Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: no more umds?????? READ MORE IN HERE

PSPHIX is offline -Hacks Smarty

i was @ my local rentway where i pay for my 52 inch tv and the manager said that sony is going to put it's games on 1gb memory sticks in the near future and do away with the umds because they have not really caught on like they had hoped. he also stated that ps3 will probably delayed again because they are having trouble with blu-ray technology. I for one dunno how true this is but i thought i would give ya all a heads up. (besides been awhile since i posted...lol) catch ya l8r:mrgreen:

drmadcow is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

i heard something like that blu-ray crap on the ps3 but i never heard bout the umds. It kinda sounds like he was just saying crap he heard from other people. I don't think they'd quit putting games on UMDs cause UMDs are waaaaaaay cheaper for sony to produce.

huhh is offline -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PSPHIX
    i was @ my local rentway where i pay for my 52 inch tv and the manager said that sony is going to put it's games on 1gb memory sticks in the near future and do away with the umds because they have not really caught on like they had hoped. he also stated that ps3 will probably delayed again because they are having trouble with blu-ray technology. I for one dunno how true this is but i thought i would give ya all a heads up. (besides been awhile since i posted...lol) catch ya l8r:mrgreen:
    That guy sounds like he's on crack. Cause none of that is true.

1) Alot of games wouldn't even fit on a 1gb memory stick in it's untouched form.
    2) You can buy a Blu-ray recorder for about $1000 USD.

There is no problems with blu-ray, it's a proven technology.

You should kick him in the ass for being a hoser.

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

damn hosers! kick him in the ass.
    If sony started putting games out on memory sticks they would have to use 2gig sticks, and would most likley make them read only. Look at how much a genuine sony 2gig stick costs and then imagine shelling out for one you can only use with the data that comes on it. Not doing.
    ( ^^)b

psychokill is offline -Hacks Veteran

he will be talking about this taken from dc emu

Sony Preparing to Phase Out UMD Movies? Memory Stick Tester Planned
    July 17th, 2006, 19:00 Posted By: wraggster

More on the UMD Movie Issue from Spong

As most movie and games industry pundits seek to write off the UMD as a viable format to host film releases, it looks as though Sony is set to rethink its offer to studios and retailers, with DVD movie combo packs set to ship with Sony Memory Sticks and PSP encoding software.

It was reported earlier this year on SPOnG that major studios were backing away from the format, and recently reports have flared talking of major US retailers backing away from UMD movies, or discontinuing their sale altogether.

Sony's answer, or at least the first stab at an answer, is to release Memory Stick Entertainment Packs. Two versions will be released, a one GB version (MSX-M1GSTEP) and a two GB (MEX-M2GSEP) version. In the US pricing will be $60 and $100 respectively, the same Sony asks for it's standard first-party Memory sticks.

Each pack will come complete with an installer DVD housing four Sony Pictures movies, Hitch, S.W.A.T., The Grudge, or XXX: State of the Union, and software that will install them onto the PSP ready-encoded. The only shortcoming right now is the resolution, with Sony offering the movies at a resolution of 320x240, much lower than the 480x272 the hardware can manage.

We'll bring you up to speed with this interesting development as more information is released.

huhh is offline -Hacks Veteran

Thats why people need to learn how to read.

Exiled is offline -Hacks Veteran

PS3 is going to lose out on profit look how much it is going 2 cost 300 - 400 poundz in UK :O, 2 dam expensive

psychokill is offline -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled
    PS3 is going to lose out on profit look how much it is going 2 cost 300 - 400 poundz in UK :O, 2 dam expensive
    its £420 in the uk game say europe is only get 1 of the 2 types and it will be £420 but if you look how much the blueray players are that come out at the same time as the ps3 it makes the ps3 look cheap as its half the price of the dedicated blueray players and does alot more

rdff41 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Two reason to why this is untrue.

1. Flash memory is not cheap enough or produced at the extent needed for all PSP games.
    2. That would yield one of the biggest useless features of the PSP, the UMD drive. Do you really think Sony would abandon their "portable ENTERTAINMENT system" if one could not store music and other files using their memory stick. It would stop homebrew quite well, but it would yield the PSP dead in the water.

My PSP: 2.01->2.5->1.5->3.02OE-A->3.02OE-B->3.03OE-C->3.30OE-A->3.40OE-A->1.5->3.52 M33->3.52 M33-4->3.80 M33->3.90 M33->4.01 M33->5.00 M33->5.00 M33-6->5.50 GEN D3

SirKillAlot is offline Senior Member -Hacks Hacker

sony's making movies introduced in memory sticks, BUT they are ALSO trying to release alot more UMD movie and get another chance with it
    Vote for my first t-shirt design "Constructive Motion" if you dig simplicity!
    http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/72245

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast