Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ·ж₪ж·An Interveiw With... FANJITA·ж₪ж·

p0Wer is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Hey Everybody!

Recently, I bought myself a UK PSP magazine from WHSmiths. This magazine is called Go>Play. The magazine is packed with information about homebrew and downgrading ect...

In their latest issue, they interveiwed the "The King of Homebrew", (Fanjita) And here is the interveiw below... :cool:

Here is a photo of Fanjita (sorry it's rather large) :

The Interveiw:

UK Mag: So how long have you been interested in videogames then?

Fanjita: I've been playing videogames since the days of the Atari 2600, almost 30 years ago, and I've always been a fan of creating virtual worlds. In some ways the magic of the older videogames were much more like the magic of novels - because the graphics were primitive, you had to use your imagination more. These days, videogames are much closer to movies- even so far as as the plot tends to progress along rails the majority of the time.

UK Mag: And when did you first become fascinated with hacking?

Fanjita: Well, I first started programming with the Sinclair ZX-81, back in 1981. Back then, uising the computer was much more rough and ready, and not really removed from hacking. One of the most commen ways of getting software was to buy a magazine and type in programs from the source code that was listed there. It wasn't a huge step from there to programming for myself, so I guess you could say that I've been hacking in one form or another for the last 25 years.

UK Mag: So how on earth did you discover that GTA could be manipulated?

Fanjita: Let me just say that the credit for the GTA exploit is definatly not mine. It acctually belongs to a guy who goes by the name of "EdisonCarter" on the GTA forums, and who has done an awful lot of hacking various GTA versions. He discovered the vulnerbility in the code very soon after the release of GTA:LCS. What took the time from there was working out how to deal with the encryption that protects the gamesave data. This was a newly added security feature in the 2.0 firmware and Edison spent weeks cracking it. Eventually he had a tool that he used to create the Cheat Device, which was the the first homebrew on 2.01+. Edison was concerned about legal implications of publishing a tool to bypass encryption protection, and so he never published his methods. It was only a few weeks later, whem Jim Paris and psp123 independently repeated Edison's work that we were able to really open up full homebrew via GTA. With the help of information from Edison, , Ditlew and I were able to work with new tools to port my existing EBOOT loader to work on GTA.

UK Mag: So how long did it take to create your loader and were there any problems?

Fanjita: The EBOOT loader (now called eLoader) has been a work in progress over the last six months and I still don't consider it truly finished. The initial concept was proposed by Saotome, from the ps2dev.org forums and he produced a basic prototype that could load one or two very simple Homebrew programs - and he core of the eLoader is based on these principles. From there, it was a teh work of 2-3 months to get the eLoader into a state where it could handle the majority of homebrew code.

UK Mag: Your loaders are (in)famous for not supporting ISOs. What reaction have you recieved from the homebrew comunity about this?

Fanjita: I don't know whether Sony is hostile to Homebrew as it can lead to piracy, or just because it like to have control over each of its platforms. But what I do know is that piracyis damaging to any format. The more people that pirate software, the less money is made by software publishers. Some people use ROMs that they don't own with emulators, but I consider that a very small side effect of being able to run the majority of legal homebrew which would otherwise be impossible.

UK Mag: What do you think about the PSP's current Homebrew scene? How can you see it expanding in the future?

Fanjita: The Homebrew scene is growing slowly. The avaliablity of Homebrew on platforms has meant that more people will be creating their own Homebrew. I'm sure that some of those people will become major developers in the near future.

UK Mag: What makes the PSP so desirable when compared to other systems such as Xbox, DS and PS2?

Fanjita: The main attraction of the PSP as a platform in my opinion is the unique combination of power and portability. The PSP has lots of cool features, all in a form of factor that fits into your pocket.

UK Mag: So will you be making any other Homebrew games then?

Fanjita: Well, the eLoader takes most of my time to keep developing , so probably won't be doing much else untill its "Finished". There are one or two PSP projects that I would like to play with when I have the time, but I don't want to talk about them yet!

UK Mag: And what plans do you have in store for the future?

Fanjita: Well, the eLoader is pretty close to where I want to get right now. There are a few more things I would like to do with it, but fundamentally its getting close to "finished". There's still probally a few months of work left to do on the eLoader, so I've got plenty if time to make up my mind!

Well, I hope you enjoyed reading this interveiw with Fanjita, there were some interesting facts that I didn't know...

Hope you all like it! :mrgreen:

p0Wer

_foxBlade32_ is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I always thought Fanjita was japanese :/

elboffor is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

ive seen that guy before!
    any1 know whether he's from near yorkshire?
    with 2 grey hounds he probly is
    and the name fanjita is quite obviously taken from the british comedy show bo-selecta so i always knew he werent a jap

nice lil interview tho
    thx for postin it

He lives in scotland, in the UK.

pspHappy is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Cool a British Hacker
    Rock on!
    I love gta thanks to this guy
    THANKS

Calo is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

killaj is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

(O_o) THAT'S Fanjita!?

MAB_Leeder is offline -Hacks Hacker

wow i pictured him as a mexican dude, with one of those sumbrera hats on, smoking weed lol... hmm was i wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by killaj
    (O_o) THAT'S Fanjita!?
    Yeah, thats him! :bucktooth:

cls
    cls is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

he doesnt look like a coder....i would expected someone else.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast