Thread: So how does the PSP normally update? How do games work with firmware?

todd72173` is offline -Hacks Smarty

Just curious how PSP updates itself w/o using custom firmware or installers? I know how to flash myself - but curious how a normal PSP user goes about updating it. Say, a user buys a game requiring 3.02 FW. He has a 1.52 PSP. Does the PSP connect to internet, download 302 firmware, then prompt him to flash it? Does sony really make users take the risk of bricking their psp's for games they bought? Or does the update save files on the memory card and no flashing ever takes place?

1.52>2.0>1.50>3.02 Oe-a>3.02 Oe-a\'>3.03 Oe-b>3.40 OE-A>3.51 MM3-6>3.71+1.50 ADD-ON>3.90 MM3-2+1.50>4.01 M33-2 w/1.50

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Dont you have any umds?
    Each game come with an official update eboot. So you just run it from the disc, using the update icon that pops up under the game/umd icon.
    And yes, there is as much chance of bricking from an official sony firmware update as there is from using xflash or installing 302OE.
    ( ^^)b

todd72173` is offline -Hacks Smarty

Nope- no UMD games. Only have the sample disc - which obviously doesnt have an update eboot since its all demos only. Damn, didnt think Sony would force users to flash firmware in order to play a game.
    1.52>2.0>1.50>3.02 Oe-a>3.02 Oe-a\'>3.03 Oe-b>3.40 OE-A>3.51 MM3-6>3.71+1.50 ADD-ON>3.90 MM3-2+1.50>4.01 M33-2 w/1.50

Shadxow is offline -Hacks Newbie

A while back i downgraded my 1.50 psp to a 1.00. Being stupid i installed a theme for a 1.50 onto the 1.00, the only problem the psp has now is loading the font, so wen u turn it on it loads the bg, and if the (sampler disc, only umd i have tried) is inside then it auto loads it with no problem, but if there is no umd the psp freezes after about a second then turns off after about 2-5 seconds. then i wondered if there is a way to load up the update file from a umd so i can update my psp, then downgrade it back to 1.50.

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Shadxow, are you still running 1.0?

If so, get the 1.5 update eboot from the download section. Under PSP/GAME on your memstick create a new folder named UPDATE, put the eboot in there and you should be able to run that to return to 1.5.
    ( ^^)b

yes i am still running 1.00, but the thing is i cannot load the xmb, the only thing that loads is the background, the battery meter, and the clock. If, however, there is a umd in the psp then since the psp is set to autorun the umd it skips loading the xmb. but when there is no umd in the psp, then when it tries to load the xmb, like i said it loads the bg, battery meter, and the clock, after like about a second, the waves freeze and the psp shuts down in like 2-5 seconds.

turboda6 is offline -Hacks Newbie

pop gta lcs in there, it'll update you to 2.0 then you can easily downgrade again.

Sh0nuf is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

no itll just say "This UMD requires you to update to version X.XX" and it will take you back to the XMB....

man.. thats a tough situation
    2.01 -> 2.60 -> (trade) 2.00 -> 1.5 -> brick -> (trade) 2.6(TA-O82) -> 2.71(TA-082) -> 1.5 (TA-082) -> 3.02 OE-(B) -> 3.03 OE-(B-C) -> 3.10OE(\') -> (Bought white psp) -> 3.50(new PSP) -> 1.50 -> 3.52 M33 -> 3.71 M33

thanks Fanjita, Noobz, and Dark_Alex

hellz yea it is lol, nd i already tried the gta, that was like the first thing i tried, and exactly what Sh0nuf aid happened.

EDIT: is there a umd, however, that is basically an update, like it auto loads an update eboot, or it has some demo stuff, and from the selection menu in the umd there is an update option?