Thread: Hello everyone, new member here...

SoundSev3n is offline -Hacks Newbie

New to the forum and only recently purchased my PSP.

I've heard all kinds of stories about people tinkering with their PSP units and wanted to see what I could do with mine.

The first question I want to ask is about downgrading. When I popped Grand Theft Auto into the PSP I was prompted to upgrade to 2.80 if I wanted it to work. So if I downgrade in order to mess around with all the hacks/progs...

how hard is it to upgrade again?

is it worth downgrading if I want to play my normal UMD games?

drmadcow is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

You can downgrade and still play ANY UMD that's out today. you just need to use a loader called "devhook" or after you've downgraded you can upgrade to "3.02 OE" which is a custom update that lets u use all the new stuff along w/ all the homebrew and free stuff.

As long as you DONT upgrade past 2.80 you'll be able to downgrade to 1.5. But currently there is no point whatsoever upgrading past 1.5 unless its to "3.02 OE" which isnt the same as the update off Sony's site and you need 1.5 to upgrade to it to that.

But if I were you I would at least downgrade to 1.5 and use devhook to play your UMD and if you got a big enough memory card download some ISO's (free psp games that normaly u'd have to buy teh umd for but can dl em).

One things for sure no matter what you decide to do after you downgrade to 1.5 and that is NEVER upgrade using any update coming from Sony.

SanzioSan is offline -Hacks Veteran

Upgrade to 3.02 OE-B its the way to go. U dont need to run devhook to play ur gta since its 3.02. And u get 99% homebrew compatibility. it makes it alot simpler.

And about upgrading. Its very very easy to upgrade. All u do is make sure ur batterys charged to at least 75% have the ac adapter pluged in. Download the update put it in PSP\GAME\UPDATE folder then run it from ur memory stick. Then follow through. There really is no point in doing this once you get 3.02 OE though
    Translation: Blah blah blah blah blah

cipprianni is offline -Hacks Neophyte

personally I'm a fan of 1.5 firmware over DarkAlex's custom firmware............. but hey thats me
    if you do decide to stick with 1.5 i recommend installing RECOVERY MODE just as a safety precaution you never know better to be safe than sorry XFLASH can be used to install RECOVERY MODE ****DO THAT FIRST*****[
    Before messing with your flash you should definitely have some kind of recovery mode
    I strongly recommend the RECOVERY MODE simply because i have done just about everything on my psp's and really thought i had every thing down to a science then one day I succeeded doing something on my psp I have never done before
    I BRICKED on of my precious baby's now I'm waiting for a mod chip to bring her back!
    now if i had RECOVERY MODE I could unbrick instantly without the mod chip

Needless to say all it takes is one tiny mistake and you can render your psp useless (plus with all those bricking viruses and what not its good to be protected

BEFORE DOWNGRADING RESTORE YOUR DEFAULT SETTINGS AND CHARGE BATTERY TO 100%

Good Luck

any questions feel free to ask.

Toni C.
    10 psps and thirsty for more
    Got a question??? just ask. Want an answer NOW then use the search button (its real easy)

IF YOU DON\'T KNOW WHAT YOUR FLASH IS YOU SHOULDN\'T BE MESSING WITH IT!!!!!

SoundSev3n is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well I'm charging my battery (from dead 0) for the downgrade and upgrade so it will be a while.

More questions...

Where can I get these ISO's or is it against the rules/law to tell me?

Never download from Sony because it locks things up?

**Whats the difference between Devhook and 3.02 OE-B?

**Can I play ISO's and use home-brew stuff on 3.02 OE-B?

Should I make a new topic in under a specific sub-forum related to my questions?
    (I dunno how strict you guys are about that kinda thing)

cipprianni is offline -Hacks Neophyte

you get ISO's when you backup the UMD not very hard ( i use umddump2)

Devhook is a firmware emulator and is used to do just that Devhook only emulates the potential firmware and if somethings in the wrong place it will just not work (doesn't write to the FLASH) MUCH SAFER THAN 3.02OE-B

3.02OE-B is an actual firmware version (writes to the FLASH as with all programs that write to the flash USE AT YOUR OWN RISK) it combines the homebrew capabilities 1.50 with the newest features in 3.02

playing ISO's on 3.02OE-B is much easier than having to run Devhook to load your ISO's Homebrew is also compatible about 90% compatible to be exact
    with 3.02OE-B thers no need to use devhook to play your UMD's

REMEMBER WHICHEVER YOU CHOOSE you can keep 1.5 and install just the recovery mode using Xflash (recommended)
    10 psps and thirsty for more
    Got a question??? just ask. Want an answer NOW then use the search button (its real easy)

IF YOU DON\'T KNOW WHAT YOUR FLASH IS YOU SHOULDN\'T BE MESSING WITH IT!!!!!