Thread: What's Sony's position on Japan systems sold allover the US?

lancelll is offline -Hacks Newbie

I'm quite concerned... Just yesterday I saw my friend's brand new PSP he bought on Best Buy. (i'm here in Chicago by the way) And guess what I saw??? It's a Japanese system running on 1.5v firmware! From what I know if there are warranty issues, Sony USA only honors US systems. i know that if there are minor issues, you can just have it replaced from where you bought your system, well what if major problems arise and the store can't anymore address the problem.

Mine is also a Japanese system. Though I bought this on E-bay, the owner told me that he got this from EB-Games somewhere in Virginia.

I read a thread here that there could be potential problems when dealing with Japanese systems regarding warranty issues.

Can someone put light to the matter???

WATCH OUT! MGS 4 IS COMING!!!

RaiderX is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Thats weird. How did u know they were JAP? Someone here made a theory that I kinda agree with that the first PSPs that came to Americaa were just JAP PSPs flashed with the English 1.5 firmware. I think this could be true.

ISOHaven is offline -Hacks Guru

That is absolutly false. You guys are forgetting about the region coding. A JAP unit will NOT accept a US upgrade. So IF the region coding is in the firmware and IF $ony completly wrote over the firmware in a special manor that we can't then who cares?

It's still a PSP. It was sold in the US. You have your receipt.

A PSP is a PSP. If you are worried about the initial units having major problems I would stop worring. Your warranty is valid.

I have a v1.0 JAP unit and it's better then the US units I have. $ony improved their units before releasing to the US.

Now maybe they had some JAP units left over and they snuck them in to the US release but getting one of those would be rare.

So the question still stands. How do you know what you have was a JAP unit before they completly wiped it out and reloaded it with all US software?
    If the truth hurts.....CHANGE

Stephen at AeroXP is the worlds greatest piece of CRAP! I urge anyone and EVERYONE to go give him hell. He uses his authority at that site to slander and lie about people then lock the threads before any clarity can be shown.

How do u know Sony didnt just FLASH the motherboard to make the US PSPs not accept JAP updates and to accept US ones? U know, like put the US software and all. same for gamma packs. And seripously, how did u know that urs was JAP? The only thijng that I can think of is thta in the INITIAL SETUP when u turn it on 4 the 1st time, that it was already on JAPANESE instead of ENGLISH as default.

ISOHaven is offline -Hacks Guru

If he turned it on and it was JAP then that IS A JAP UNIT. Do a US update to 1.52 and see if it takes it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    If the truth hurts.....CHANGE

Stephen at AeroXP is the worlds greatest piece of CRAP! I urge anyone and EVERYONE to go give him hell. He uses his authority at that site to slander and lie about people then lock the threads before any clarity can be shown.

No. I mean that U knoiw how the first time u turn on a PSP it asks u to set the language, time, dtae, and some other stuff? Thats the initial setup. And when it gets to the language part, it is hovering over ENGLIOSH in default. So maybe if his was on JAPANESE as default, then that would explain. Other than that, In have no idea how he knows his is JAP, if it even is.

lancelll is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well, I guess one could find out if it's a Japanese system or not is when you run a UMD movie in it. Movies are Region coded right? US version can run US PSP UMD movies, Japs don't...

Honestly, I really am trying to confirm if my system really is Japanese... That is why I am concerned if there are warrranty issues. ISO Haven is right, "a PSP is a PSP" and my concern was only blown out of proportion out of my concern that I have no receipt to cling to because I purchased it as a USED Unit on e-bay.

Sorry guys to have you all worked-up on this but I think that it was a valid concern.

As for trying to update my unit to a 1.52, I wouldn't go there yet until I am positively sure of my unit and if homebrews will run to it.

THANK YOU GUYS for replying on this post.

WATCH OUT! MGS 4 IS COMING!!!