Thread: Someting to read before eploring the world of ISO's

pspbot is offline -Hacks Member

I've had my psp for just about 2 weeks now and i've probably done everything one can think of in the way of homebrew games and such. That is I've done all the interesting things ;) One noteworthy aspect of the psp is the ability to download games (illegally albiet) from the internet and run them on the psp.

From the experience I have with playing ISO games from the memory stick I can tell any of you who are new to all of this what to look out for.

First of all, it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to run ISO's. There are a tonne of factors which determine whether it will work or not.
    Is the ISO good? Is the loader good? Are the loader and the ISO compatible. Do I have them installed properly?

Finding the answer to those four questions alone can take hours in the long run.

The biggest question anyone can ask when playing with ISO's is, is this worth it?

Well, to be honest with you, there's a yes and a no answer.

Some reasons not to do it are:
    It takes forever to download an ISO and a lot of the time the ISO doesn't work.
    Downloaded games often crash (mostly when you engage sleep mode and turn it back on) which is absolutely annoying if you're far enough in the game.
    Some games don't allow you to save (in other words they crash at the save screen too).
    You don't have a pretty box and instructions to warrant your purchase (personally I like to "own" things, not just download them.)

One of the worst things about downloaded games is that if you're not paying for them, chances are you wont appreciate them very much either. It's hard to be enthusiastic about a game you've wanted for so long when you downloaded it along side 10 other games.
    Chances are you wont play very much of any one of them.

All said and done with the negative, here's the possitive.

Chances are you aren't backing it up you're just stealing it so way to go it's free.
    The load times on the downloaded games are dependant on the memory card and not a UMD (which is slow as hell) so chances are it'll load WAY faster.
    Hell, it's just fun to be able to say (look what I can do! Look what I can do!!!) when you get something running that took you a while to accomplish.
    This last bit about accomplishment is the largest factor for me, I get a rush when I make a homebrew app or ISO game run on my psp, however I personally hardly find that reason enough to pirate games.
    Like I said in the cons section, I find it hard to appreciate free software the way I would appreciate something I had to work to achieve.

With that all said and done, now the decision of whether or not to do it remains up to you. If you want to see what your PSP can do (without breaking the law) try playing around with the homebrew on this and many other psp sites.
    Or just do what many people are doing anyway and play around with ISO's till your eyes fall out of your head (or the feds show up at your door) whichever comes first. ;)

pspbot.

What do you mean is it better than DS... Can DS play SNES games? I think not...

MaHan05 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

i am just wondering why the help this is in the help section....did anyone ask for that info....it should have beeen somewhere else

Exira is offline -Hacks Guru

90% of that is all your opinion.

THis is trivial information and helps no one
    Oh come let us adore him, betray, and then ignore him.

pspbot is offline -Hacks Member

No need to get angry with a person for speaking their point of view, these are the things i've learned about ISO's and launchers so far and I think i'm alright to tell others if I want. Why does it bother you so much?
    You guys are acting like I dissed you or something.

pspbot
    What do you mean is it better than DS... Can DS play SNES games? I think not...

kishkash is offline -Hacks Newbie

Appreciate you posting that m8. Cleared up a lot of things.

madmatt is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I think he posted it for psp noobs concidering using loaders. I think of using loaders to help me save $50 from a crappy/hard game. So far becuase of these loaders, it has incuraged me to go out and get 2 games I was unsure about or didnt know (Bleach and Hot Shots golf, both kick so much ass)

I play a good game, I want to go out and buy it. For 2 reasons, like he said their is a pride that comes with ownership. 2nd you should suport the good games out there, to weed out the crap some devolopers are tring to shove on us (Renguku :evil: ). The mediocore games on the other hand, you can keep pirated and play them till they suck, then delete it. Sony has made more money off of me by having these loaders out there telling me whats good or not. Other wise I would have never bought them.

droid is offline -Hacks Smarty

i think i just lost about 10 IQ points
    <----inventor of the michaelsd boxers

EleMenT is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

i think i just lost about 10 IQ points
    LMFAO :shock:

XxEtrnlDeathXx is offline -Hacks Neophyte

1 - All my ISO's that i ever downloaded worked for me, with all loaders, and the only problem that I ever had for them was just it getting frozen at the sleep mode feature.

2 - It never took me hours to set up, it only took me like an hour and a half the first time I set up an ISO, after that its just a matter of downloading it and transferring it on your Memory Stick.

3 - It doesn't take too long for me to download. Most ISO's I download range from 50-250 MB, and running on the Azereus torrent program it usaully downloads from 30 minutes to an hour and a half, in that time, I usually do something else as watch TV, play console games, play my PSP, etc so Im not just waiting for a darn ISO to finish downloading.

4 - All ISO's from my knowledge work, the ISO's i think your saying of which don't work is that it's just the ISO itself not the loader, in which case use the new Fast Loader, it runs most ISO' games, and for the ones it doesnt there usually a loader for that game, and if the game you want falls in the category of about 3-6 games that don't work on either. It will one day, so :