Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I hack my psp?

42972973 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Im completely new to the hacking scene. Ever since I heard about the downgrade from 3.03 ive been considering hacking my psp. I'm not too worried about bricking it since i got it for dirt cheap but what I am worried about is if hacking will affect my psp's compatiblity with ps3 or new psp games. I still want to buy some games, and I know some games make you update to new official firmware before letting you play. So will hacking affect my psp's ability to play umd games or ps3 connectivity? And are there any other downsides to hacking that I should know about?

Kypt is offline -Hacks Smarty

Hacking will give you the best of official plus the best of homebrew. You'll be able to do all of the official stuff plus ISOs :P

Basically you downgrade to 1.5 and then upgrade to the custom firmware 3.10A'. It will behave just like the official 3.10 so Sony will recognize it as 3.10, w/ the difference that you can run ISOs and homebrew. UMDs will be unaffected. If they require 3.03 they will see your 3.10 and will work perfect.

Slivver is offline -Hacks Newbie

Ok, if you downgrade your PSP to 1.50, and then UPGRADE to one of the custom firmwares (3.02 OE series, 3.03 OE series, 3.10 OE series) then you have ALL the benefits of the 1.50 firmware (Homebrew, ISO, etc) PLUS all the new features of the latest Sony firmware (Web Browser, PS1 emulator, Mp3 Visualizer, etc etc) (you do lose the location free player though..) Additionally UMD games believe that the latest firmware is ALREADY installed (as the custom firmware uses a great deal of the firmware it is customized from...) so their really isn't much of a downside.

You will always stand a chance of bricking your PSP when flashing, but the new flashers are *almost* as safe as the Sony Firmware Updates themselves. The downgrading is the most risky, and in your case you would need an unpatched version of GTA LCS, however if you have those things and are willing to take the risk, the downgrade / upgrade process exponentially increases the amount of things you can do with your PSP.

(My .02)

Man. is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

he's a $ony ninja, jk

you get the most out of your psp if you get a custom fm
    --------------------мαкανєℓι тнα ∂ση--------------------

42972973 is offline -Hacks Newbie

So keeping up to date with custom firmware should be just as good as keeping up to date with official firmware, from the UMD's point of view? And thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Kypt is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by 42972973
    So keeping up to date with custom firmware should be just as good as keeping up to date with official firmware, from the UMD's point of view? And thanks for the quick replies everyone!
    Basically yeah. Sony firmware comes out, within the week Dark_Alex has the customized version of that firmware up for grabs. So...games don't really get that custom firmware requirement until several months later. Basically, if you keep up with the OE series of updates, you'll be WAY ahead the newest game requirement.

HookBott is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Yes hack it, it makes the PSP more enjoyble

Games like a Grrl is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

There's just so much homebrew that makes hacking worthwhile, go for it. Be careful doing it, and read up on everything before you start, but you'll be happy with the results.

5150_bynature is offline -Hacks Neophyte

If you can answer yourself these questions......

1. What is homebrew
    2. What do I need to hack
    3. What's the best Custom Firmware for me
    4. Is it illegal?
    5. After I hack then what.

WITHOUT ASKING IN A FORUM Then yes you should hack it. If you can't answer yourself those questions with a little research, don't do it. Ofcourse a little help is always needed, but there's help questions that are obviously stated from someone with some understanding of "modding"----then there's just plain "DUH??" If you think you're going to be in the "DUH??" category "You're" gonna fuck something up. That's just my honest opinion. ::sigh:
    . __________
    ~Y/ =====-__|~==>
    / |L)~~ TIMES UP!
    |_| FW=3.03 OE-C

waldog is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Even if you buy games, being able to carry some of them on 1 stick (iso's) instead of 4 or 5 umd's is a good enough reason to hack it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast