Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Object: Emulation improvment

lektrosonic is offline -Hacks Smarty

Hi all,
    I am following step-by-step (as many of you in this community) the releases of homebrew emulators for PSP.
    Specially the GameBoy Advance emulator by ZX-81 (sorry i if have written wrongly your nickname) but also the N64 one. Both of them are facing problems in the speed emulation (FPS if you prefer) which is a main aspect of an emulator. I do know that the developers of those homebrews emulators are guys who are not paid and that they are working on that on their free time (and we should thank them instead of criticise their low-speed emulator).
    I do know also that the emulation programming is one of the most difficult part of the developement art, because the programmer has to know how the emulated console works (usually the emulated consoles are very complicated) and afterward has to apply the system in the current running platform (in our case the PSP).

What I was thinking : lets concentrate on the rom structure. I really don't have any idea how a rom is built (for isos it is easy: dump from the cd) I guess a rom is a sort of dumping of the corresponding game. Emulators were out a long time ago on many platforms, but only once a dumping for each game was made. And because those dumpings were the first step of the emulation, my idea is that they could be old enought to be dumbped in a sort of 'bad way'.
    I think that at the same time of trying to improve the emulator (I mean the speed fps emulation), the developers could check also the dumping of the roms, maybe someone could build a new generation of roms that will help the increase the emulation speed. A new generation of roms? I mean to be dumped in a better way.

Probably I am telling stupid things, just don't insult me, I am trying to help the difficult project called 'emulation' by giving some ideas..

Pooky_187 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

I agree with what your saying about the emulators & how some people put down some how they dont run very well and if it wasn't for people with the passion of video games we wouldn't have them. As of ripping older games for roms such as N64, NES, SNES & Sega im not sure how they make roms of the cartriges but i know it cant be to easy and also you would have to find the original cartridge so i dont think anyone will do that, it would take a lot of time im sure plus there are tons of roms online that work great anyway.
    Gamer Since 1988 ~ 23+yrs as a GAMER

Maybe we could try with one rom and then compare to see.

Pooky_187 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

if you could find someone who knows how & they will i say go for it :)
    Gamer Since 1988 ~ 23+yrs as a GAMER

RaiderX is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

ROMs are exact dumps of the catridges and are recompiled into a single file much like ISOs are. Some ROMs are good dumps and some are bad. You will always know this by the codes on the filename when you download them.

The codes can be viewed here:
    http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/ROM#ROM_Abbreviations

The basic ones are [!] - perfect working dump, and [b] - bad dump.

The reason they are good or bad can be because of many things. No matter how they turn out, they are all dumped the same way.

I understand what you are saying, and I can see your logic, but it is flawed.

To dump the catridges in a 'different way' would be to recode much of them, thus simply porting the game. But thats takes LONG and is harder than making an emulator. The emulator is almost liek porting the system instead of porting each game individually.

Scimpy666 is offline -Hacks Guru

I know fuck all about programming, and appreciate the fact that there are people out there often sat alone till god awful hours drinking coffee and coke and going bald through the stress of getting their emulators just right. And what do people do (mainly 12yo noobs) they moan. It's not fast enough, it's too slow, my games don't work. People forget that they do this for free and in there own time.

Not only do they have to know the specs of the PSP, they have to know the specs of whatever machine they are trying to emulate, and that can't easy. There is still alot to found out about how the PSP works.

I'm glad that there are people out there who like video games even more than me. Cut them some slack and be patient. Anyway I've had my rant and now I'm off to test over a 1000 sega roms on DGen. (Thanks guys now the missus nicks my PSP so she can play sonic and Dr Robotniks Mean Beans!) :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Scimpy666
    I know fuck all about programming, and appreciate the fact that there are people out there often sat alone till god awful hours drinking coffee and coke and going bald through the stress of getting their emulators just right. And what do people do (mainly 12yo noobs) they moan. It's not fast enough, it's too slow, my games don't work. People forget that they do this for free and in there own time.

Not only do they have to know the specs of the PSP, they have to know the specs of whatever machine they are trying to emulate, and that can't easy. There is still alot to found out about how the PSP works.

I'm glad that there are people out there who like video games even more than me. Cut them some slack and be patient. Anyway I've had my rant and now I'm off to test over a 1000 sega roms on DGen. (Thanks guys now the missus nicks my PSP so she can play sonic and Dr Robotniks Mean Beans!) :lol:
    Hey dude, If you test Sonid The Hedhehog 1, Sonic 3D and Spot Goes to Hollywood, PLEASE tell me if they worked on DGen v16.0

Joe88 is offline -Hacks Titan

it does
    I posted it in the other u made that it does... >_>

RaiderX is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lektrosonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimpy666

Hey dude, If you test Sonid The Hedhehog 1, Sonic 3D and Spot Goes to Hollywood, PLEASE tell me if they worked on DGen v16.0
    you shoudl test em yourself, almost all the games run on DGEN. Except my favorite sonic game.... :sigh:

Joe88 is offline -Hacks Titan

I just tested all the soinc games for DGEN 1.60
    they all work fine at full speed you probably have a bad rom dump

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast