Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Firmware capabilities

a'fiy is offline -Hacks Guru

Source : http://www.psphacking101.com/forum/v...2b0c1016e70297

Quote Originally Posted by PSP Vault
    Firmware

What can I do with the PSP?

What you can do with the PSP depends entirely on what firmware version it is running. Here's a handy-dandy chart I've put together that shows the different capabilities of the PSP at different levels of firmware.

How do I know what version firmware I have?

On your PSP, go into the "Settings" menu, choose "System Settings," then choose "System Information." You'll see the "System Software" version.

OK, but why would I want anything other than the latest firmware? Why doesn't this guide just say "Update to the latest firmware version"?

Newer firmware versions feature ever-increasing countermeasures to prevent users from running unauthorized software ("Homebrew") on their PSPs. Many firmware updates were created solely to prevent users from running homebrew on their PSPs. Please refer to the "Homebrew" section of this document for more information about homebrew.

OK, I know what version firmware I have. But I want to change firmware versions. Can I do this?

Maybe. You will always be able to upgrade (going from firmware 1.50 to 2.60 or 1.52 to 2.00, for example). However, you may not be able to downgrade (going from 3.01 to 1.50 is currently not possible, for example). The following decision structure will help you determine whether or not you are able to change to a particular firmware version.

Downgrade? What's that?

Downgrading is where you install a firmware version on your PSP that has a lower number than the version you currently have installed. Going from version 2.60 to version 1.50, for example, is a downgrade. Downgrading is not officially supported by Sony. In fact, Sony has taken steps to prevent users from downgrading. Downgrading takes advantages of holes in the PSP's security to force the changes on the system. Thus, you must be very careful when downgrading, because you could permanently damage your PSP.

Oh nuts. Looks like I can't make the firmware change I wanted to.

Independent software developers (sometimes referred to as "hackers" within the PSP scene) have made several advancements in the life of the PSP. PSP-Vault regularly reports on important developments regarding firmware, so as long as you keep track of the news, the day when you can make the change you want may come. In fact, this very guide must be regularly updated to reflect the latest information.

I'm running firmware version X, and I might I want to use homebrew one day. What do you recommend I do?

Given the current situation, PSP-Vault recommends you do not upgrade past firmware version 2.70. No downgraders are available for firmware versions beyond 2.81. Think of firmware version 2.81 as the "one way door" of homebrew -- go beyond this door and you will not be able to come back inside. Going to firmware 3.01, for example, will deprive you of your ability to downgrade.

Cool. I can make the firmware change I want to. Now how do I do that?

For upgrades, all you will need to do is run the necessary firmware update on your PSP. For our purposes, we'll assume you want to upgrade to one of the following firmware versions.
    Firmware 2.00 is offered here in our File Vault. Download the EBOOT file, place it in your PSP\GAME\UPDATE\ folder, and run it by selecting "Software Update 2.00" from "Memory Stick" under "Games" on your PSP.

Firmware 3.03 is currently the latest, so it is offered at the official Sony website.

Please note that there is no difference in firmware versions from region to region. There is no such thing as a "Japanese version," "American Version," or "European Version" of the firmwares. Downloading a firmware update from another region is perfectly fine, but please note Sony says installing a foreign version will void your warranty. Not that they would be able to find out.

For downgrades, the process is a bit more complicated. The first step is to determine what revision of PSP you have. Do not attempt to continue until you have determined your PSP revision. Failure to fully understand what you're getting yourself into can permanently damage your PSP. What's more, Sony refuses to service PSPs whose warranties have been voided by usage of unauthorized software, so you may end up having to purchase a new PSP.

There are several PSP revisions. To determine your PSP revision, consult this image as you look inside your PSP drive bay door to see if you can spot the small text that reads "IC1003". If you see IC1003, your PSP is revision TA-082 or above, and you should thus consult the "TA-082 or above" portion of this text. If you do not see IC1003, your PSP is revision TA-081 or below, and you should thus consult the "TA-081 or below" portion of this text.

---TA-081 or below---

At the time of this writing, there are four downgrades possible for TA-081 or below PSPs: 2.00/2.01 to 1.50, 2.50/2.60 to 1.50, 2.71 to 1.50, and 2.80 to 1.50. Necessary files and instructions for the 2.00/2.01 to 1.50 downgrader are offered here. Necessary files and instructions for the 2.50/2.60 downgrader are offered here. Necessary files and instructions for the 2.71 downgrader are offered here. Finally, necessary files and instructions for the 2.80 to 1.50 downgrader are available here.

---TA-082 or above---

PSP revisions TA-082 through TA-086 currently exist. There is only one downgrader available for such PSP revisions: 2.71 to 1.50.

Are these changes permanent? Can this damage my PSP?

As long as you upgrade only as far as 2.71, the changes will not be permanent. If, for example, you currently have firmware 1.50, you can upgrade to 2.60, then downgrade to 1.50 should you decide to. However, if you upgrade to 2.80, you will NOT be able to go back to any previous firmware version.

Is there a way I can "sample" the new features offered by 2.80 and above without actually upgrading my PSP?

Yes. Homebrew called "DevHook" (which runs on firmware version 1.50 PSPs) is currently able to "emulate" firmware versions as high as 3.03, allowing you to try them out before you actually install them. One particularly stunning development is the release of custom firmware 3.02 OE, bringing all of the capabilties of a 3.02 PSP to a 1.50 PSP, alongside fantastic homebrew support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homebrew

Why does anyone make such a big deal about firmware versions? Wouldn't it make the most sense to always keep your PSP updated with the latest firmware?

Looking closely at the firmware capabilities chart, you'll notice a section called "Homebrew," and how all firmware versions 2.00 and above only have partial firmware support.

Homebrew? What is that?

If you were to write a piece of software for the PSP on your own, it would be "homebrew." "Unsigned code" is another phrase. Sony takes new steps to prevent users from running custom-built programs on the machine (most likely to prevent piracy) with each firmware updating, meaning only earlier firmware versions are able to run homebrew.

So I have to write my own software? I'm not a programmer.

No. There are a variety of homebrew programs available for the PSP on the internet.

So I can download these programs, and run them on my PSP?

Exactly.

What kind of programs are available? Are they all games?

A wide variety of programs are available, many of which are not games. PSPRadio, for example, enables the PSP to receive Shoutcast streams from the internet using its integrated 802.11b. Web servers, image viewers, media players, text readers, and other kinds of software are available.

One particularly popular type of homebrew software is is an "emulator." An emulator is a piece of software that uses a machine's hardware to act as though it were a different machine. There are many emulators available for the PSP, such as a Super Nintendo emulator, Game Boy emulator, Sega Genesis emulator, and so on. These emulators will allow you to play respective games on your PSP, though keep in mind that due to legal issues, we cannot allow game requests or sharing here at PSP-Vault. We do however offer a selection of the emulators themselves in the "Yet Another Homebrew Pack." Instructions for installing the games/emulators are included in the file.

Cool! I've found a program I want. Now what?

Chances are, instructions were included with the file you downloaded. Please read them. Because of the wide variety of homebrew software available, it is difficult to create a generic set of instructions that can guide you through the setup process.

All of this sounds pretty serious. I mean come on. Is there really no way I can play homebrew on my PSP? Do I really have to "downgrade" to use homebrew?

It depends on to what extent you want to use homebrew. The most straightforward way to run homebrew is to simply use Fanjita and Friends' eLoader. It will run on PSPs with firmware versions as high as 2.80.

But that's not the end of the story. As you get higher in PSP firmware versions, their homebrew capabilities also go down. The most extensive homebrew support is found in firmware 1.50, considered the "golden" firmware for homebrew. Continuing down the line until firmware 2.80, you'll find at least partial homebrew support every step of the way, though certainly not to the extent of firmware 1.50.

Going in to the exact technical discrepancies is unnecessary; what's most important is that you are aware that certain homebrew software may not run properly on a 2.00 or above PSP. Also, to run homebrew on PSPs with these firmware versions, you will typically need a homebrew "loader" of some sort.

Note that several developers are currently working on homebrew support for firmware versions 2.81 and above. More information on these rapid developments can be found on PSP-Vault's front page.

I'll be frank with you; I don't care about this "homebrew."

As long as you do not care about homebrew, and never plan on caring, you might as well update to the latest version of PSP firmware. The ability to play homebrew is the only capability Sony has removed in their firmware updates. As long as you have the latest firmware version, you can rest assured that you have all of what the PSP has to offer. Besides homebrew.

I've heard you can download PSP games and play them from a Memory Stick. Can you tell me how to do this? Where can I download some games?

No, and stop pirating video games.

Good luck!

Cintro Download

::[Mr Nice Guy a.k.a Hafiy ::]

brk3 is offline -Hacks Member

wow, who gives a shit. fuck off

eram_hiram is offline Senior Member -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by brk3
    Me.... :sigh: In case you didn't noticed, this is a PSP forum, everything related to PSP is acceptable.... sooooo

Thanks!
    I\'m a proud parent!!!
    \"I\'m gonna be a father soon(november/december)!!!!!\"

scooochie4 is offline -Hacks Hacker

Quote Originally Posted by brk3
    Hey man, take it easy. Everyone has to start somewhere

P*S*P*K*I*C*K*S is offline -Hacks Newbie

I thought it is quite informative. Something I haven't seen before.

Although i would dissagree with the homebrew support!

mahfood1990 is offline -Hacks Guru

it has some mistakes or maybe it is kinda old
    eg: 2.80 downgradability, 2.71 homebrew running(HEN)
    any way thanks
    "In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

This is old, by that I mean, outdated. They really need to update it...

chinz is offline -Hacks Veteran

would have thought that most of us would know this any way

but nice find

as

Chaos Zero said a bit old

Teebor is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Thought it looked old as I thought that one of the 2.7x firmwares supported 8GB sticks as well (or was it 2.8x I always forget)
    I finally updated my sig, can\'t thing of anything decent to put it in though

a'fiy is offline -Hacks Guru

Thanks for editting .
    Cintro Download

::[Mr Nice Guy a.k.a Hafiy ::]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast