Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New PSP firmware update in the works

zabbyh is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Saw this on psp updates:

Sony is engaged in a tug-of-war with hackers who keep cracking its PlayStation Portable software to unlock the device and run their own applications on it.

The company is preparing another update to the PSP firmware to fix a recently disclosed bug that lets hackers downgrade the PSP system software and run their own, so-called homebrew code on the device, a Sony representative said Thursday.

"It is not...what the device was designed for," said Patrick Seybold, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We plan to deal with this issue with the next system update." He declined to say when that update would be ready.

Soon after Sony released the PSP earlier this year, hackers started hunting for bugs in the software that runs the device. Flaws were found and used to run homegrown applications, such as a PDF reader and an FTP client, on the device. The bugs were not used to attack PSP users.

Sony last month updated the PSP firmware to version 2.0. The update encompassed new features, including a Web browser, but also fixed the flaws that had been exploited by the hackers. The 2.0 update was made available on Sony's Web site and will be included in new PSP games, which will require the update, Seybold said.

Previous Next The 2.0 release sparked a new round of hacking. A buffer overflow flaw in the software was disclosed last week on PSP Updates, a PSP enthusiast site. The new bug can be exploited to run code on the device and to downgrade to version 1.5 of the firmware, according to PSP Updates. Version 1.5 was more hacker-friendly.

Sony is not "actively going after the people doing it," Seybold said, but the company does not advise running homebrew code on the PSP. "Running unauthorized software will void the warranty," he said.

The PSP was released in the U.S. in March. Since then, more than 2 million units have been sold in the U.S., according to Sony. The device is sold primarily as a portable game machine, but users can also play movies and music, display digital photos and browse the Internet through its built-in wireless networking.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funniest part is
    "Running unauthorized software will void the warranty," he said
    How the hell can running homebrew void a warranty??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.alucard.cc

Dansco is offline -Hacks Member

Funniest part is Quote:
    How the hell can running homebrew void a warranty???

I thought this was funny too. I think what they actually mean is "downgrading to v1.5 to use Homebrew is naughty and we'll say it voids warranty to stop people doing it" :lol:
    Current firmware running : v3.10-OE.
    Recommended game(s) : GTA:LCS & WSOP.
    Current games playing : GTA:LCS, UEFA CL, PES7, WSOP & Tiger Woods \'07.
    Previous firmware versions : v1.0, v1.5 (several times), v2.0 (few times), v2.7 & v3.03.

killerkhatiby009 is offline -Hacks Smarty

hey zabbyh is your avatar a picture of a sharingan and also yea lol its kinda funny how running homebrew voids the warranty.

XanderChaos is offline -Hacks Smarty

Funniest part is Quote:
    How the hell can running homebrew void a warranty???

I thought this was funny too. I think what they actually mean is "downgrading to v1.5 to use Homebrew is naughty and we'll say it voids warranty to stop people doing it" :lol:
    I bricked my PSP a long time ago trying to downgrade, I just told em I was trying to upgrade.

Backlash - PSP is offline -Hacks Newbie

Theres no way they can see if you ran Homebrew, and if there was we could crack it so just deal with it $ony :mrgreen:

LordCthulu is offline Senior Member -Hacks Enthusiast

Shit. They think homebrew is bad.
    Just wait till I finish my current projects.

The bugs were not used to attack PSP users.
    Not yet, anyway. >=)
    Oldest psp-hacks member ever.

fart_sniffer is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

the reason sony said it will viod the warrantee is because it will simply because the hombrew being run can delete important file on your psp even if it is suppoded to be a sweet game.
    but so far none of the homebrew makers are trying to ruin the psp's even though they can very easily

TALL_GUY is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

well hopefully the new update will have some more cool stuff like flash/java support or maybe being able to play the music of the umd games like normal mp3s.

Yo-ho.. yo-ho.. a pirates life for me...

p4ch3c0 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Even if they integrated Java and Flash support in their next upgrade, I wouldn't do upgrade. Whatever they come out with will have to be better than being able to play every NES, GBX, SNES, etc game and every PSP game for free.

The only way that I would ever consider upgrading is if they came out with some kind of remote control airplane which would be controlled by Wi-Fi, and had a camera mounted on the front so that you can see where you're flying on the screen (no doubt that someone would hack it to control nuclear missiles). If this came out, then I'd upgrade.

TALL_GUY is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Even if they integrated Java and Flash support in their next upgrade, I wouldn't do upgrade. Whatever they come out with will have to be better than being able to play every NES, GBX, SNES, etc game and every PSP game for free.
    yeh same here, if i didnt upgrade for the browser im not guna do it for flash support.

im just waiting for MPH to get a working V2 firmware loader/emulator (i dont know if they even are, but you would think it) that would be the shiznit!

Yo-ho.. yo-ho.. a pirates life for me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast