Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PSP HDD or 2 Gig memory stick...

Ezra4no1 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I've been looking on eBay and figured I can get a 2 gig memory stick cheaper than the Datel 4gb HD .. But than again .. the HDD is larger but the memory stick keeps the form factor of the PSP...

Anyone have one or the other or both?
    Which do you perfer?? Why?? If the HD, whats the benifit or it it weird to hold literal a brick in your hands?

Joe88 is offline -Hacks Titan

It does not benifit it.
    All it does is make it bigger and take up more battery.

ShadowWolf is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

DO NOT GET THE 4GB! IT SUCKS!
    Go RIGHT HERE and HERE for free $$$. Not even kidding. I have earned $126 and $45 from this
    If YOU think stealth PWNS, then click HERE

Neo_burn is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

yeahh get the 2gb ms. The 4gb is so big and i heard it writes slow. Check out the reviews for this, i think there is one in the reviews section

darkunitzero is offline -Hacks Neophyte

2 gb foo! the denwhachama call it is slow, and i think psposs doesnt work on it=O if it wasnt that it was something else. um. but anyways if you get a ms get a sandisk one if you can. its faster

LeifErikson is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

i'd go with the 2gb

no the 4 gb

that thing pops out waay tooo much!

its like holding a brick,literaly, in your hands.

buts its all up to you if you wanna hold a brick in your hands or if you want to hold a compact gaming device. your choice.

PSN: LeifErikson01
    If your life had a face, I would punch it -- Kim Pine <3
    Visit and Join iPhone-hacks

gthirst is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

i'd go with the 2gb

no the 4 gb

that thing pops out waay tooo much!

its like holding a brick,literaly, in your hands.

buts its all up to you if you wanna hold a brick in your hands or if you want to hold a compact gaming device. your choice.
    ummm, no, it isnt.

See I actually have one, so I've actually held one. The PSP is no heavier with the bigger battery and hard drive. Its more comfortable to hold now. It still fits in my old psp case, so it doesnt take up more room.

Now on to actual techincal specs. Its slower than a memory stick, but faster than a UMD. Its still fast. It doesn't consume much battery life. You can play prince of persia for 8 hours and still have time left ont he battery. Oh, and its double capacity of the 2gb. And with 2gb you wont have enough storage. Get the 4gb.

I had the choice of buying either the 2gb, or the 4gb. And when it comes down to it, the double capacity is needed. I find myself actually deleting things to put other things on the 4gb (like isos for isos, no movies, and only a little bit of music) its great carrying around 4gb of storage, with nice handels. And no, its not big or sticking way off the PSP. The pictures make it look much bigger.

i think id have to agree with leiferikson. it does add about 125gs to your psp so that is heavier. personally i didnt like the size it was too bulky for the nice psp. plus ive been hearing that ther are some fitment problems.

it doesnt seem to comsume much more battery life cause you have that big batt block! writing and reading on the hdd is alittle too slow for me. theres also news that some homebrew doesnt work with the hdd =O i think its psposs.

i on the other hand am completely satisfied with my 1gb ms, but 2gb? drool. i have tried using the 4gb but didnt like it much. took too long to write, and kinda killed the portble gaming look of the psp.

here are some stats. which can be found at lik-sang.com
    btw the difference may nice seem alot but the time addes up.
    Transferring Movies to the PSP

In this test we have transferred a movie file with about 150 MB from the PC to the PSP's Memory Stick slot.

• Transferring to Memory Stick using Media Manager: 44 Seconds.
    • Transferring to 4GB Hard Drive using Media Manager: 90 Seconds.
    • Transferring to Memory Stick using Windows: 35 Seconds.
    • Transferring to 4GB Hard Drive using Windows: 75 Seconds.

Loading Times

Here is an overview of how loading files from the three different solutions compares. Please note that in this test we measured the time from pressing start in the PSP menu, until the file was fully loaded and could be played back. The times will of course vary depending on the file size.

• Loading from Memory Stick: 1 Second.
    • Loading from 4GB Hard Drive: 8 Seconds.
    • Loading from UMD: 27 Seconds.

Battery Life on Movie Playback

To answer the question if a Microdrive consumes more power than a normal Memory Stick, we have put a couple of PSP's into test and waited until they shut down before running out of power.

• Playing movie with Standard Battery and SanDisk 1G Memory Stick: 4.45 Hours.
    • Playing movie with Standard Battery and Datel 4GB Hard Drive: 3.35 Hours.
    • Playing movie with Datel X2 Battery and Datel 4GB Hard Drive: 5.45 Hours.

as you can see the datel hdd and batt does seem to provide an extra hour of play but with the loading times and bulkyness, id rather stick with the 2gb with faster everything. just my 2c

gthirst is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

More Storage owns a little bit of speed.

still the matter of size. i rather have it have sleek then bulky. btw why do you have so many isos. go buy some umds help ppl out =].

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast