to remember:
    While using your PSP with XLink KAI, you CANNOT use any other 802.11 wireless devices with your router.
    In other words, if you're running XLink KAI, and Wireless Mode says PSP (like it does in the picture above), then you wouldn't be able to use your Pocket PC to surf the web (assuming your Pocket PC uses WiFI too.)

When you're done with XLink, and want to use other devices wirelessly, just click on the AP Mode (Access Point Mode) button on the right. (You can see it in the picture.)

How to use XLink, and your PSP.

At this point, your router should be in PSP mode. If it's not, read above steps. Also make sure your KAID is RUNNING on the router (again, see above steps/picture.)

Now, start up the XLink Kai Evolution VII Program (They ever heard of abbreviations?)

Once there, clicky on the things you'll see in this picture, in this order:
    Clicky the World Icon, near the top orange arrow. This'll gain you access to the "Arena Screen"
    Clicky on Green Arrow, near the bottom orange arrow in the picture. This'll gain you access to the PSP Game Arena.

Now, at this point, you should have whatever game it is you want to play loaded up, and in the multi-player screen.

From the next few screens, just navigate around! It's all very user-friendly, and this is the easy part of it. ^^

Congratulations, enjoy the wireless world of world competition!

If there's anything missing in this guide, as always, please feel free to post additions. ^^b After-all, no one's perfect, ya know mon?

~Anu Guide, featuring NEW YELLOW ARROWS! End~

Ace
    Ace is offline -Hacks Smarty

if u have 2 or 3 PSP at that point can they play others across the internet or is it limited to 1 per router?

Wolf is offline -Hacks Newbie

XLink is not very user-friendly; not the program nor the support. Other people have to translate the guides to make slightly understandable.

lol, I found it pretty easy. ^^'
    No translation needed, since it seems that the people who make it are english speaking.

Although I'll do a guide on XBConnect a little later, too. :D

bfk777 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Must you use those routers ONLY for it to work?

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 router (802.11g). it's 54g

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=136493

Will this work?

At this time, you can only use the routers listed, since the firmware will only work with those specific routers.

chimam2002 is offline -Hacks Newbie

i have been trying to install kai but after i unzip it and it starts to unpack, it doesn't finish the task and thats it it wont install. okay i've tryed to dl the components individually but the kai ui wont detect th engine when i go to configure the system the ui does not detect a java. their is no firewall b/c i checked, so please if u have any advice on how to open up the kai installer i will appreciate it if u posted it.

Hmmm, that's odd.

As far as not detecting Java: Goto the Config Tools of KAI, and change the UI from Java to Normal. That'll at least solve that problem!

As far as not being able to fully install it...that I'm stumped on, sorry. ._.

chimam2002 is offline -Hacks Newbie

so there's no other way for me to dl the files

Afraid not. ._.
    That's the only way you can download and install the files.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast