Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: umd drive stopped reading umd disk try this

1God1King is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

ok if your umd drive has stopped reading disk here is a simple fix

sony deserve's what it gets and you all know what i mean this is why
    clips for lcd break easy if you have this problem see my tutorial on how to repair
    http://punbb-hosting.dreamhosters.co...pic.php?id=376

now to umd drive problem NOT READING/ DRIVE NOISE
    The lubricant they use dries to a hard white paste

Now if your umd drive is no longer reading disk this could be your problem. I buy broken psp and attempt to repair and have had several not reading i notice that they all had white paste on the guides for the laser that had hardend upon removing this and using clipper oil drives work fine. this may or may not be your problem but before you go buy another drive give it a try i am sure we all have more time then money so dont be afraid to open your psp and get to know it . ok here we go

things you will need

philps head screwdriver
    guide to open psp http://www.psppart.com/guide/psp/pspparts.asp
    clipper oil or a non vegetable vegetable oil will dry hard over time
    rubbing alcohol
    toothbrush and q tips

[b]now they are several was to do it i am going to show you the easy but if you have the skills you should remove drive completly to make sure the jobs is done complete this includes removing the umd drive cover to get the back tracks but can be accomplished without doing it . i have used the method in this tutorial on a few with a good results

WARNING THE LCD CLIP IS VERY FRAGILE REMOVE VERY CAREFUL

follow steps 1-9
    1) go to guide on how to open psp and stop at remove motherboard you don't need to do this for this repair
    2) now that we have the lcd removed and lcd bracket lets examine the drive see photo if you do not notice any white paste thats fine you have come this far it will not hurt to lubricate the guides for if guides are dry laser will not slide properly and hang up this may also cause the laser not to read umds so continue and do what apply's to you

A=power board ribbion reomve becareful this is the same as the lcd clip
    B=these are the gears for the laser we will be using this to slide the laser back and forth on the guides
    C=this is the problem area check to see if you can see the white paste inside aswell as alongg the silve metal rod the laser move on
    D=this is the top guide[black] check to see if you also see white paste we will be cleaning the tops side aswell as using a q tip to get the underside aswell

3) ok once your have carefully removed A check C and D see photo

4) if paste is present on D continue if not go to step 5 now to clean D take q tip and dip in to alcohol remember this is a electronic device do not get it all over the motherboard . use q tip to clean away the white substance on top side and under side if laser is in the way DO NOT FORCE away use B by rotating in any direction until laser is clear use this method for step 5 aswell

5) if paste is not present go to step 6 now for C take toothbrush apply alcohol reminder if laser is in the way DO NOT FORCE away use B by rotating in any direction until laser is clear make sure to remove all white substance for silver guide along the lasers movement and in coner futherest away from laser

6) once this is done we are ready to lubricate get you oil place on guide D and along guide C and in the conner of guide C don't over do it but you want to make sure guides are lubricated guide for laser not to hang up

7) now that guides are lubricated use B to slide laser on guide checking to see that is spreading oil and moving freely

8) your done replace A ribbion replace lcd bracket don't not install screws reconnect lcd don't lock in bracket . if we need to lubricate more we won't have to remove screws or lcd to do so

9)place umd in drive and test if all's well secure all and your done

IF AFTER THIS TUTORIAL YOUR DRIVE IS STILL NOT READING DISK I APOLOGIZE FOR YOU TIME LOST BUT BETTER TIME THAN MONEY LOST IF IT DID WORK AND IF IT DIDN'T YOU NOW KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND YOUR PSP TO INSTALL YOUR NEW ONE UMD DRIVE

please let me know if this repair goes well for you

CLICK HERE FOR PSP REPAIR HELP

Hardware-Repairs-Help-Thread needs your Help looking for Donations to obtain more parts to help members every little bit helps thanks To DONATE CLICK SIG to DONATE PARTS PM ME

GIGANEWS 14day free trail http://www.giganews.com/?c=1god1king (English) Newsgroup try them out at no cost for 14 days

ImpuLse is offline -Hacks Neophyte

oh well i'm screwed lol (my UMD drives works fine for now) but when it does go i can't open my psp cuz i messed the screws up tryin to put a faceplate on... they won't even spin round cuz the screw head has been deformed

cool :D

Hardware-Repairs-Help-Thread needs your Help looking for Donations to obtain more parts to help members every little bit helps thanks To DONATE CLICK SIG to DONATE PARTS PM ME

GIGANEWS 14day free trail http://www.giganews.com/?c=1god1king (English) Newsgroup try them out at no cost for 14 days

psychokill is offline -Hacks Veteran

never knew this happend with the psp all i can say is sony should pay some1 to make their drives the ps1 had drive problems the ps2 had lens problems the psp has problems cant wait to see the repair price for the blueray one in the ps3 lol

ya wonder what problems the ps3 will have :paranoid:

Teebor is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by psychokill
    never knew this happend with the psp all i can say is sony should pay some1 to make their drives the ps1 had drive problems the ps2 had lens problems the psp has problems cant wait to see the repair price for the blueray one in the ps3 lol
    I remember the old story (and I don't know if there is an ounce of truth to it) but sony supposedly manufactured the drive and some other parts used in the construction of the original Playstation for Nintendo for a new machine they were to release. Nintendo dumped the CD drive idea and stuck with carts and sony decided to produce the Playstation with what they had.

Great guide 1God1King. Hopefully since my PSP is only a couple of weeks old I won't have to do this for a while.
    I finally updated my sig, can\'t thing of anything decent to put it in though

psychokill is offline -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Teebor
    Quote Originally Posted by psychokill
    I remember the old story (and I don't know if there is an ounce of truth to it) but sony supposedly manufactured the drive and some other parts used in the construction of the original Playstation for Nintendo for a new machine they were to release. Nintendo dumped the CD drive idea and stuck with carts and sony decided to produce the Playstation with what they had.

Great guide 1God1King. Hopefully since my PSP is only a couple of weeks old I won't have to do this for a while.
    the real truth is sega helped sony get a leg up making the ps1 hence the similaritys between the saturn and ps1 and look how that worked out for sega lol

Teebor is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

AHAHAHAHA

that'll teach them.. They should have arranged for a % of sales :D
    I finally updated my sig, can\'t thing of anything decent to put it in though

laurence is offline -Hacks Guru

kool :)

If your wondering where I am and cant seem to find me around I\'m at ps3-hacks

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Nice tut! I checked one of my bricked psp's and that white paste stuff you talk about is forming already :lol:
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast