Thread: Some stats from Liksang on the 4gb HDD + X2 Battery

acet is offline -Hacks Smarty

Sorry if this has been posted before.

But this 4gb HDD + battery combo stinks!

It is slower at reading the info than a memory stick (still much faster than a UMD though), and the psp only lasted one (wow!) hour more in tests with the X2 battery attached compared to a PSP with STANDARD battery and 1gb pro duo!

From LikSang:

"Transferring Movies to the PSP

In this test we have transferred a movie file with about 150 MB from the PC to the PSP's Memory Stick slot.

• Transferring to Memory Stick using Media Manager: 44 Seconds.
    • Transferring to 4GB Hard Drive using Media Manager: 90 Seconds.
    • Transferring to Memory Stick using Windows: 35 Seconds.
    • Transferring to 4GB Hard Drive using Windows: 75 Seconds.

Loading Times

Here is an overview of how loading files from the three different solutions compares. Please note that in this test we measured the time from pressing start in the PSP menu, until the file was fully loaded and could be played back. The times will of course vary depending on the file size.

• Loading from Memory Stick: 1 Second.
    • Loading from 4GB Hard Drive: 8 Seconds.
    • Loading from UMD: 27 Seconds.

Battery Life on Movie Playback

To answer the question if a Microdrive consumes more power than a normal Memory Stick, we have put a couple of PSP's into test and waited until they shut down before running out of power.

• Playing movie with Standard Battery and SanDisk 1G Memory Stick: 4.45 Hours.
    • Playing movie with Datel X2 Battery and Datel 4GB Hard Drive: 5.45 Hours."

lord is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

STUPID comparison......

1. Does it really matter if the 4gb hd is slower than the 1gb stick if they're both faster than the UMD...

2. One hour more is still an hour more.....

3. Who cares if it takes a few SECONDS extra to copy the files to the HD the price difference makes up for it 1gb=$70 usd, 4gb=$250 usd .... the igb at this rate would cost about $360. That's 110 dollar differencce plus you lose an extra hour battery life.

I'm NOT FLAMIN' you.... I'm jusy merely stating my opinion like you did. I don't think it's that bad but the damn size is an issue!

Thx for the info :)

Alex187 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

IMO the big issue is that its fucking ugly

i mean is it really that big a deal to you..... it will probably make it more comfortable to hold

BE HONEST: The PSP can be a little uncomfortable to play after a while

Alex187 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

i cant see that making it more comfortable, and yes it is a big deal for me

each to thier own i guess

i think it would be asier if you wrapped ur whole hand around the psp and not just ur fingers and yes:

THAT CRAP IS HIDEOUS AND IT IS HUGE

but still $200 for 4gb and extra battery life and mediakit
    --or--
    2gb stick

MaHan05 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

i would ratter not buy this......i will wait untill they come out with a smaller model or something....

tommytwin is offline -Hacks Neophyte

The psp is to slick for that ugly thing!
    PSP 1.5 1 GiG
    Wipeout Pure GTA Socom Tons of Emulators and Roms

The ERJ is offline -Hacks Neophyte

I actually own the 4gb attachment plus X2 battery. Bought it from liksang a few weeks back. When I bought it I was worried about the look, shape and weight but I knew I wanted 4gig of room for music, ISOs, videos etc more.

After two weeks, I don't notice the added weight, the PSP is easier to hold and use with the sections sticking out the back and no one who I've showed it to really cares that it is twice as thick. The fact that I can play numerous games over one gig in size, watch movies and have over a gig of music is awesome. The first thing you'll be annoyed about is transfer times to the HDD from your PC. You can't just go "im off to the bus stop, I'll pop a 1.5gig game on my PSP before my bus arrives in ten min. Its not going to happen. You have to make sure that what u want to play is already on there as the transfer times are pretty crap. Other issue I have is that if u have hundreds and hundreds of MP3s, the PSP freezes for about 10seconds when u select the MUSIC folder (not just passing through on your way to the GAMES or VIDEO), but that is because the PSP is reading through all of the many MP3s.

Also you can't watch high quality movie files with the 4gig HDD if u own a 1.0 or 1.5 as the voice slowly drops out of sync with the video. With 2.0 AVC fixes that problem. I just tone down the quality, or use my old 1gig mem stick for movies.

What else...? The battery really serves to make up for the high power demand of the 4gig HDD. I only get around 6hours of play despite it being X2 power of the normal battery.

Other than that, it's great, it even stands upright on its own now so I can watch films without needing to support it. I recommend it, having original sized games like Fifa 06, Burnout, Taiko No Tatsujin, Bleach 2, MGA, Coded Arms, AI Go (which is only 20mb :P), Sengoku cannon, Guilty Gear XX, Fired Up and Nouryiku (only 20mb), all on at the same time, plus some small homebrew apps, 250mb of music and a couple of episodes of Family Guy (plus lumines in the UMD drive :P)

On long trips, having now two batteries and all that stuff on the PSP at once far makes up for the size increase and slower transfer times.
    -外人