Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Disabling the Network Update + Customizing Menu Labels in OE-C

Xenn is offline -Hacks Smarty

Edit: I'm sure there are little guides elsewhere and most people could've figured this stuff out on their own, but I figured I'd be helpful.

This is my small guide on how to edit XMB Menu labels and disable the network update tool; it might be useful until the next X-Flash comes out (unless it already did; I'm too lazy to look).
    The only reason you'd want to disable the functionality of the network update tool is to prevent accidental updating in the event that Sony releases a new firmware. I guess the reason for editing the XMB Menu labels is the same reason you'd want to change your background or XMB icons; customization.

Start by backing up flash0 and flash1 to your PC. It's always good to have working copies of all of the crap on your flash memory.

Disabling the network update tool:
    The file we want to modify is in flash0:\vsh\resource. Boot up the PSP in recovery mode and enable the 'Toggle USB (flash0)' option under 'Advanced'. Next, use your computer to navigate to \vsh\resource under the PSP drive. Open the file called update_plugin.rco in a hex editor or in notepad. Press control+a to highlight all of the information, and tap [backspace] or [delete] on your keyboard to delete it. Exit, saving all changes.

Do not make a backup of the file if prompted by your hex editing software (unless you copy the file to your computer before editing it) as it'll probably make the backup file in the flash memory... which is bad...

Anyway, all this does is render the network update tool useless. It's perfectly safe, as this file isn't vital to the PSP, but make a backup, just in case.

Editing XMB Menu labels:
    Edit: You need a decrypted topmenu_plugin.rco for this, which can be generated from one of the custom XMB topmenu generators. I used xmbPackager v0.3.
    Here's one: http://www.rogepost.com/n/2694439841

Navigate to flash0:\vsh\resource on your PSP and open topmenu_plugin.rco in a hex editor (I prefer Hex Workshop). Using the Find tool (control+f), look for a text string containing the name of the XMB Menu label you'd like to edit. As for the type of string to search for, select 'unicode' and hit 'find'. Once you locate the menu labels you're free to edit them as you wish. Just be sure to keep them the same number of characters as before, and use the proper spacing and such. I changed Music to Audio and Game to Code, as these seemed more suitable toward what the menus are actually used for on my (and many other people's) PSP.

Enjoy

p0Wer is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

This is a tutorial so would you like me to move it tutorials?

Sure :)
    (Wasn't sure how to create a new topic in the tutorials section)

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Xenn
    Sure :)
    (Wasn't sure how to create a new topic in the tutorials section)
    You can't :)

>>>> MOVED >>>>

taekwondo is offline -Hacks God

very nice but it doesnt really help alot.. i mean u can add more stuff , like how to change the backround, change gamboots stuff like that still na bad..

Nacos is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Not working.. i can't edit teh 3.02oe-c menu names.... they are excrypted..

osiron23 is offline -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nacos17
    Not working.. i can't edit teh 3.02oe-c menu names.... they are excrypted..
    I think you have to use the topmenu_plugin.rco made by the XMB Icon changers.... Those decrypt it.

You need a decrypted... ^what he said.

nekoakuma is offline -Hacks Hacker

Do not make a backup of the file if prompted by your hex editing software.
    All this does is render the network update tool useless. It's perfectly safe, as this file isn't vital to the PSP, but make a backup, just in case.
    eh?

[off-topic] tried the flash0usb without actually knowing. i just tried to remember the layout from what i learnt from customizing devhook. lol. least i know it's more or less the same.
    Launch PSP-1002 5.50 Prome-4 [Backup/Recovery PSP]
    Near-Launch PSP-1000 6.39ME-4 [Homebrew/iR controller]
    Near-Launch PSP-2002 5.50 Prome-4 [Games/Movies]

marre is offline -Hacks Newbie

http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Good site to use when hexing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast