Thread: movie format

Storm is offline -Hacks Smarty

As I live in Australia and am looking at buying either a US or jap psp I realise I wont be able to play umd movies.
    So if I download a movie in either say mpeg or avi format can I just copy it over to a mem stick and play it on my psp?
    I've seen some programs that will convert movies to mp4 format, is this the only format a psp will recognise?
    If I can download a movie and transfer/convert it to my psp then I dont need to wait for a aussie psp as I can go and buy an import one now.
    The region coded umd movies is the only reason so far I'am waiting until Sept 1st plus I'd rather get an import psp with a lower firmware version that what I assume we will have here.

Recusant is offline -Hacks Neophyte

I know the PSP can play any UMD games, but I'm not sure about movies. If you really want one now, buy one, but beware, it might come with 1.51+ firmware and that means no homebrew. Yesh, you can just convert videos from .AVI, .MPEG, etc. I use PSP Video 9 for my converting, so I really recommend that. PSP only recognises MP4 videos.

SONY_PSP_DUDE is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Converting movies isnt to hard but converting dvds takes time.

Star Stats
    Starts:5 Poles:0 Wins:1 Top5\'s:4 Top10\'s:5 DNF\'s:0 Points:957.5 Rank:1st

Thanks guys, well it looks like a US psp might be the go...can you still buy the older firmware version?
    I've got a psp manual here somewhere so I'll check out how you put movies on the mem stick but it shouldnt be to hard.

Is it possible to rip a movie from a umd onto a 1 gig mem stick?
    Also to rip a dvd to mem stick you would need software to convert a dual layer dvd movie to single layer like DVD Shrink then convert it to mpeg4 right?

Actually further to my last post, why couldnt you rip a different country coded movie on umd to mpeg 4 format and then play it on your different country coded psp?
    Wouldnt the mpeg4 format make it universal and not country coded anymore?

SONY_PSP_DUDE is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Right now you cant rip and convert a umd movie. This will help youwith converting movies: http://discuss.mobiledeviant.com/art...rticle&artid=1

Next time press the edit button to continue your post instead of triple posting because the mods dont like that.

Hope this helps you.

Star Stats
    Starts:5 Poles:0 Wins:1 Top5\'s:4 Top10\'s:5 DNF\'s:0 Points:957.5 Rank:1st

Sorry guys..didnt know about the triple post thing, will check the link out..thanks for the help :)